Main Menu

New Readers Start Here!

Started by Richmond Clements, 20 September, 2012, 10:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smilersaltash

What I really enjoyed about Necropolis was all the different threads coming together. It's a little different when you can pick up a graphic novel or a load of back issues, rather than picking it up week by week.
I must have been a little slow on the uptake at the time because the whole Dead Man penny didn't drop for me until fairly late on.
If you haven't read it yet, get hold of Origins. Really good old style Dredd feel to the story.

Recrewt

I agree, all the different prologues and epilogues definitely enhanced it.  Dead man was indeed a big shock (I didn't see it coming) - and this was only the starter before the main story.  Reading week by week is the best way as it forces you to wait inbetween - I think all over Necropolis took the best part of a year, which also enhanced the 'epic' feel.   The other thing I liked is that it seemed to have a lasting impact on the MC1 landscape which some of the others didn't. 

TommytheHitman

I've recently read Robusters and I'm starting to read the Complete Bad Company. Both are really good. Robusters isn't as good as Judge Dredd but I think BC might be slightly better...

rick075

Hi just joined but been reading since issue 1 ,will 2000ad ever do a compendium version of the complete 2000ad early stories similar to the DC Showcase books and a Starlord one as well? ,as there are so many stories from both comics that seem to have been forgotten while every Dredd story( except theJolly green giant macdonalds epic) seem to have been published several times in every format .great to hear Zenith will be released at last , hopefully (although not 2000ad) Marvelman will out soon too.

Justafan2013

Hi all, big Dredd fan, got/read most 80's/90's comics, lost track a bit 2000's, but that's gonna change because this site has renewed my enthusiasm for it, primarily joined to find the petition to make the sequel to Dredd, or anyway I can lend my support to it, because I think Karl Urban needs to portray Dredd more, a lot more IMO, and the actress who played Anderson should get her own film, or atleast be in the sequel, anyway if anyone can point me to that, that would be great, thanks everyone(anyone).

Frank

Quote from: Justafan2013 on 24 July, 2013, 03:20:54 AM
primarily joined to find the petition to make the sequel to Dredd, or anyway I can lend my support to it ... if anyone can point me to that, that would be great, thanks everyone (anyone).

My name is Nemo: http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,38909.0/topicseen.html

Justafan2013

Thanks nemo, signed and shared

Justafan2013

Also, if anyone has the time, could they explain to me any new developments in Dredd's comic book life, I am going to dive in and find all the back issues I can, 2000 onwards, and start reading them again, I have read the eagles and the fleetways to death, I read that he had a disease or something and that his age has really caught up with him quite recently, thanks everyone(anyone).

Steve Green

Let's see...

A second robot war (not sure if that was post 2000 or not)

Serial Killer PJ Maybe has been eluding Dredd off and on for the past decade.

There was an Origins storyline which explored the backstory of the Judges rise to power, and also led to mutants being given more rights, and internal struggles within Justice Department.

You've also got Day of Chaos, with repercussions from the Apocalypse War with devastating consequences for Mega City One.

Dredd is 70ish now, has had treatment for cancer, been near death a few more times.

His age is brought up, but there's also the 70 is the new 50 thing of 'future science'

Mabs

Steve, could you kindly put me in the direction where I could read about Dredd's battle with the big C? I didn't know that at all., interesting stuff. Cheers.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Dandontdare

IIRC it was mentioned in passing during his routine medical, and dealt with in just a couple of panels.

Mabs

Thanks Dan, just looked it up - his cancer was diagnosed in Prog 1595 (The Edgar Case).
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Frank

Quote from: Dandontdare on 27 July, 2013, 04:25:11 PM
IIRC it was mentioned in passing during his routine medical, and dealt with in just a couple of panels.

It's a fleeting moment in the Tour of Duty book - intended to emphasise Jura's suicide by cancer, given the medical developments of the day - and Dredd shakes it off like it's nothing. It was a biopsy. Tumour was ... uncooperative.

JudgeSavage

New here and still learning my way around

Magnetica

The Complete Alan Moore Future Shocks is just an absolute master class. Sums up 2000AD for me. Stand outs are "The Last Rumble of the Platinum Horde" and "The English/Phlondrutian Phrasebook".

Some fantastic art in there as well.