Main Menu

Best solo ever

Started by GrinningChimera, 02 May, 2014, 09:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningChimera

This one should be simple. What is your favourite guitar solo of all time ever? To this day, Stairway To Heaven still inspires me. Every note is just perfect. I can not fault it. So what's yours?

Oh and a close second is Free Bird

Ghastly McNasty

It's gotta be Hans.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Dominic O'Rourke

Member No. 10

Spaceghost

IT'S NOT HANS!!! IT'S HAN!!! HE'S NOT FRIGGING GERMAN!!! AAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! HOW CAN YOU GET THAT WRONG??!!

*Ahem* ... I don't have a particular favourite but if I did it would probably be one by Frank Zappa.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Banners

Highly esoteric, but John Thoman's solo on the live demo of Rain Parade's Mystic Green is my favourite solo because he plays this seemingly-impossible note which causes singer Matt Piucci to spontaneously whoop.

(At least that's what I like to imagine - he could have just stubbed his toe I suppose).

CrazyFoxMachine

NapalmKev

http://m.youtube.com/?q=megadeath+holy+wars#/watch?v=9d4ui9q7eDM

Megadeth with the mighty - Holy Wars...the Punishment Due. The Solo kicks in at around the 4:35 mark and its absolutely insane, Dave Mustaine manages to make his guitar sound like the Spectrum 128k loading noise, truly wondrous stuff.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Ghastly McNasty

Quote from: Spaceghost on 02 May, 2014, 09:34:13 AM
IT'S NOT HANS!!! IT'S HAN!!! HE'S NOT FRIGGING GERMAN!!! AAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! HOW CAN YOU GET THAT WRONG??!!

Oooof. Embarrassed myself there.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Ghastly McNasty on 02 May, 2014, 11:02:48 AM
Quote from: Spaceghost on 02 May, 2014, 09:34:13 AM

Oooof. Embarrassed myself there.

And with that picture you are instantly redeemed.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

WhizzBang

Keef Monkey

Tough! I love Dave Gilmour's solos so I guess Comfortably Numb is the easy and pretty cliched answer.

I've always adored this one though, from 'Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart' by Stone Temple Pilots. They're not my favourite band in the world or anything but whenever I hear the track and he solo starts up I never fail to find it quite thrilling. Just love all the places it goes, great song too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVPzWkdhwrw#t=97

8-Ball

Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son
http://youtu.be/2X_2IdybTV0

OK, I'm a Supernatural fan.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

GrinningChimera

Colin YNWA

Typically I answer this question by saying either something by J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr fame OR explain how Neil Young by being a quite astonishing force of nature gets away with stuff I'd find gash by other folk but tonight I think I'll go with something that isn't really a solo just cos I'm in the mood.

But when Thurston Moore and Lee Ronaldo off of Da Youff have one of them there guitar type duel, trade off things live it is a thing of quite exquisite feedback wonder the likes of which NONE YOU NO NONE OF YOU will hear the like of again.

Frank

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 02 May, 2014, 08:34:16 PM
something by J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr fame

Mid-period Dinosaur Jr albums were essentially one long solo.