Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So Punisher aside what else was in the haul, well let's get the problems out the way.

Ant 3 and I'm out. Its chewing gum mystery superheroics. Our I don't know who I am. Here's some cheesecake. Its old tired and I'm, surprised I lasted 3 issues frankly.

The Thing 5 this series started so well and now it feels like its just trying to throw more and more at things and hope some of it works. Like if they pile so much in it will feel intriguing and complex, instead of confused and cluttered. On this read it the latter BUT the opening and the art... and hits of what might be underneath mean I'm actually looking forward to re-reading this and seeing what actually is there when its done.

Speaking Re-reading Time Before Time 11 emphasizes how much this searches needs one. There is a LOT going on and I have to be honest I'm a bit lost. In this case I think that's on me as there is so much to like here. I am sad Joe Palmer is leaving the art as it was lush.

Slumber 1 could be another one that over eggs the puddin' it almost does it in the first issue alone BUT since its a story about a hunter who goes into dreams to remove the bad things AND elsewhere some very bad things are happening and something (someone) is entering people's dreams and making them kill people. Its clear where this is heading at the start at least. Decent opening with fantastic energetic art.

Han Solo and Chewbacca 1 this one would never be accused of being complex. It keeps so close to the script, to the extent that some of the dialogue is painfully lifted BUT the script its sticking to is fun. The reading is breezely and the art capture of the charisma the lead deserves so overall its a success.

The rest are blinding. goes back to Ram V writing and now I'm getting it. The contrast between the other worldly nonsense of the Al Ewing stuff and the earthy ruminations of the Ram V stuff really works. Here Dylan and Venom are smartly compared to the Hell's Angels that have settled, but are ready to fight to another gang - I mean the comparison is apparent, but it works.

What's the Furthest Place from Here? 5 the series is just superb. Fights but its edging towards underlying themes and things. Wonderful.

One Star Squadron 4 - Mark Russell is good at this stuff!

BUT he's not as good (in this instance) as Monkey Meat 3 which is book of the haul - again - this series is like nothing I've read. The world being built up is fascinating and as satirically sharp as one of Russell's. The individual stories that are told in that world are magnificent, fast, violent, but have much to say. It looks stunning and it an absolute masterpiece. I really hope its finding an audience.

CalHab

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 18 March, 2022, 09:50:34 PM
The Thing 5 this series started so well and now it feels like its just trying to throw more and more at things and hope some of it works. Like if they pile so much in it will feel intriguing and complex, instead of confused and cluttered. On this read it the latter BUT the opening and the art... and hits of what might be underneath mean I'm actually looking forward to re-reading this and seeing what actually is there when its done.

That series was so confusing. You might be right that it'll work on a re-read (in a single sitting maybe).

CalHab

Two stories indirectly or directly inspired by Robert E. Howard this week:
Sword Of Hyperborea #3 (Mignola, Williams, Campbell, Robins, Winter, Stewart). The sword, lost in the English Channel last issue, is recovered by a diver hired by a cult. This doesn't quite have the atmosphere of #2 and the need to tell the diver's tale in a single issue means that it feels very rushed. Still enjoying this, though.

The Cimmerian: Hour of the Dragon #1 (Blondel, Sécher, Sienty). The titular Cimmerian is, of course, Conan in this adaptation of Howard's novel. I imagine Disney/Marvel's legal team put the kibosh on referring to him as such on the cover, even though the book must be out of copyright? Anyway, what we have here is a lavishly illustrated and well written adaptation of a tale of King Conan, up against a a dark wizard (of course) raised from the dead by his enemies. This is great. It really feels the the real thing, compared to some of the flimsier Dark Horse and Marvel tales (though some of those are also wonderful). I'm eagerly looking forward to #2 and I might have a hunt to see if they've done any other adaptations.

