Main Menu

Discovered / rediscovered music thread

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 16 April, 2009, 12:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Just rediscovered The Prodigy, after looking at the link on the Dodgy Videos thread. Once my absolute favourite live act, and had a trawl through YouTube and I'd forgotten how good they were. Haven't listened to their new stuff properly yet, but by Christ nobody makes dance tunes like No Good (Start the Dance) any more.  I have very fond, if hazy, memories of going mental on dancefloors and muddy fields to The Prodigy. I even liked that rohypnol song that was slagged off on the other thread.

Just discovered Alphaville, who completely passed me by earlier in life. Quite a few shit songs to wade through, but some of their stuff, such as Big in Japan and Sounds Like a Melody (if that's the correct title), is pure 80's synth-cheese perfection.  I also like their later stuff, having a guilty liking for trashy Euro-techno that I don't go round shouting about.

By the way, feel free to disagree with anyone's choices in this thread, but please do not make this a thread for muso-snobs to slag off other people for their musical taste (or lack thereof). There are far too many of them in the real world. We're bigger than that, folks.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

SuperSurfer

I'm finding that Spotify is a great way to discover/rediscover music. It's a good cure for the musical droughts I'd suffer from when I wouldn't hear any new stuff for ages. At the moment I overdose on certain bands for days and then move on to another. So far it's been: The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Eugenuis, Dandy Warhols, Julian Cope, Les Savy Fav, Smashing Pumpkins, Black Lips, Mercury Rev, Blind Melon, ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead (Tharg mentioned he is a fan of theirs coincidentally just when I got into them).

I, Cosh

Quote from: "JayzusB.Christ"by Christ nobody makes dance tunes like No Good (Start the Dance) any more.
An absolute rip-snorter that. Don't know if I prefer it to Out of Space or not. At university, my flatmate purchased the single Fire and played it at full blast maybe twenty or thirty times a day for a fortnight: even now the intro makes me feel a little bit sick.

I got a Rough Trade "Indiepop" compilation in a charity shop recently. Fifty tracks of tweeness with a distorted edge from the 80s and 90s, split about fifty-fifty between jingly rubbish and jangly genius.

However, the main thing I've discovered recently is how bloody amazing and genuinely rock'n'roll Van Morrison was when he was a lad. The guitar sound and his voice on the chorus of this just blow me away: Well here it comes
Plus I love youtube videos which just have the single spinning round on the turntable.
We never really die.

Devons Daddy

i found YOU TUBE plus ITUNES to be a killer combination  for rediscovering great music.

i have recently limited myself to a usd $100 a month, as i was getting carried away.
rediscovered my passion for Neil diamond who has returned to form and that the genuis suggested purchase list is reading my inner mind.

prodigy, i missed them in my travels, first time around, but downloaded a few essentails recently,so much outstanding music out there,
currently my music collectoin stands a poultry 43gig

next time i see steve jobs drive by i shall say I BOUGHT HIM THAT CAR!
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

stacey

I have just discovered The Gossip, I can't turn them off, I think I may in fact love Beth Ditto her voice is incredible

I have recently rediscovered Rage Against the Machine, which is the best thing in the world to dance around your kitchen to when people are peeing you off!

JayzusB.Christ

Funny you should mention Rage Against The Machine, I used to like them and jumped around thrashing and flailing to their live gigs a couple of times, but a friend of mine stuck them on in his car the other day and I just couldn't get into them at all.  Maybe I'm just getting old.
I still like going a bit mental on dance floors, but probably due to certain chemical experiences I have long since packed in, I only enjoy dancing to electronic-type dance music. (Which is not to say that dance music is the only music I like. It's just the only music I dance to.) And on that subject, I recently rediscovered both the KLF and Utah Saints, and yesterday found Usura on YouTube.

Devon's Daddy, you've probably seen it before, but this thread offers a good way of combining the delights of YouTube and iTunes.

//http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24132
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Banners

A buddy of mine is off to Oz so selling his CDs for a quid each. I got a fair few, but the one which quickly rose to the top of the pile is PJ Harvey's "Dry" which I haven't heard since losing my old cassette version about 15 years ago. Great stuff.

M@

Peter Wolf

Flying Saucer Attack.

Its mostly just a wall of sound of sheets of guitar distortion and feedback but beautiful and melodic and wonderful  turned up loud .Nothing else quite like it.Post/Space rock from Bristol.[Early 90s].
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

The Enigmatic Dr X

I'm off to see the Dogs D'Amour on Sunday. I've re-discovered them, having not listened to anything by them for about five years. And, you know what? They're still bloody good.
Lock up your spoons!

I, Cosh

Quote from: "peterwolf"Flying Saucer Attack.

Its mostly just a wall of sound of sheets of guitar distortion and feedback but beautiful and melodic and wonderful  turned up loud .Nothing else quite like it.Post/Space rock from Bristol.[Early 90s].
my goodness. FSA are a perpetual favourite of mine. calling them "post" or "space" rock really doesn't do justice to their homespun beauty. It's when you put a record on and you think your turntable's overloading but it's actually because they recorded it with a guitar pluggged into a stereo amp so that's the beauty of noise.
We never really die.

SuperSurfer

Every now and then I rediscover Captain Beefheart. Most of the later stuff was dodgy but the early stuff I have to play sparingly. Gives me a dose of what the Daily Mail referred to as "iPoditis" – when music gets stuck in your bonce. His music has jammed so hard in my head in the past it has prevented me from sleeping.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "The Cosh"

my goodness. FSA are a perpetual favourite of mine. calling them "post" or "space" rock really doesn't do justice to their homespun beauty. It's when you put a record on and you think your turntable's overloading but it's actually because they recorded it with a guitar pluggged into a stereo amp so that's the beauty of noise.

I used to have a copy of their first Lp that was one of only 1000 in a handpainted sleeve before i lost my entire record collection.The first Lp is the best.

I, Cosh

Quote from: "JayzusB.Christ"I recently rediscovered both the KLF and Utah Saints, and yesterday found Usura on YouTube.
Quality. When I first read this I went straight to youtube for an early 90s student disco revival. Praga Khan Injected With A Poison and The Messiah Temple of Dreams were top of the playlist.

Here's a band I'd heard of but never actually heard until last weekend. Stars of the Lid. If you like FSA, I think they'll be up right up your alley. I think this track's lovely but if it doesn't grab you in the first minute there's not much point continuing as it doesn't change much. //http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vlZvBYW7ns
We never really die.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "The Cosh"
Quote from: "JayzusB.Christ"I recently rediscovered both the KLF and Utah Saints, and yesterday found Usura on YouTube.
Quality. When I first read this I went straight to youtube for an early 90s student disco revival. Praga Khan Injected With A Poison and The Messiah Temple of Dreams were top of the playlist.

Here's a band I'd heard of but never actually heard until last weekend. Stars of the Lid. If you like FSA, I think they'll be up right up your alley. I think this track's lovely but if it doesn't grab you in the first minute there's not much point continuing as it doesn't change much. //http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vlZvBYW7ns

Thanks for the tip as i had never heard of them before but its good late night listening.

You might like this as this band were excellent .I love their guitar sound and great tunes and they are virtually forgotten now which is a shame.

Kitchens Of Distinction :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y54gqnc ... re=related

Also you might have heard of his Name Is Alive [4AD] whose first 4 lps i strongly recommend.The first album called Livonia is absolutely extraordinary.Not much of a selection on Youtube unfortunately.

Also buy this :

http://www.discogs.com/Cranes-Jewel/release/1061437

because track 4 is very good.