Main Menu

Hello! And a question about Prog 2191

Started by levireeves, 24 July, 2020, 11:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

levireeves

Hi all,

New subscriber here. Used to read 2000ad back in the 90s but I took out a new subscription starting with prog 2183 (2184 was a great accidental jumping on point). Absolutely loving it and blown away by the quality of art and writing these days. Every current story is so good.

I have question for those who've read prog 2191- maybe I'm just being a bit thick here, but in Full Tilt Boogie [spoiler]why did Tee and Black Dog go on to the asteroid? I thought they were just dropping Ifan off there? And what was Ifan's plan? Just to hope his oxygen didn't run out before he was found by some passing ship? Is that really safer than staying on the ship? I really don't understand what the plan was here, especially from Tee's perspective. Tee doesn't seem that surprised when the Luxine Knights turn up, but before she left the ship she thought she had time to get Black Dog and Horus to drop her and grannie off somewhere. Am I missing something?[/spoiler]

AlexF

I confess the days are long gone when I'd read each new prog multiple times, so I can't asnwer your question! I'm at the point where I basically assume the writer knowns what she's doing and strap in for the ride. But I will agree that there seems to be some sort of connection between various characters that will either prove to have been a 'plan all along' or else some kind of psychic somethingorother...

broodblik

[spoiler]Tee and Blackdog went to the asteroid because it is her Blackdog's home-world that was destroyed.  Ifan new that hey can track him so he decided he will "sacrifice" himself for the team.[/spoiler] Sometime it helps going back to previous episodes because parts of episodes 3 will actually continue directly in 5 for example. It is better posting this for example in the prog review section.

Oh and welcome abroad
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

levireeves

Quote from: broodblik on 24 July, 2020, 12:40:39 PM
[spoiler]Tee and Blackdog went to the asteroid because it is her Blackdog's home-world that was destroyed.  Ifan new that hey can track him so he decided he will "sacrifice" himself for the team.[/spoiler] Sometime it helps going back to previous episodes because parts of episodes 3 will actually continue directly in 5 for example. It is better posting this for example in the prog review section.

Oh and welcome abroad

Thank you so much that really clears things up! I tried to post this in prog review but I don't have the right permissions. Thanks again!

Colin YNWA

Yeah and I think this was covered by the line' Its not safe onboard' or similar by Tee when discussing landing - though if that was the case leaving Granny aboard seems harsh!

Welcome aboard levireeves. Really glad you've enjoying the Prog since returning. Hopefully a Mod will be along soon to sort full posting permissions soon enough. If not there's a thread here abouts where you can request. We have problems with Spambots (particularly at the moment but historically as well) so permission are a little more guarded these days.

levireeves

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 24 July, 2020, 01:48:52 PM
Yeah and I think this was covered by the line' Its not safe onboard' or similar by Tee when discussing landing - though if that was the case leaving Granny aboard seems harsh!

Welcome aboard levireeves. Really glad you've enjoying the Prog since returning. Hopefully a Mod will be along soon to sort full posting permissions soon enough. If not there's a thread here abouts where you can request. We have problems with Spambots (particularly at the moment but historically as well) so permission are a little more guarded these days.

Thank you I've re-read the last couple of parts and it all seems much clearer now.

I've been really loving Full Tilt Boogie so far, I imagine it's not for everybody, with its clean cut, anime-inspired kids animation feel, but it's an aesthetic I like and I love the world building and the characters.

Then again it's hard to pick a favourite out of the current stories. I'm a bit lost with The Order so that's probably my least favourite but I still enjoy the giddy madness of it all. Thinking of picking up the Caballistics collection because I'm enjoying Diaboliks so much.

