Main Menu

Napalm Death - Throes Of Joy In The Jaws Of Defeatism!

Started by NapalmKev, 25 July, 2020, 06:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

The trick with Slayer is that when they first started out they were very unique and had their own sound. I'm not sure at what point their albums started being Slayer-by-numbers as I lost interest in them when they put out Diabolus (which ironically was a change of sound, just a very very bad one) but every time I hear anything off any of their recent albums they sound like tired rehashes from a band who can't experiment, because their fanbase won't let them, but are happy not having any new ideas.

I have a great fondness for early Cannibal Corpse but they definitely peaked around 1994 and everything afterwards is technically very tight and brutal but also a bit uninspired. I genuinely couldn't tell you the difference between albums after a while, which is when it's probably time for a band to stop.

Anyway, I'm glad ND aren't treading this path!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

NapalmKev

Well then, it's been out for a week and I've listened to it several times. In fact I'm listening to it right now!

Throes Of Joy In The Jaws Of Defeatism is absolutely brilliant! A masterpiece of an album which manages the rare trick in music, actually wanting to listen to the whole thing rather than the skipping the odd track filler of a lot of modern music. I realize that last sentence probably makes little to no sense but I regret nothing!

This is a Riff-Heavy album with audible guitars and Drums that make you want to Groove and Funk in addition to the ever present and ever welcome Blastbeats. This is some of their best material, IMO and was certainly worth the five year wait (although we did get Coded Smears And More Uncommon Slurs a while back now, but I digress). Easily makes my top five favorites from their catalogue.

TL;DR - It's Excellent, Buy it!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Barrington Boots

I'm still not sure on the album, but your enthusiasm is convincing me to stick with it!

Out of interest Kev, what are your top five ND albums?

NapalmKev

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 28 September, 2020, 09:49:37 AM

Out of interest Kev, what are your top five ND albums?

1: Enemy Of The Music Business. The album that cemented my love for the band. Best album of all time, in my humble opinion.

2: Now it gets difficult to decide - Either Apex Predator or Utopia Banished, I really can't decide.

4: Throes Of Joy. Although arguably not as intense as the previous release it has some their best riffs.

5: Order Of The Leech. Great album full of Death Metal goodness. It's very well produced with everything being audible. Top drumming!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Barrington Boots

Cheers! I agree that Enemy of the Music Business is the absolute best. Apex Predator would rank very highly for me, and From Enslavment.. I need to revisit some of their back catalogue, a lot of their latter period I kind of skipped before Apex brought me back into them.
If you're heavily into your grind, I've been listening to Leng Tche today.

repoman

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 09 September, 2020, 09:35:13 AM
The latest track is very Godflesh-y whilst I thought Amoral was quite reminiscent of stuff like Amebix / Killing Joke. I didn't like 'A Bellyfull..'

This made me check out Amoral because I love KJ. 

Yeah that was GREAT.

It's like I said earlier in the thread.  Napalm Death are always best when they put in the jangly discordant stuff in with the heavy goodness.

That's close to edging out Silence Is Deafening as my favourite ND track.

repoman

And now I've listened to it like 30 times since yesterday.  I love it so much.  Amoral is amazing.

RocketMother

I haven't heard this yet. The only Napalm album I've sat down and listened to in its entirety is Apex Predator. I remember being both impressed and afraid of the Dalek type noises coming out of my speakers before the onslaught of sheer noise that followed.

If Throes is anything like Apex Predator (which is sounds like it is) then I should be in for a good time when I give it a go.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: repoman on 01 October, 2020, 09:21:21 AM
And now I've listened to it like 30 times since yesterday.  I love it so much.  Amoral is amazing.

The best way to listen to music! One of the coolest things about WFH for me.

repoman

This album might be my fave ND one yet.  Every song has something interesting about it.  It's not just all blast Beata and power chords.