Main Menu

Small pressers... The Multi-Ad

Started by paulvonscott, 25 May, 2005, 05:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

I was thinking of putting an ad in Comics International, but realised I could only afford a quarter a page for one month.  

But if up to 12 of us clubbed together we could show our comic, add text and purchasing details under one banner on a full page ad, for a few months for the same cost.

Anyone interested?  Visit the 'General' section on PJ's message board to debate it.

Cheers Paul

Link: http://forums.pauljholden.com/" target="_blank">Under 'General'

Bolt-01

FutureQuake is in. Damn fine idea.

Bolt-01

longmanshort

The End is Nigh shall join thy quest, oh bespectacled one ...
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

DavidXBrunt

I bet Doctor Bob would be up for that too.

paulvonscott

Well, the more the merrier, if we get more than enough people then it means people wouldn't have to commit to every issue, and you could rotate the ads.  It might even be better if they do change line up slightly, to keep people reading them.

My thought was that any presence really needs to be sustained or it's a bit forgettable.  A group presence would allow that, without every contributor having to be in every issue.

Ideally, someone (who has some design skills) would organise and produce the ad based on what was supplied to them, in the format best for the publication concerned.

It seems to me that if someone could persuade the publisher to set it up as a format, it could be even easier, but that may well incur extra costs and less freedoms.

It would get even cheaper for redeye, which has the bonus of only being out bi-annually.  So that would be ?60 for an internal B/W page with twelve ads on.  ?5 each.  CI would be ?20 each, but obviously reach a bigger audience.  And I don't know what other mags would be suitable/interested.

I picked 12 as it would cut the costs considerable, be easy to manage design wise, and would make an interesting page - I think.

Anyway, we'll see who is interested.

ukdane

Why not try asking the people at SFX who could put the add on their Farenheit page or whatever the small press section is called?
Cheers

-Daney

maryanddavid

Leigh S

It'd be nice of Dez if he did a reduced rate thing for you small pressers - he might bite, given he was keen to promote stuff in the past.  

I do wonder if his small press promo pages were a bit ahead of their time - maybe he could try and relaunch them in this new climate of even more small press activity?

Generally Contrary

wrighty47

Paul, do you want me to ask some of the guys on my talking comics forum too? We have a few small press guys and i'm sure some of them would be interested. Either reply here or email me offlist if that's a yes.

Alan!

paulvonscott

Yes, that would be great, Alan.  I'm doing a mock up of what it could look like this weekend, and then we'll see where we are from there.

Cheers!

Paul

paulvonscott

I have put a very rough idea of what the ad would look like in the files section of the solar wind group.  Obviously I would spend a bit of time getting it looking better for the real thing.

Byron Virgo

Do you need  to be approved by a moderator to join that?

paulvonscott

Yes, I had to start doing that, sadly, as the level of spam was reaching highly bloody annoying levels.  

I approve anyone who wants to join who I think isn't a spammer, and usually if I don't know them, it's pretty obvious.

I also check my e-mail obsessively, so I do approve things quite quickly.

Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cosmicrayscomic" target="_blank">Cosmic Yahoo Group

ukdane

The Ad looks exactly as I'd imagined. With such a variety of covers, the benefits of a colour advert seem apparent to me.
Cheers

-Daney