Main Menu

Carano, Whedon and all that

Started by Professor Bear, 11 February, 2021, 01:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Quote from: milstar on 12 February, 2021, 06:38:04 PM
Well, she should do wrestler movies then. And yes, I called euphemistically. Because she objectively is. And in (most) movies of today, especially Hollywood, handsome look is required. Being fat does not look well on the screen when you are required to run, jump, roll over etc. This is primary reason why I hate xXx 2.

Do you realize you are using silly arguments? Like, Arnie should only have done body-building movies, by your logic. And The Good, The Bad & The Ugly must be bad because not everyone's handsome? And people you consider overweight shouldn't do anything dynamic on screen? Of all the reasons to dislike XXX^2, you are blaming body shape?

I guess we can all rest easy that you're not in charge of talent scouting for any movie companies.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

Quote from: Professor Bear on 12 February, 2021, 05:43:16 PM
A cynic might suggest Rowling has ulterior motives for preemptively gunning for the exact lobby that was going to take issue with her novel that has a plot about a serial killer who wears dresses to lull women into a false sense of security.  A cynic might go so far as to suggest that while she does indeed hold troubling views based on outdated essentialist notions of gender as a binary and have a vested interest in preventing the public holding wealthy celebrities to account, Rowling has been doing nothing more than running a long con as a gender critic during the writing of her novel to ensure that eventual criticisms of her work can be dismissed as irrational or based on quote-unquote "trans ideology".

Thank you for that.  My issue around Rowling / TERF is the intersection with women's rights, largely as a result concerns raised by colleagues.  Picking through the debate it is a little unclear who started what but it 'appears' that Rowling incited the ire of those who had since been quite aggressive in their responses.

Possibly one of the reasons that I didn't consider the subtext here is that actually I don't rate her as a writer at all.  To me there is far too many recycled tropes ranging from Blyton, through Feist to Tolkein.  Not to mention that she does it far poorly.  So linking the 'controversy' to her writing escaped me for precisely that reason.  I would sooner read the Express (sorry, that is quite offensive, isn't it?).

If that is the case then my low levels of respect fall even further.  If she has taken issues that some women are struggling with and used them for personal career gain ...

As always I appreciate when people provide more information / context to controversy.  Thank you sir (or not, I don't know any more ...)

milstar

Quote from: Funt Solo on 12 February, 2021, 09:00:18 PM
Quote from: milstar on 12 February, 2021, 06:38:04 PM
Well, she should do wrestler movies then. And yes, I called euphemistically. Because she objectively is. And in (most) movies of today, especially Hollywood, handsome look is required. Being fat does not look well on the screen when you are required to run, jump, roll over etc. This is primary reason why I hate xXx 2.

Do you realize you are using silly arguments? Like, Arnie should only have done body-building movies, by your logic. And The Good, The Bad & The Ugly must be bad because not everyone's handsome? And people you consider overweight shouldn't do anything dynamic on screen? Of all the reasons to dislike XXX^2, you are blaming body shape?

Nonsense. Do you really quote Arnie whose body of work are movies that exclusively require great physical shape? How a chubby can play in a film and make you believe while climbing up the ladder, after running half a mile, only to jump across other point? And I've seen movies with behemoth guys, but that was pure muscle. And I don't say these movies dub in realism, but a line must be drawn. Besides, it wasn't the case just with Gina Carrano or Ice Cube. I like Moore's Bond films, but in his later entries, it was almost embrassing to watch an old, wasted man as secret spy.

Quote from: Funt Solo on 12 February, 2021, 09:00:18 PM
I guess we can all rest easy that you're not in charge of talent scouting for any movie companies.

Well, it's their loss.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

IndigoPrime

JFC at your description of her body. We should be aiming for diversity of body types and looks on-screen, not casting women in the basis of whether men would like to fuck them and whether they are skinny enough.

milstar

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 February, 2021, 12:10:14 AM
JFC at your description of her body. We should be aiming for diversity of body types and looks on-screen, not casting women in the basis of whether men would like to fuck them and whether they are skinny enough.

Except these movies aren't really the movies where diversity of body types should be welcome. What if it's some historical movie and you obviously cast the wrong person in terme of age, gender, race, etc? Besides, who's gonna see an action film where main stars are all fatties?
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Funt Solo

Ugh. Milstar, you're using pretty openly offensive terminology for people that you consider to be overweight - things like "fatties" and "chubby". Please stop.

