Main Menu

Napalm Death, Apex Predator - Easy Meat!

Started by NapalmKev, 31 January, 2015, 01:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

The Masters of Grind/Extreme Metal are back, and this time they're Angry!  ;)

Apex Predator - Easy Meat is the 15th Studio Album from Napalm Death and they've really gone Mental this Time!

Now I'm a massive fan of ND but objectivity is the key here so I'll try not be Biased, but Fuck Me, this really is a Fantastic Album! Even surpassing my previous favourite, Enemies of the Music Business.

The title track, Apex... was a bit of a shock when I first listened to it. It reminds me a bit of "Multinational Corporations" from the album F.E.T.O, with Clanging Drums and Vocals ranging from 'Monk-like' chanting to all out Angry Shouts, but it also has a deep Broodiness to it thanks to some Excellent Bass work by the bands longest serving member, Shane Embury.

And then it Kicks right off!

Smash a Single Digit is Brutally fast and Short, much like the album itself. I got the Special Edition with 3 extra tracks bringing the total to 17 songs. 48 mins in total, but it covers a fair bit of musical ground in that time.

Most of the Tracks are insanely fast and short but still have a surprising amount of layers thanks to Excellent Production and the Band itself being on Top form. Having said that, one of the best Tracks is Slow Burning Dirge fest Dear Slum Landlord.

A Genuine 10/10 from me. Easily Surpassing anything they've done before and still managing to make Diverse/Extreme music something more than the Cliché it seems to be becoming with the more modern Bands of the Genre!

Cheers

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Mark Taylor

Hmph, they sold out when they started bringing out albums with fewer than 25 tracks. ;)

auxlen

My favourite ND album is fear, emptiness, despair. I've been unimpresed with recent efforts so will check it out on your say so.  :)

NapalmKev

Quote from: auxlen on 07 February, 2015, 06:13:33 PM
My favourite ND album is fear, emptiness, despair. I've been unimpresed with recent efforts so will check it out on your say so.  :)

In complete contrast; I find Fear, Emptiness, and Despair as one of my least favorite Albums by the band (although it does boast some very good songs).

Let me know how you get on with Apex...

Cheers

DaveGYNWA

Peas sell. But who's Brian?

SpongeJosh

I know im late to this post but From Enslavement to Obliteration is my Favorite ND album. I thought the best format to play this album was vinyl. You can hear some bass on it :D Also, Utopia Banished is another fav.

NapalmKev

Quote from: SpongeJosh on 22 July, 2015, 01:41:14 PM
I know im late to this post but From Enslavement to Obliteration is my Favorite ND album. I thought the best format to play this album was vinyl. You can hear some bass on it :D Also, Utopia Banished is another fav.

F.E.T.O is a good album but I preferred Utopia. It's a brutal album without a single bad tune on it. Other faves include Smear Campaign, which is criminally underrated and the mighty Enemy of the Music Business. In fact, the majority of their output has been outstanding with the exception of Two from the 90's, namely, Words from the Exit Wounds and Inside the Torn Apart.... A couple of good tunes on each but they are albums I rarely play.

Anyway, it's good to hear from a fellow 'Napalm' fan, there doesn't seem to be many of us about.

Cheers

locustsofdeath!

Man, I still remember the first time I heard Scum...

I had gradually been getting into heavier music - I think I had just bought Slayer's Reign in Blood - but I was totally unprepared for what I heard. I still love that album all these years later, and it's still my favorite.

SpongeJosh

Quote from: NapalmKev on 22 July, 2015, 04:35:43 PM
Quote from: SpongeJosh on 22 July, 2015, 01:41:14 PM

F.E.T.O is a good album but I preferred Utopia. It's a brutal album without a single bad tune on it. Other faves include Smear Campaign, which is criminally underrated and the mighty Enemy of the Music Business. In fact, the majority of their output has been outstanding with the exception of Two from the 90's, namely, Words from the Exit Wounds and Inside the Torn Apart.... A couple of good tunes on each but they are albums I rarely play.

Anyway, it's good to hear from a fellow 'Napalm' fan, there doesn't seem to be many of us about.

Cheers

Harmony Corruption!!!! Really like that one to, probably more than Utopia lol. Last album with Harris on drums (love his style of blast beat). Scum set me on the Grindcore path, I was after something with more blast beats than Death metal at the time, found Scum and that was it, hooked on Napalm and Grind!  :D So i sit here typing this in my Scum t-shirt on with Terrorizer - World Downfall album full blast! (pun intended)  :lol:

Yeah we're a rare breed. Someone starts talking about music, say you're a ND fan and its an instant convo killer  :lol:

DaveGYNWA

Shame they're not included on the Deathcrusher tour dates later in the year.

SpongeJosh

Quote from: DaveGYNWA on 24 July, 2015, 03:07:00 PM
Shame they're not included on the Deathcrusher tour dates later in the year.
YES!!!! I was wondering why we're not getting ND on that tour  :eh:. Have a feeling they might tour UK in the new year.

Anyone going see Deathcrusher tour?  :D

DaveGYNWA

Yep, heading up for the London date. Not missing that line-up.

DaveGYNWA

BTW - the good money is on ND being the 'special guest' on the date in Glasgow on 24th October. It's been leaked a few times, but an official announcement from the organisers (it's making up part of a 2-venue festival) is expected next month.

SpongeJosh

Quote from: DaveGYNWA on 24 July, 2015, 09:57:02 PM
BTW - the good money is on ND being the 'special guest' on the date in Glasgow on 24th October. It's been leaked a few times, but an official announcement from the organisers (it's making up part of a 2-venue festival) is expected next month.

Im planning on going to Wolverhampton on the 23rd Oct. Might ND turn up for a 10 sec set??? Highly unlikely but i can only wish lol.  :lol:

Greg M.

Quote from: SpongeJosh on 26 July, 2015, 08:12:23 PM
Might ND turn up for a 10 sec set???

That's easily long enough for them to do 'You Suffer' seven or eight times.

Very tempted by the Glasgow date for the Deathcrusher tour - the day after my birthday and a Saturday? It'd almost be rude not to.