Main Menu

DVD Player Advice Wanted

Started by Adrian Bamforth, 26 September, 2005, 12:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian Bamforth

Hey all, I've been trying to watch DVDs on my PC. This is usually almost impossible due to the amount of stopping and starting which seems to happen with both Windows Media Player and Realplayer.

Being a luddite in such things, does anyone know if this is fixable by changing any of the performance setting in the WMP/Realplayer options? Logically wouldn't there be some way of making the playing smooth by reducing the resolution or something?

Otherwise I'll have to go out and buy a DVD player.

Thanks in advance.

ADE

The Amstor Computer

TBH, I'd just go and buy a DVD player. You can probably pick up a decent multi-region player for about ?50, and then you'll be able to watch your DVDs on a decent-sized screen, as well as having access to releases from around the world.

Woolly

Download this instead...

Link: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/" target="_blank">VLC Media Player

The Amstor Computer

I'm not going to be able to attend Dreddcon this year, and looking through the schedule it seems like I'm going to be missing a fair few great artists.

Is there any chance someone who is attending would be able to take along another sketchbook and grab a few sketches for me? I don't have much to offer in return, though I've got copies of The Filth and Persepolis II that are free to a good home, and I've got some other comic odds & ends that you'd be welcome to.

Thanks in advance!

Noisybast

If it's a laptop, plug it in.
If not, what's the spec of your PC?
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Art

Sounds like you need to upgrade your DVD drive.

philt

Buy a stand alone DVD player. Word of advise don't buy one of the supermarket ?50 specials from OEM manufacturers who hide behind names close enough to be confused with better known brands "Yamada" anyone.

Cheapest DVD player worth considering is the Pioneer DV575. Richer are selling it for ?99.99. It will play - DVD, DVDA, CD, SACD, Mp3, DIVX, has PAL Progressive scan, digital out and has RGB and component out. Oh and they sell it Multi region for no extra cost. It will out perform any cheaper player and a lot of the more expensive ones as well. This player would be superb value at ?200. At less than ?100? It's a no brainer...

philt

Just on the DV575 when you buy it make sure the Firmware for DVDA playback has been upgraded. Warner Brothers have changed the how they author DVDA (which is the audio only version of DVD dsigned as a replacement for CD and dying on it;s arse) and which is slightly outside the spec for DVDA - hence you may get an issue when playing DVDA's. Of course as DVDA's are as rare as a new clich? you should never experience a problem and certainly you won't when playing anything else

Oh and I forgot to mention it'll play VCD's as well...

Quirkafleeg

WinDVD works like a treat on my PC... so much so I've stopped watching DVDs on my standalone (there's far better sound and screen quality on my new(ish) pc than the (almost) ancient telly)

Art

WInDVD came with my PC, but doesn't it cost money if you buy it standalone?

I have a strong suspicion that this could be a hardware problem: DVD drives that are okay for reading data are often simply not up to playing movies. The DVD drive on the PS2, for instance, could barely handle it and would stop working almost entirely as soon as some dust or samage to the discs enteres the equation.

The Amstor Computer

The PS2 could barely play in-game movies - stuttering and jerking CGI was the order of the day for quite a few games in my experience. Rubbish loading times, as well...

Quirkafleeg

Well it's always worth checking for scratches etc on DVDs and giving them a wash to remove grease marks. A DVD that seems unplayable can be fine after running it under the tape and wiping it.

Though I think some people must have some sort of rotatory sander like device in their dvd players the state of some of the rentals I've seen.

The Amstor Computer

Mm... that sounds familiar. I've been buying old PS1 and 'Cube titles on eBay recently, and even the ones described as being "As New!" have scratches on them. I bought one title that looked like someone had taken a Brillo pad to it before setting it on its way to me.

philt

Adrian Bamforth

"If not, what's the spec of your PC?"

128MB

ADE