Main Menu

2000 AD Online

Started by w3bz, 09 July, 2008, 11:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Oh, and for SEO, I'd strongly recommend amending the 'split' in the design. Stop the Flash just before the nav bar, and change said nav bar to an unordered list with the links driven by CSS. The site wouldn't load any more slowly, but would then be stronger nav-wise from an accessibility and SEO standpoint.

And now I'll shut up, before everyone gets sick of me going on about web stuff...

Rio De Fideldo

Re-Clickwheel I know this is nothing to do with the designer but I wish you could pay for it via debit card and not just credit card. Don't they know there's a 'credit crunch' on? But seriously I'm trying to get my balance down so regular debits on my CC wouldn't go down very well.

Peter Wolf

Its a shame that the government,financial institutions and government sponsored institutions like the FSA [i dont know the US equivalent ] fail to manage and regulate the economy properly  and instead encourage reckless borrowing and lending that makes money for a tiny handful of individuals only.

Its a shame to be back to a Boom - Bust economy.......Again.

I dont have a credit card so i dont use clickwheel.

You cant hire a car in some places without a credit card.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

w3bz

Even laptops have higher rez these days, and besides, I've looked over at Robo-KEEF's monitor who has it set to a blind man's rez and it looks good on his haha...

SEO wise, to be honest, there's a lot of stuff since slap dashing that I need to re-look at. I think there's ways around the SEO situation using flash nav, with outputting text used in flash as a setting, or doing static links down the bottom. The reason it was currently kept at flash is because the original design called for it, but it might not anymore...will see :)

I'm surprised about the Clickwheel situation, but will whinge at them to look into it!

Rio De Fideldo

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "w3b-B0Tv2"Even laptops have higher rez these days
MacBook: 1280 x 800, with a bunch of that taken up by the Dock, menu bar and browser chrome.
Dell Studio: 1280 x 800 or 1440 x 900, with a bunch of that taken up by the Start bar and browser chrome. HD model defaults to a 23"ish res—1920 x 1200—but laptops doing that are pretty rare. Height's the main issue these days, rather than width.

w3bz

QuoteI wish you could pay for it via debit card

Apparently you can!? At what stage is it not letting you?

QuoteHeight's the main issue these days

True, but that just means they get Dredd extra big! But yeah, as said previously, when the skins start happening there may well be a laptop one bundled in :)

Rio De Fideldo

I'll have another look as I haven't actually tried since it first started. Good news if it does take debit cards.

Thanks again.

thinky

QuoteIndigo Prime said...
And now I'll shut up, before everyone gets sick of me going on about web stuff...

on the contrary - i think it's good that everyone understands (or at least has an appreciation of) the complexity of catering for all browsers / screen-sizes / etc. At least this way everyone is aware that there is very little chance of a "quick fix" to something and that changes do indeed change time

oh and i've just worked out who you are - and that i enjoy reading your web-based column in another of my regular mags (not that you were hiding or anything ;). good work btw

thinky
you think this isn't me? that's so sweet...
//http://www.adverseCamber.co.uk

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "thinky"on the contrary - i think it's good that everyone understands (or at least has an appreciation of) the complexity of catering for all browsers / screen-sizes / etc. At least this way everyone is aware that there is very little chance of a "quick fix" to something and that changes do indeed change time
I suppose. I'm just mindful of how pissed people sometimes get in forums when I go into full-on web ninja mode, even when it's a thread about website feedback! But, yeah, with total overhauls there's simply no such thing as a quick fix, unless there are a dozen people working on the site (which I doubt is the case here).

Quoteoh and i've just worked out who you are
Ah, those pesky real names sneaking through on this new message board!

Quoteand that i enjoy reading your web-based column in another of my regular mags (not that you were hiding or anything ;). good work btw
Thanks! I'm assuming you're talking about .net? FWIW, Imagine FX will be getting some 2000 AD love soon, via a piece I've written. (And he just about wrenches the post back on-topic, right at the finish line!)

w3bz

Quotewhich I doubt is the case here

cough...

The Enigmatic Dr X

Is there any merit in adding a "net links" topic heading? I'm thinking for funky websites, or You TUbe vids, etc Or is that too similar to off topic?
Lock up your spoons!

Wake

Quote from: "The Enigmatic Dr X"Is there any merit in adding a "net links" topic heading? I'm thinking for funky websites, or You TUbe vids, etc Or is that too similar to off topic?

That's what the Links category is for.

thinky

QuoteThanks! I'm assuming you're talking about .net?

indeed - and a very good mag it is too...

thinky
you think this isn't me? that's so sweet...
//http://www.adverseCamber.co.uk

Tweak72

OK! Like many people I mostly access the forum via my work comp during my breaktimes. My work (like many places of bussness systems) block Flash player stuff so I cannot see any of the flash stuff, what ever it is.  :? I am having to access the forum via the Thargs news feed links but a quick link at the bottom of the page would be usful also stuff like Kroom Skree (If it still exists) and other stuff. Having only one kind of link that not every one can access seems a little daft.
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++