Moving away from Howard's influence:
The Silver Coin #10 (Walsh). Michael Walsh wrote and illustrated this issue of his horror anthology, drawing on the rich well of teen slasher films for his influence. I hope this series gets a nice collection, because I can see myself going back to it again and again.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: CalHab on 21 March, 2022, 12:06:33 PM
The Cimmerian: Hour of the Dragon #1 (Blondel, Sécher, Sienty). The titular Cimmerian is, of course, Conan in this adaptation of Howard's novel. I imagine Disney/Marvel's legal team put the kibosh on referring to him as such on the cover, even though the book must be out of copyright? Anyway, what we have here is a lavishly illustrated and well written adaptation of a tale of King Conan, up against a a dark wizard (of course) raised from the dead by his enemies. This is great. It really feels the the real thing, compared to some of the flimsier Dark Horse and Marvel tales (though some of those are also wonderful). I'm eagerly looking forward to #2 and I might have a hunt to see if they've done any other adaptations.

Agree with this! Ablaze have done a bunch of Conan adaptations now and they're all worth looking out - they're the best adaptations I've read. There's a different artist for each giving each a very different look, visually, and they're pretty close adaptations. The only one I didn't enjoy was People of the Black Circle (Frost Giants Daughter was rather dragged out, but looks incredible). I think the first six have been collected into hardback (two per book) and should be easy to pick up if you don't fancy the individual issues.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

CalHab

Brilliant! Those books will be going on the wishlist!

CalHab

Apache Delivery Service #2 (Kindt, Jenkins, Jenkins). After the atmospheric opening issue, this issue does the grunt work of explaining the premise and introducing the antagonist, which is where it takes a turn towards the supernatural. The artwork is the highlight here. You can practically smell the jungle.

Batman/Catwoman Special (King, Leon, Chang, Crystal, Gerads, Stewart, Cowles). The lengthy credits list is because this unfinished Tom King and John Paul Leon story has become a tribute to Leon, who died last year. Leon was a fantastic artist, who made me think of Mazzuchelli's draftsmanship (and I can't think of a higher complement). The other artists finished the story and there are a couple of essays by Michael Davis and Kurt Busiek. The story itself is slight, running parallel to the current Batman/Catwoman series.

CalHab

Rogues #1 (Williamson, Leomacs, Lopes, Otsmane-Elhaou). I picked this up on a whim on the basis of the striking cover, and I'm very glad I did. This is a tale of super-villains trying to go straight and starts off with a great humorous tone (and a wonderful cameo from Ape of Angel & the Ape) before taking some serious and dark turns. This could go badly wrong, but the creators pull it off. Full marks for the art, and particularly the colouring, on this. Well worth picking up.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: CalHab on 26 March, 2022, 09:26:00 AM
Rogues #1 (Williamson, Leomacs, Lopes, Otsmane-Elhaou). I picked this up on a whim on the basis of the striking cover, and I'm very glad I did. This is a tale of super-villains trying to go straight and starts off with a great humorous tone (and a wonderful cameo from Ape of Angel & the Ape) before taking some serious and dark turns. This could go badly wrong, but the creators pull it off. Full marks for the art, and particularly the colouring, on this. Well worth picking up.

Ohhh interested now. Love Angel and the Ape.

Colin YNWA

While I wait for Rogues 1 to land I have my latest haul and its tiny, but pretty good.

Step by Bloody Step 2 - doesn't have the storytelling clarity a wordless tale like this requires, but you get there and it is stunning and fast becoming more and more interesting. So I'm happy to work with it.

One Dark Knight 2 as Jock rewrites The Warriors via Escape from New York in a way that allows him to draw some very effective pictures. This one is wafer fine. But sometimes wafer thin treat can be all you need.

Lion and the Eagle 2 - all about the issue 2 this month (as we'll see in a bit) and this one gets to it. In doing that it sets up the tension but curious therefore loses that horror of the first issue. This will have its place in the series as a whole. Read as this its the optmistic start to a Bridge to Far at the moment.

Yojimbo - Goat and Kid 3- I see bats and rabbits and snakes but not the goat... which isn't important as of course this is magnificent.

With only 2 issues to go Black Hammer Reborn 10 makes me wonder how the hell they are going to pull all this together, but that ending gives me hope if Jeff Lemire does he'll do it bloody well!

X-Cellent 2 all about the 2s as I said and this one is book of a good haul. Its like Peter Milligan and Michael Allred haven't missed a beat YET this one also perfectly summaries how much the world has changed since they've been away. Best thing I can say is it make me want to read all the earlier stuff straight away. Brilliant stuff.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 March, 2022, 10:37:05 AM
Quote from: CalHab on 26 March, 2022, 09:26:00 AM

Ohhh interested now. Love Angel and the Ape.

