Main Menu

Discovered / rediscovered music thread

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 16 April, 2009, 12:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

Quote from: "The Enigmatic Dr X"I'm off to see the Dogs D'Amour on Sunday. I've re-discovered them, having not listened to anything by them for about five years. And, you know what? They're still bloody good.
How were they? I've got all Tyla's solo albums, he must have released 17-18 of them in about 10 years. They first few are ace, then he gets a bit experimental and they range from OK to abysmal. He seems to be hitting form again now though and some of the new stuff is really good.

SamuelAWilkinson

I went to see a lad by the name of Jeffrey Lewis t'other day as my brother had a spare ticket. I am now obsessed. Anyone who liked the Moldy Peaches and their ilk should like this chap.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

I, Cosh

Quote from: "peterwolf"Also you might have heard of his Name Is Alive [4AD] whose first 4 lps i strongly recommend.The first album called Livonia is absolutely extraordinary.Not much of a selection on Youtube unfortunately.
This is just getting creepy now Peter: "This World Is Not My Home" is the song I want played at my funeral and I've seriously considered organising a break to New York based around their touring schedule. The 4AD albums are magic, but I still pick up anything that gets proper distribution over here and there's always one or two tracks that scale the heights. So far I've been able to resist splashing out on the masses of self-indulgent noodling they put out on their own label. So far.

I remember liking "Quick as Rainbows", but that's a different side to KoD and you're right about the guitar sound. Lovely. As for Cranes, I quite like the music but, unfortunately, I've never been able to stand her voice.
We never really die.

Peter Wolf

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Colin YNWA

Quote from: "SamuelAWilkinson"I went to see a lad by the name of Jeffrey Lewis t'other day as my brother had a spare ticket. I am now obsessed. Anyone who liked the Moldy Peaches and their ilk should like this chap.

First heard Jeffrey Lewis about 2 years ago on Marc Riley's show on Radio 6 (a brillant show to discover good new music) and have loved his stuff ever since. He recenty did a lecture tour discussing Watchmen as he wrote his Uni discertation on it. Talk about my world's colliding!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: "Banners"A buddy of mine is off to Oz so selling his CDs for a quid each. I got a fair few, but the one which quickly rose to the top of the pile is PJ Harvey's "Dry" which I haven't heard since losing my old cassette version about 15 years ago. Great stuff.

M@

Not sure if its just Dry you rediscovered but if its the mighty PJ as a whole please for the sake of your personal happiness get yourself into the rest of her back catalogue the lass has been solid gold (well with the possible exception of 'Is this Desire?' which I always struggle with) every since that album. Love me the PeeJee

As for an artist I rediscovered recently got hold of a Buddy Holly collection after meaning to for years (again Marc Riley reminded me how much I love him) and the man was is brillant

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "Colin_YNWA"
Quote from: "Banners"A buddy of mine is off to Oz so selling his CDs for a quid each. I got a fair few, but the one which quickly rose to the top of the pile is PJ Harvey's "Dry" which I haven't heard since losing my old cassette version about 15 years ago. Great stuff.

M@

Not sure if its just Dry you rediscovered but if its the mighty PJ as a whole please for the sake of your personal happiness get yourself into the rest of her back catalogue the lass has been solid gold (well with the possible exception of 'Is this Desire?' which I always struggle with) every since that album. Love me the PeeJee

As for an artist I rediscovered recently got hold of a Buddy Holly collection after meaning to for years (again Marc Riley reminded me how much I love him) and the man was is brillant

Get the CD single That Was My Veil PJ Harvey/John Parrish because it has a remix of civil War Correspondent by Global Communication on it which is excellent.

Peter Wolf

This :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOTd1MzQdBg

I am a big fan of Trevor Horn and i totally forgot about this lost track that i rediscovered on Youtube.

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: peterwolf on 17 April, 2009, 03:01:26 PM
Flying Saucer Attack.

Its mostly just a wall of sound of sheets of guitar distortion and feedback but beautiful and melodic and wonderful  turned up loud .Nothing else quite like it.Post/Space rock from Bristol.[Early 90s].

HELL YEAH, PETE!

Although there are a few acts quite similar I'd say - Stars of the Lid and also Windy & Carl.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Peter Wolf

Just found this !

Forgotten early 90s feelgood bubblegum pop.

I dont know if anyone else remembers them though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5DQaY24ukQ

Grant Goggans

Canadian hippie folkie Buffy Sainte-Marie.  I found a double-LP best of at a garage sale in the spring and just keep coming back to it.  She has a completely unique and wonderful voice.

Colin YNWA

Marc Riley played a Cud session this week on his show, I'd forgetten they were so much more than a fun bouncy band. With that and the new Yo La Tengo album out I think a trip to the record shop is in order...

johnnystress

ahh Buffy St Marie- she made a big impact on my family from her Sesame Street appearances

I tried to get an oi covers band i was in to Universal Soldier but it never happened

Willy De Ville who died earlier this year...RIP

I didn't know that much about him, Assassin of Love, Spanish Stroll..that was about it

I just got the Acoustic Trio cd

this is amazing-and I'm telling all and sundry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioxeqbQCvMo