Main Menu

These are some of the things that I like...

Started by paulvonscott, 25 April, 2005, 03:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

"I seem to remember that the Porridge movie wasn't too bad... "

Porridge was okay, even if it was really a reworking of an existing episodes.  Dads Army movies were more Dads Army, and the Steptoe and Son movies weren't too terrible.  Eveything else was very bad I think.

Quirkafleeg

Yeah - Porridge not bad, Steptoe not bad... but none of the 'em are as good, or even close to the best episodes of the series.

I noticed Hotel Paradiso was on telly the other week but I deliberatly avoided it as I found Bottom about as funny as drinking weed-killer

paulvonscott

Most of the movies to sitcoms, just trod old ground really.

No, HP's pretty fecking bad.  Both Rik and Ade can be very funny (or very annoying), I'd much rather have had a Bad News movie.

Trout

I really enjoyed Bottom, and most of their admittedly samey stuff over the years.

But I hated Hotel Paradiso. It just seemed so much more nasty.

- Trout

Bico

Just rewatch Mr Jolly Lives Next Door and pretend it's the Bottom movie - over twenty years old, but still very funny.

Byron Virgo

And it has Peter Cook in it as a homicidal hitman!

And he murders Nicholas Parsons!

On the Buses may have been Hammer's most financially successful film, but it only actually accrued 2 million pounds, and if you took into account inflation and so on it'd get beaten into the ground by The Quatermass X-Periment, Curse of Frankenstein (ques round the block in New York) and Dracula (or Horror of Dracula, which even teenagers in Slough snuck in to see).

Best bricom adaptation is either the Likely Lads or Steptoe & Son (quite possibly the most depressing film ever made, and almost makes me suspect that it was secretly shot by Ingmar Bergman).

Matt Timson

"I think the only one that can think of that's barely acceptable is the Likely Lads one. And even thats not that good."

Funniest bit in that is where James Bolam is driving that van about with the loudspeaker on it saying "it wasn't my fault" to the other bloke's wife (you have to be there really).

That and the fact that...

...Mary Tamm's in it.

;)
Pffft...

paulvonscott

Can't believe I forgot 'Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads'.

Art

Charlize Theron doesn't look nearly weird enough. And they'll probably fuck it up by having it make sense (or at least explaining everything), instead of the wonderful weirdness of the animations.

(She was brilliant, and utterly repellant, in Monster though)

Byron Virgo

Funniest bit is when he's fishing on the canal, and he say to Rodney Bewes "I'd offer you a can but I've only got six".