Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

PLANE
Monosyllabic, monolithic title. No one's wasting time on fripperies like titles here. No one's fucking around on this one.
There's this plane, see? Gerard Butler flies it. This is a Gerard Butler film—all the way. It has everything you'd want from a Gerard Butler film.

Plane has dangerous tough guy on board. Plane makes forced landing in one of those isolated jungles that's filled with dissidents, separatists, and malcontents with AKs.
Guns go bangeddy-bang. Passengers scream. Everyone sweats like the clappers.
Dangerous tough guy and Gerard Butler make common cause.
Can they rescue everyone, save the day, and escape from the island in the...
...Plane?

This is not some art-house meditation on the nature of loneliness.
This is Plane.
Best film I've seen all damn day.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Dandontdare

STARRING...The McDonnell Douglas MD-80 as PLANE!
ALSO STARRING ... Gerard Butler as PLANE'S MAN!

paddykafka

Quote from: JWare on 07 February, 2023, 09:12:31 PMPLANE

This is Plane.

Undoubtedly, the sequel will involve Gerard Butler once again flying the plane, but this time he will have to make a forced landing into the sea.

The movie will be called Plane Sailing:D

The Legendary Shark

Or maybe James Cameron will blow our socks off with Planes.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Richmond Clements

Quote from: JWare on 07 February, 2023, 09:12:31 PMPLANE
Monosyllabic, monolithic title. No one's wasting time on fripperies like titles here. No one's fucking around on this one.
There's this plane, see? Gerard Butler flies it. This is a Gerard Butler film—all the way. It has everything you'd want from a Gerard Butler film.

Plane has dangerous tough guy on board. Plane makes forced landing in one of those isolated jungles that's filled with dissidents, separatists, and malcontents with AKs.
Guns go bangeddy-bang. Passengers scream. Everyone sweats like the clappers.
Dangerous tough guy and Gerard Butler make common cause.
Can they rescue everyone, save the day, and escape from the island in the...
...Plane?

This is Plane.

I drokking loved this. Is it nonsense? Damn straight it is. Does it know it's nonsense? Damn straight it does.
Just like Jason Statham or Jackie Chan movies, this is basically review proof. You can harp all the live long day about silliness and plot holes - But - get this - THAT DOES NOT MATTER.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Hawkmumbler

Bit baffled by the the buzz this one if getting. It's alright, isn't it? About what I thought of the first movie actually (funny how, after a decade of derision, suddenly thats being considered some modern opus of 'vulgar auteurism') that like its forefather I don't see myself revisiting it much.

Sure, it's pretty. But so's a lava lamp and I think The Way of Water has about as much substance as one.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 11 February, 2023, 06:39:22 PMAVATAR THE WAY OF WATER

Bit baffled by the the buzz this one if getting. It's alright, isn't it? About what I thought of the first movie actually (funny how, after a decade of derision, suddenly thats being considered some modern opus of 'vulgar auteurism') that like its forefather I don't see myself revisiting it much.

Sure, it's pretty. But so's a lava lamp and I think The Way of Water has about as much substance as one.

Yeah, it was okay. Looks great, though. Basically Tarzan in Space.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JohnW

Watched The Menu for the second time last night and realised that it's essentially Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, (but with a little less chocolate).
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

broodblik

The Menu waited for something interesting to happen then the end credit rolled up. Another Disney+ entry Wakanda was really not that good and I am getting tired of all these superhero movies. MCU and DC-verse are really sucking out the originally in movies. When will we have another original movie hit not linked to either a sequel or a comic-book character? (The exception for me will be another Dredd movie)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: broodblik on 12 February, 2023, 01:05:35 PMWhen will we have another original movie hit not linked to either a sequel or a comic-book character? (The exception for me will be another Dredd movie)

The Menu?

wedgeski

Depends what you mean by 'hit'. Just a quick perusal of page 1 of Empire's review list (https://www.empireonline.com/movies/reviews/) shows there are plenty of original movies being made.

broodblik

Quote from: wedgeski on 13 February, 2023, 01:46:06 PMDepends what you mean by 'hit'. Just a quick perusal of page 1 of Empire's review list (https://www.empireonline.com/movies/reviews/) shows there are plenty of original movies being made.

I am more talking about a massive hit that is not a comic book or a direct sequel
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Rara Avis

Watched Tar and Saint Maud this weekend - would recommend.

Everything, everywhere all at once was a huge hit and that was an orginal movie

Hawkmumbler

EMPIRE OF LIGHT

Had a free few hours so decided to head into the last 35mm screening of this (part of some weird psyop espionage to convince certain goons Empire of Light is good, no doubt) and yep, Sam Mendes continues to be the best director of the most uncinematic cinema of the last few decades.

Just annoyingly cloy and smug, very much not it Sam.

Best bit was the scratched up magenta film leader before the film started, genuinely art.

Bonus round: Antman and the Wasp: Quantumania Trailer

I'm not going to watch the whole movie, because fuck that, but seeing the trailer before EoL makes me wonder why anyone would want to. It seems Disney had AI writing and designing these movies at this point, just a visually unpleasant mass of nothing draped over a repetitive plot.

What's the appeal?