Main Menu

Matt Smith Interview

Started by Will I. Cooling, 10 July, 2004, 02:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will I. Cooling

2000AD's editor Matt Smith answered quite a few questions for me and the resulting interview is up at 411mania. Matt's game throughout and there's some good answers including some surprising news on future thrills inc. Stront Dog and the Henry Flint Dredd. The only neg. is my spellchecker replacing Matt's correct spelling of Kawl for my mistaken one from its run. grrrr.

Also another quick plug keep a look out at 411mania as these next two weeks they'll be a lot of 2000AD material with a Frazer Irving interview (got answers just wanting for a clarification), obviously reviews of the current comics and retro reviews of Extreme Edition 2, ABC Warriors Shadow Warriors Book 1 and Caballistics Inc.

Will

Link: http://411mania.com/comics/columns/article.php?columns_id=2718" target="_blank">Behind every omnipotent alien is a surprised droid

The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

paulvonscott

Very good, loads of news and info in there, I almost had to turn away.

Leigh S

Good stuff there... another portrait of a mutant you say, Tharg - dont go making promises you cant keep! :)

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Can't wait!

thinky

excellent stuff... the future looks bright indeed

thinky
you think this isn't me? that's so sweet...
//http://www.adverseCamber.co.uk

petemaskreplica

Great interview, Will. Nice to see the normally taciturn Cyber-Matt holding forth in that detail, and many salivating prospects for the upcoming progs revealed.

I was intrigued by the response about Pat Mills: "He works extremely hard and benefits from an enthusiastic response." So as long as we keep praising him, his work will be mighty, eh? :P

I'm a little disturbed though by the implication that Tharg may not be real, and Cyber-Matt seems to be labouring under the delusion that he, in some way, is Tharg. I trust a Rigellian Hotshot will be forthcoming to put him right ;)

Marbles

Goor interview, Matts done a great job in the last few years.

One gripe tho' - Valkyries was slammed not because of the nudity but because it was totally crap in all respects. Er, IMO.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Byron Virgo

Nice to see the interview with Cyber-Mat. I think he has been an extremely good editor, and has really built on what Bish-Op and Dig-L did to bring the comic back to it's roots. Interesting to see him say that he'sd like to give longer criticism for aspiring droids, as, in his own words, the rejection letter tends to be fairly brief (some criticism is better than none at all). However, considering he's actually editing the comic, plus writing Metro Dredd strips and a Black Flame novel at the same time, I'm surprised anyone gets anything at all!

Good news about all the strips though. It's great to see that we're getting two Strontium Dog strips pretty much back to back, old school style. Can't hardly wait. Only thing that confused me was that, if The ABC Warriors is leaving in 1405 to make way for Asylum II, and it starts in prog 1400, doesn't that mean it's only five episodes long?

Will I. Cooling

Glad everyone liked the interview, must say one of the best things about doing interviews is getting to read them through esp. as I got this and an interview with Frazer Irving at the same time (that should be up very soon, got the clarification I needed). Must say I was excited about stuff like Stront Dog and Flint on Dredd before Matt spoke but now...WOW!

Its good to be a 2000AD fan now.

Will
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

Will I. Cooling

"Can't hardly wait. Only thing that confused me was that, if The ABC Warriors is leaving in 1405 to make way for Asylum II, and it starts in prog 1400, doesn't that mean it's only five episodes long?"

I think like Black Siddha; ABC Warriors is stuck in the 42pg book format that's a hangover from the prospect of a line of Euro graphic line as it finishes with a 10pager and 1400 has only four stories in.

Will

Devons Daddy

thats a wondeful intereview

i notice once again that mat like andy diggle is  a fan. a long time reader who knows what makes us great.
and under him the last three years have been bloody great.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Grant Goggans

The ABC Warriors news isn't surprising.  1400-1405 means it's a six-part story with double-length first and last episodes, the same as Shadow Warriors Book One.

--Grant