Has the prog been consistently this good in recent years? I remember hearing some grumbles about early-era Rebellion (although I suppose that's a long time ago now) but, reading these latest progs alongside my Zenith and Halo Jones collected editions, I honestly think the current stuff is just as good as the late 80s heyday.

broodblik

This year so far I have no complains enjoying every bit of it. Do you have a digitally subscription and if you have it is very easy getting all the back-issues. Every prog since 2003 is available digitally and the meg (if you are interested)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

levireeves: you can now post wherever you like.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I think the prog has been "this good" for a very long time. And by that, I'm aware that many people have differing opinions as to the quality of many of the strips, but that that range of opinions has been much the same for at least the last ten years. Personally, this last year has one of my favourites- even though I'm striking a three out of five average across most runs of stories. Like you, I'm not following The Order- but I have a suspicion that were I to dig out the progs and set a weekend aside to reading it all, that would change.
While the comic is a very different beast from that of the 80s version, I still find it a vital and entertaining part of my week.
And even back in the 80s, in that beautiful mishmash of Dredd, Slaine, Halo, and all the rest, i think i still ran a three out of five average- as I was never fond of Rogue Trooper or Robo Hunter, to name just two.

SBT

levireeves

levireeves

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 24 July, 2020, 03:46:25 PM
I think the prog has been "this good" for a very long time. And by that, I'm aware that many people have differing opinions as to the quality of many of the strips, but that that range of opinions has been much the same for at least the last ten years. Personally, this last year has one of my favourites- even though I'm striking a three out of five average across most runs of stories. Like you, I'm not following The Order- but I have a suspicion that were I to dig out the progs and set a weekend aside to reading it all, that would change.
While the comic is a very different beast from that of the 80s version, I still find it a vital and entertaining part of my week.
And even back in the 80s, in that beautiful mishmash of Dredd, Slaine, Halo, and all the rest, i think i still ran a three out of five average- as I was never fond of Rogue Trooper or Robo Hunter, to name just two.

SBT

I think the most startling things about returning to 2000AD are:
1. The stuff I remember as being great from back when I was a kid is in fact genuinely great and totally stands the test of time (although you can't go wrong with Grant Morrison, Alan Moore, Bryan Talbot etc.)
2. The current editorial standards are absurdly high. The writing and the art are stellar, the output is easily comparable to today's prestige television shows. I was honestly gobsmacked picking up the latest Progs.

wedgeski

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Quote from: levireeves link=topic=46713.msg1034416#msg1034416

I think the most startling things about returning to 2000AD are:
1. The stuff I remember as being great from back when I was a kid is in fact genuinely great and totally stands the test of time (although you can't go wrong with Grant Morrison, Alan Moore, Bryan Talbot etc.)
2. The current editorial standards are absurdly high. The writing and the art are stellar, the output is easily comparable to today's prestige television shows. I was honestly gobsmacked picking up the latest Progs.

Grud, yes. Matt Smith has been an exceptional editor across two decades- which reminds me: are there any other comic editors who have put in that length of time without readers regularly calling for "fresh blood"? The man is a powerhouse, and any small criticisms I may have are purely cosmetic... in that, I very much want a revamp of the look & feel, and i would appreciate perhaps more stories told in episodic format, without being written for trade paperback collection. But I'm not an editor, and I trust Matt- a trust that has been built up by happily buying his comic for the whole duration and never once feeling it was creatively sterile or "close to the end of its ideas".

It will be a sad and alarming day when Tharg sheds this particular editorial skin.

And welcome!

SBT

broodblik

Matt Smith has been superb and he is one of the reasons why the prog has been consistently good

Colin YNWA

Yeah to echo what's been said here, for me the Prog has been excellent for the past 20 years. There's been ups and down and what tickles folks fancy varies great and heck yes there are even folks that say anything since 1989 is rubbish BUT that's always the way.

Since Matt Smith and Rebellion took over its been really good. There's a period for me between say 2009 - 2013 that is as good as any time in the Prog's history and we've really not moved too far down from there today (or indeed any year since).

David Bishop set the Prog firmly on the road to recovery after a dodgy spell for large parts of the 90s but Matt Smith (and others) have really brought it home from there.