Based on this I ordered Rogues and I'm glad I did, its a fun read... until the end when we are left to remember that while this was all been fun hi-jinks and played for laughs these folks are pretty terrible people. Art is just lush. The fact that the main heist is due to be in Gorilla City and we'll (I assume) get Grood soon as well.

So over all a bit of a triumph so thank you Calhab for the heads up.

One question though is Angel really going out with Detective Chimp?!?

Colin YNWA

Small, but basically cute haul this time.

The Thing 6 - well if I'm honest it failed utterly to pull things together in a satisfying cohesive way. Maybe on re-read but after such a strong couple of part it all rather fell apart under the pile of ideas it threw into the mix. Shame.

Couple of decent openers. Rocketeer - The Great Race 1 feels like an age since we've had new Rocketeer and it nice to have its solid, days gone by storytelling back, even if the art is a little overworked at times. Alice Ever After 1 is an interesting beast, alluding to Alice in Wonderland and eluding the comparisons at the same time. Lovely art, like a sharp Brett Parsons.

One-Star Squadron 5 things are falling apart, from no a great start, but this remains cutting and funny if not quite as sharp as Mark Russell's other works. Venom 7 remains a surprising delight. Why do I like this series? Dunno but I do.

Not as much as Monkey Meat 4 wow this series is so different and brilliant and crazy and yet strangely reassuring in all that. Its quite a mindblowing piece of magnificence. Book of the haul once again.

CalHab

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 April, 2022, 05:45:51 PM
Based on this I ordered Rogues and I'm glad I did, its a fun read... until the end when we are left to remember that while this was all been fun hi-jinks and played for laughs these folks are pretty terrible people. Art is just lush. The fact that the main heist is due to be in Gorilla City and we'll (I assume) get Grood soon as well.

Issue 2 of Rogues is pretty good- not quite hitting the high notes of 1, but some interesting character development.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: CalHab on 05 May, 2022, 02:59:26 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 April, 2022, 05:45:51 PM

Issue 2 of Rogues is pretty good- not quite hitting the high notes of 1, but some interesting character development.

I really enjoyed issue 2 (which I've just read). I mean The Rogues prowling through Gorilla City who dunn't want to read that. Top stuff and lovely art.

Colin YNWA

Elsewhere

Step by Bloody Step 3 continues to look lovely BUT without the clarity of storytelling to pull of the wordless story smoothly enough.

Punisher 2 not as interesting or as bold as I want it to be. We'll see.

Rocketeer 2 fun plane race. Nice hijinx but not the Rocketeer at his best.

One-Star Squadron 6 ends on an unsurprising downbeat, look forward to a re-read at some point here.

Usagi Yojimbo - Lone Goat and Kid 4 what's not to love!

Frontiersman - Lock-up Special or own Nicolo Assirelli steps in on the art and I have to say raises the level for me. Story is good, but not as good as the previous mini(?). I say mini as it appears this story will be told over a series of minis and Frontiersman as a series is over and will continue in something called Antioch, we'll see how that goes. There's also something called Gehenna on Image1 30th Anthology... whatever that is... did we know this? No sure, but I've enjoyed Frontiersman enough to try the new series at least.

Slumber 2 story is brewing up nicely and love the art.

The Lion and the Eagle 3 the fact that this isn't book of the haul is indication of how much i just take brilliance from Ennis and Holden for granted!

Monkey Meat 5 remains unique and more wonderfully is returning. I am sooooo pleased.

Jonna and the Unpossible Monsters 9 is back, is still wonderful and that's almost reason enough to give it book of the haul.

That however will go to Black Hammer Reborn 11 which starts to pull things together quite brilliantly by taking us back to the start. Loved this.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 10 May, 2022, 09:44:29 PM
There's also something called Gehenna on Image1 30th Anthology... whatever that is... did we know this? No sure, but I've enjoyed Frontiersman enough to try the new series at least.

I believe Gehenna ties into/is part of the Frontiersman universe, but I'm not sure exactly how yet (and I lettered Part 3 yesterday).
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.