Main Menu

E3 2006 - Sony Edition

Started by The Amstor Computer, 08 May, 2006, 09:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

Hope no-one minds these threads, but I know there are quite a few gamers on the board & I thought it would be good to have a set of threads dedicated to the news coming out of this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo. I've started three separate threads so that news & discussion about one company, or games for their console, can be kept a bit clearer. For anyone unsure of what's expected this year, I've posted a brief summary of some of the main announcements expected.

SONY

PRESS CONFERENCE

May 9 @ 12.00am (available live on gamespot.com)

WHAT TO EXPECT?

The full unveiling of the PlayStation 3. The final hardware design and controller design to be revealed. Rumours from gaming sites suggest that the controller may implement limited motion sensitivity - although that would be a fraction of what Nintendo's controller is capable of, would that steal some of their thunder?

Launch titles to be showcased - may be playable, but rumoured to be behind closed doors. Other major titles to be on display - Metal Gear Solid 4, Ridge Racer 7, Final Fantasy XIII (or possible FFVII remake) and others all expected or confirmed.

Blu-Ray playback demonstrated.

Price may be announced.

Rumoured PSP hardware redesign & price drop may be announced. New and forthcoming PSP titles to be on display. Future lineup to be announced.

Devons Daddy

the new design PSP has caused a huge price drop in version 1 and 2 of the current console, its now S$300 agaqinst the $450 is was at christmas, thats a huge price drop in sucha short time.

but i hear the version 2 will include an anti piracy code,to stop the current huge volume of loss of sales through internet download sites.
its possible to get all PSP games these days if you have version 1 or 2 for a monthly subcription fee.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Radbacker

gee wow, sequals and re-makes from Sony Yippeee.

CU Radbacker

Art

Hey, that $800 console is going to be AWESOME.

Radbacker

yeah, but remember you can play Blue Ray Discs on it.  Now if someone could actually find me a release on Blue Ray that doesn't cost me my first born?
Wonder if B.R. will be succesful as the UMD format, at the very least they'll be able to charge us doulble for movies we aready own on DVD

CU Radbacker

Meathook

Ha Ha!! Yes that is the way of future technology, convince us all that things have improved sevenfold so we part with our hard earned cash and replace the items we already own , when the true improvement is not sooo high!! What mugs we are!!!
Each peach pear plum!

Radbacker

I wouldn't complain about the format change but I have over 400 original DVD movies and T.V shows, which is quite an investment on my part and I certainly ain't changing yet.
Was it Matt Goening(sp, creator of the simpsons, not sure how to spell his name) who said when they get about half way through issuing the seasons it will be time to go up a format, I thought he was joking they just released season 7 bets on when the first season is available on Blue Ray or High Def.

Cu Radbacker

radiator

If you ask me, sony are making a mistake putting their eggs in the blu ray basket. People simply won't accept a new format this early in the life of dvd. I won't and all the guys i've talked to about it won't either. People are dumb, but they're not that dumb.
The advantages of dvd over vhs are obvious, but it's not so with blu ray or hd dvd. higher res? Who gives a shit? dvd is good enough for me.

Tex Hex

>>The advantages of dvd over vhs are obvious, but it's not so with blu ray or hd dvd. higher res? Who gives a shit? dvd is good enough for me.

Im in complete agreement with you here. Its the same as for ultra-expensive high-end Hi-Fis: By the time you're old enough to afford it your body cant tell the difference.

-hex

Tanky

Nice! What a year for RPGs! Any news, shots etc for FF13 would be much appreciated if any come to light. Booga says same goes for Res Evil 5. :)

Everything-crossed-for-November-Tanky x

Art

Blu-Ray has a 50/50 chance of being the next Betamax. Now, I bought a PS2 in part because it did dual duty as a DVD player, but I really couldn't see myself doing that if I wasn't sure DVD was going to be the dominant format...

radiator

My mate Darren still stands by Vhs, fer christs sake! He's got shelves and shelves of them, all rare 80's vids like Beastmaster, Monster Squad and Hawk the Slayer, all in their original packaging, and he doesn't really care about dvd, let alone any new formats.

The Amstor Computer

News out of the Square-Enix conference:

Final Fantasy XII to be released in October this year (doesn't specify territory - I'm assuming US with a Euro release to follow, possibly before Christmas)

The Amstor Computer

...and from the same conference (and inevitably) Final Fantasy XIII announced for the PS3. Footage shown and will undoubtedly be appearing over the next few days.

The Amstor Computer

Fuck, that's weird. Final Fantasy XIII will actually be four games.

Final Fantasy XIII - appparently a more traditional RPG
Final Fantasy Versus XIII - an action game set in the FFXIII universe and a direct sequel to the above game
Final Fantasy XIII: Agito - a spin-off for mobile phones?
Final Fantasy XIII: Fabula Nova Crystallis (WTF? No more info yet)

Looks like the "whore it out to every platform going" approach they took with the recent FFVII releases has become the new mantra at Squenix...