Add onto that this idea you proposed that Carano is somehow overweight - she's 143lbs and 5.8" - which places her BMI smack bang in the middle of the "normal" category.

I know I'm not going to turn you into a nice person by pointing this out, but ... you could try.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Barrington Boots

Going a bit Daily Mail there Milstar. I've no time for her odious opinions, but Gina Carano isn't fat.

A number of women (and men) I know were very excited to see a badass character being played by an actress with the build of someone who could legit smash somebodys face in, rather than the usual 'sexy and slim' type. It's one of the reasons the character was so beloved, and amplified the disappointment, I think, when she turned out to be a rightwing nutjob.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

milstar

Quote from: Funt Solo on 13 February, 2021, 02:50:26 AM
Ugh. Milstar, you're using pretty openly offensive terminology for people that you consider to be overweight - things like "fatties" and "chubby". Please stop.

I am sorry, but I never heard anywhere that these words are offensive. Overweight on the other hand...

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 13 February, 2021, 06:03:58 AM
Going a bit Daily Mail there Milstar. I've no time for her odious opinions, but Gina Carano isn't fat.

A number of women (and men) I know were very excited to see a badass character being played by an actress with the build of someone who could legit smash somebodys face in, rather than the usual 'sexy and slim' type.

When I see action stars of today and before, I must disagree. I bet Gina Carano wouldn't be so likeable among conservatives if she didn't say what right wingers love to hear.
Btw, I love DM. They always about things nobody (sane) is interested in.

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Professor Bear on 12 February, 2021, 05:43:16 PM
If you have 90 minutes to spare - God help us all, who doesn't these days? - then centrist pin-up girl Contrapoints covers JK Rowling's public statements in depth and explains why, in her opinion, Rowling's arguments are neither good faith nor reasonable.

Thanks for posting that link - I got twenty minutes in (before, ironically, my daughter needed to borrow the computer to listen to an audiobook of The Philosopher's Stone) and I need to come down off the fence - it's clear that Rowling is transphobic. I just needed it explained to me.

Thinking back to Pluto's reclassification as a dwarf planet made me realize that I need to mentally reclassify woman by allowing it to encompass more types of woman. And man. Man.

Gotta say - I did not think this thread would provide a personal epiphany.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Goosegash

Let's get one thing clear, there's nothing genuine in Rowling's "questioning" of trans identities. She has effectively allied herself with the Gender Critical movement, which is essentially using feminism as a shield to belittle and denigrate trans people. You may have seen them referred to derogatorily as TERFS (Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminists). They are basically an online hate mob stoking up fear and suspicion of trans women (who according to the anti-trans lobby are all male sex offenders in disguise) under the guise of "just asking questions."

Although it's still a small minority of individuals online propagating this stuff, the danger is that high profile figures like Rowling give this kind of bigoted thinking a legitimacy it in no way deserves.

Oh and don't me started on Graham Linehan. That's a rabbit hole of madness that never ends.

IndigoPrime

Well, it sort of ended when Twitter finally banned him. :D

repoman

What an idiot Carano is.  She basically fluked her way into a lucrative acting gig that would basically be her retirement plan and she burns it all by posting nonsense.  I don't massively care about her either way but I almost pity her for being so stupid.

Absolute self-sabotage.  While I'm not one who agrees with "cancel culture" as such, it often reminds me of the Black Adder episode with the puritans in it, and have very little belief that Disney care either given their history, but they were well within their rights to let her go and she gave them plenty of reasons.

I've not looked into the Whedon thing but it'll be a shame if he's some sort of bastard.  I liked Buffy and Angel.  Not so much Dollhouse though.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: repoman on 14 February, 2021, 01:13:19 PM
I've not looked into the Whedon thing but it'll be a shame if he's some sort of bastard.

Grade-A shithouse. He treated Charisma Carpenter like crap when she had the audacity to get pregnant, then did his level best to ruin her career. Michelle Trachtenberg says there was a rule on the Buffy set that "Joss isn't allowed to be alone in a room with Michelle again". All the Ray Fisher stuff from Justice League. A lot of stuff from his ex-wife a few years back that I managed to miss at the time.

Buffy, Angel, Firefly... all this stuff is more than just the product of Whedon's efforts and I think it's still possible to appreciate the end product in spite of Whedon's shitbaggery.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.