Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 15 November, 2020, 02:22:12 PM
Must give Black Sails another try. I watched the first episode and thought it was borderline terrible - but then everyone says it gets much better.

There's an episode just past the midway point in S1 where I suddenly went "Oh, yeah, this is the stuff..." and from there onwards, it's fantastic.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

pictsy

So it starts with tense political thriller.  It is the best of the 90's as well.  Babylon 5 The Gathering was fun... ish.  There is some ropey acting from the cast that end up getting dropped for the series proper.  It's a nice set up and I enjoy the world building they cram in.  A lot of thought and love clearly went into this from the outset.  It's going to be a fun ride.

The Legendary Shark

"The only human to ever survive combat with a Minbari cruiser is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

radiator

Ted Lasso on Apple TV+.

Exceptional slice of light comedy drama that unexpectedly hits you right in the feels. It does that thing where you have this gang of very archetypal characters that border on cartoonish and one-dimensional, but slowly reveals unexpected depth and warmth to them. It's nominally about football, but you don't need to be a footie fan to enjoy it in the same way you don't need to be a fan of government works departments to enjoy Parks and Rec.

An absolute winner. I believe the second and third seasons are already in production, and I couldn't be happier.

Highest of recommends, and the perfect antidote to the state of the world right now.

repoman

I'm currently just watching Taskmaster which I'd ignored until last month.  I'm up to series 7 which is a bit ridiculous.  Oh and I'm watching Mr. Pickles but it's starting to get a bit much.

I need to get into some proper telly though.  I've got options:  Moonbase 8, Fargo s4, Doom Patrol, Monsterland, Succession.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: repoman on 16 November, 2020, 11:29:59 AM
I'm currently just watching Taskmaster which I'd ignored until last month.  I'm up to series 7 which is a bit ridiculous.

Such a great, great show.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 November, 2020, 01:27:23 PM

...it turns out that the only B5 we have access to are some ropey VHSs.

Sent you a PM, Tordels. I've had... an idea...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mardroid

I love Taskmaster.

Recently binged The Haunting of Bly Manor.

Its gentler than The Haunting of Hill House, and there are far less jump scares. Actually I found it less scary altogether. This isn't a bad thing though. Its very much a character story and it's genuinely creepy in places. Some bits were predictable, but that's not a bad thing. Overall, loved it. English people smile say 'maths' not 'math' thought. Obviously American script writer.

Dandontdare

I too binged the whole of Taskmaster during the first lockdown - don't miss the Champion of Champions mini-series too. The new series reminds me how frustrating it was like having to wait a week for every episode, but it's got a great lineup.

If you're tempted to try the shortlived US version, don't. It was cut to a half hour (including ads of course,so about 22), Reggie Watts was too nice as the TM, the 'celebs' were too happy and earnest, and Alex Horne just looked like he wished he was elsewhere. The UK version is something of a cult hit in the US, but the current season was picked up by the CW network and then cancelled after just one episode's disastrous ratings. The problem with both I guess is not knowing any of the celebs.

shaolin_monkey

The Queens Gambit on Netflix - surprisingly good! Watched it all over the last week or so. It made chess, a game I can play but just don't have the patience for, surprisingly engaging. Very stylish, a great cast, and quite a gripping tale of the alcohol and drug abuse of a young woman who, on paper, shouldn't come across as likeable as she does.

Based on a book apparently, the character of which is based on an amalgam of chess players in the 60s.

TordelBack

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 16 November, 2020, 06:17:57 PM
The Queens Gambit on Netflix - ...

Based on a book apparently, the character of which is based on an amalgam of chess players in the 60s.

By Walter Tevis, also the author of the book The Hustler was adapted from. It's good stuff.

wedgeski

Queen's Gambit, Netflix. We were gripped by this. I hope it isn't spoilery to say that it is so nice to see a female-led show where *none* of the major supporting characters are predatory and/or abusive cardboard cut-outs. It's an uncommon relief to see a complex character who is loved and enabled by those around her instead of used and thrown away. I kept expecting the other shoe to drop, but it never did. Great stuff.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 November, 2020, 02:33:06 PM
There's an episode just past the midway point in S1 where I suddenly went "Oh, yeah, this is the stuff..." and from there onwards, it's fantastic.

I believe we reached that point last night.
Me: "Last episode of Queen's Gambit next, so? ".
Wife: "Fuck, no! More pirates!".

(Which is not to run down QG: it's absolutely brilliant. But lacks topgallants). 

von Boom

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 November, 2020, 11:16:43 AM
(Which is not to run down QG: it's absolutely brilliant. But lacks topgallants).
Which is the poorer for it. Every show would be better with topgallants.

The Legendary Shark

That's B5 done. Excellent, as usual.

Crusade? Nah.

I've decided on Spartacus instead. Another mythic tale with its own unique style and the added bonus of Lucy Lawless in the buff. I think I'm going to make this one of my staple periodic indulgences.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]