Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

I was able to distance myself from The War Game because of its sixties setting and documentary style. But Threads was something else. That was the eighties. That was my world.
I don't imagine I'll ever be watching that film again.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Link Prime

I caught The Pale Blue Eye on Netflix over the weekend.

Stunning film.
The pace and premise (Edgar Allan Poe takes the John Watson role, in an Edgar Allan Poe style murder mystery) may not be for everyone, but it had me hooked after 5 minutes.
Amazing array of actors involved, even for relatively small roles.

I'll be re-watching it at some stage - should be a different experience forearmed with the final reveal.

Marbles

Aftersun really powerful and affecting, worth all the plaudits it has had recently
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Marbles on 09 January, 2023, 11:49:30 AM
Aftersun really powerful and affecting, worth all the plaudits it has had recently

Seconded. It's pretty damn great.

Hawkmumbler

GLASS ONION

A very stupid film, with all the typical contrite, annoying Johnson malarkeys you would have come to expect. But it is better than the first one in a such that it actually has SOMETHING to say about class dichotomy, even if its incredibly ham fisted in doing so. I will give anyone a few extra points for attempting to reinvigorate the Murder Mystery genre in the space age year of 2022/3.

Watch THE MENU instead, similar concept, just better.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 11 January, 2023, 08:51:31 AM
GLASS ONION

A very stupid film, with all the typical contrite, annoying Johnson malarkeys you would have come to expect. But it is better than the first one in a such that it actually has SOMETHING to say about class dichotomy, even if its incredibly ham fisted in doing so. I will give anyone a few extra points for attempting to reinvigorate the Murder Mystery genre in the space age year of 2022/3.

Watch THE MENU instead, similar concept, just better.

I thought there was class dichotomy in the first one.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

Aye, it did, and I did acknowledge that. It just wasn't a very good example of how to handle said dichotomy.

Tiplodocus

Ah yes, rereading your post I can see that.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

SHIN ULTRAMAN

Yeah I'm an absolute mark for this, obviously. A series I adore being reinterpreted by two of our greatest living auteur directors, who are known fans of the franchise, it was never going to be anything but a triumph.
Fan wank aspects aside I adore how Shin took the series back to it roots, acting both in universe and by cultural association as a counter balance to the desperate politicism of Shin Godzilla by proposing a philosophy of optimism and altruistic good will. Earnestness on such a big spectacle fare as this is desperately lacking in major productions from the West these days.

Also its incredibly funny Anno and Higuchi made Zarab a manlet in a trench coat.

TAR

An excellent yet deeply flawed dramatic black comedy that goes drastically off the rails during the final act.
Blanchett is utterly compelling in the titular role, and some slightly obtuse jabs at contemporary politics aside I feel it was broadly successful in conveying the rational and moral decay of those in positions of authority, regardless of the industry.

Portrait of a Lady in Power.

The Enigmatic Dr X

SMILE

Should have been "sigh". A tired derivative of the Ring and It Follows, but not as good. Also a victim of the curiously bloodless horror that so fascinates the USA.
Lock up your spoons!

The Legendary Shark

Amsterdam. A real treat of a film, rich and layered and fun and intricate.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

wedgeski

The Wonder--Unhurried period piece set in post-famine Ireland. Florence Pugh is an English nurse imported to observe the day-to-day of a young girl who hasn't eaten in months. Very good, even if it doesn't ultimately dig its claws all the way into its setup. Brilliant cast, all doing excellent work.

Rara Avis

If you cut off the first few minutes and the last few minutes The Wonder was great.

Liked Glass Onion more than I thought I would.

Recently watched Grey Gardens the documentary about the Kennedy women (well they were related to Jackie so I guess they were Bouvier women). This could have been subtitled Internalised Misogyny: The Movie. Fascinating on multiple levels.

wedgeski

Quote from: Rara Avis on 25 January, 2023, 07:56:04 AM
If you cut off the first few minutes and the last few minutes The Wonder was great.
I tend to think the last act of the film should be seen in a different light with those sections in place, so I wouldn't want them removed.

Rara Avis

We'll have to agree to disagree. I felt they were too on the nose and somewhat unnecessary; they broke me out of the reverie I usually enjoy while watching a good movie.