Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

I'll be starting with The Gathering because it's the beginning of the show.

As for In The Beginning, it'll be after Season 4 as suggested.

This is how I watched it the previous time I did it start to end.  Which was a long while ago.  There's so much I don't remember.  It is kind of exciting.

Greg M.

I feel like I'm being lured back into the grand B5 rewatch now, but I'll probably hold off 'cos I've watched the middle of Season 3 - the best season - a few times too many.

Proudhuff

I was prepared to  watch a couple of the TV Watchman series then rant rage and boycott the lot...

Totally enjoying it... Sorry Mr Moore
DDT did a job on me

hippynumber1

I bought the Sopranos blu ray box set years ago, never seen an episode, and finally got round to starting it a couple of weeks back. I got to the end of Season 4 last night.

Link Prime

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 12 November, 2020, 01:03:08 PM
I bought the Sopranos blu ray box set years ago, never seen an episode, and finally got round to starting it a couple of weeks back. I got to the end of Season 4 last night.

Pretenders to the throne come and go...but it's still the king of TV drama.

You have some great episodes to come, but I never got over the loss of one of the shows greatest characters (Ralphie) at the end of Season 4.

Rately

Sopranos really is the best bit of TV. Characters, writing, the dark humour and the fact that on every re-watch you nearly always spot something new, whether it is a subtle joke in background, or an off-hand comment by a character that has consequences later on, usually deadly ones.

Right, that is another re-watch to the list!

Link Prime

Quote from: Rately on 12 November, 2020, 03:48:59 PM
the fact that on every re-watch you nearly always spot something new, whether it is a subtle joke in background, or an off-hand comment by a character that has consequences later on, usually deadly ones.

Noticed that too, practically every time I have re-watched an episode.

The Sopranos also has that rare 'viewer magnetism' that I can attribute to very few films or TV shows.
You are compelled to watch it, even if you chance upon it on Sky Atlantic at 2am on a Tuesday night.

Colin YNWA

Yeah I fully intend to dom a rewatch of The Sopranos soon. In my triumvirate of the four great TV shows of all time and after Twin Peaks probably the one that means most to me. Tony is such a beautifully realised monster. 

Rately

Quote from: Link Prime on 12 November, 2020, 04:54:08 PM
Quote from: Rately on 12 November, 2020, 03:48:59 PM
the fact that on every re-watch you nearly always spot something new, whether it is a subtle joke in background, or an off-hand comment by a character that has consequences later on, usually deadly ones.

Noticed that too, practically every time I have re-watched an episode.

The Sopranos also has that rare 'viewer magnetism' that I can attribute to very few films or TV shows.
You are compelled to watch it, even if you chance upon it on Sky Atlantic at 2am on a Tuesday night.

Compelled indeed.

How they made it, whatever alchemy they bottled for all those fantastic hours of TV, it just amazes me. They took a premise that should have been one note and tiresome and instead made something that could have you on edge of your seat, laughing like an eejit, recoiling in horror and rooting for terrible people, all in the same episode.

I don't think I've ever laughed as hard at anythings as the Pine Barrens episode, especially the garbled phone translation by Paulie to Christopher.

'You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. The guy was an interior decorator.

Rately

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 November, 2020, 05:22:59 PM
Yeah I fully intend to dom a rewatch of The Sopranos soon. In my triumvirate of the four great TV shows of all time and after Twin Peaks probably the one that means most to me. Tony is such a beautifully realised monster.

That performance by James Gandolfini is just absolutely the best acting I've seen.

A monster, surely, but whatever it says about me, i just wanted him to be happy, despite all the horrible, terrible things that he done.

It's a shame that the actress who played his Mother passed away, because i think that the scenes they had together were fantastic, and whatever was planned, would have surely been unforgettable.

I hope David Chase captures that same magic for the prequel movie, but i fear the perfection of the show, and the hours they had to develop and the characters, will leave it looking like a pale imitation.

pictsy

I have just finished Discovery Season Two and had an absolute blast.  I'm sold on this show now.  Disliking very little about it.  The ending of the season seems to be setting up something I've been desperate for from Trek since Voyager ended.  [spoiler]A significant time jump.  It would be nice to see some TNG/DS9 era races make a return and now I'm on board with the new look Klingons, I'm curious what they might do for make-up.  There is so much potential in moving the franchise forward like TNG did.[/spoiler]  As far as I'm concerned they have a good creative team working on this show and Discovery is fantastic addition for this modern age. 

Going into this I was not expecting to be won over so much.  I had seen the first season before, but I realise I let my hang-ups about Star Trek cloud my judgement.  I was wrong about this show, even though I did like it.  All that knee-jerking I did with my first watch through was gone and I realised how good the show is.  The second season is just better.  There is so much for me to gush over, I won't bother.  I will say that I love the reimagining of Enterprise's bridge.  It is now my favourite bridge design.

Anyway, I have reached the end.  That means tomorrow I start on a new journey.  I will return to the dawn of the third age of mankind with The Gathering.

The Legendary Shark

Just started B5 Season 3. It gets more relevant every time I watch it - and it still has the capacity to move me and inspire me.

Magnificent.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

So ye finally talked me into't, ye scurvy dogs. We've started into Black Sails at long last*. I know from reports here and elsewhere that it's supposed to improve quickly, but shiver me timbers didn't the mandatory tit-fest of 2010s fantasy telly get very old very fast! I like a naked lady as much as the next perv, but I have a strong inclination to hit the fast forward button as soon as the undressing starts in these things...

Other than that, it's very promising. Coming to it this late, the cast feels like a missing link between every other genre show, uniting Robin of Sherwood, Lost in Space, Agents of SHIELD, The Flash, Umbrella Academy... It's quite distracting!

* Partly because it turns out that the only B5 we have access to are some ropey VHSs.

Colin YNWA

Yeah I've said before and will say again it gets better and while it improves across the first series. The second though takes things to a whole superior level and good as it remains - all better than the first series - is probably the shows peak. By the end there's barely an exposed breast in sight, unless its being chopped by a cutlass and it also pays off all the Treasure Island stuff really nicely.

So much so I went back and read it again after years with the boy.

Dark Jimbo

Must give Black Sails another try. I watched the first episode and thought it was borderline terrible - but then everyone says it gets much better.
@jamesfeistdraws