Main Menu

Hello there!

Started by Juan De La Karite, 29 August, 2017, 02:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juan De La Karite

New subscriber to 2000ad and the Megazine. Basically a complete newbie with some patchy knowledge on Judge Dredd. You'll no doubt find me pop up on here with stupid questions I can't find answers to. Looking forward to weekly/monthly progs and discussion on here.

Bolt-01

Welcome. Jump in and don't be afraid to ask. Most of us don't bite...

Dandontdare

Welcome! There's nothing we like more than showing off our knowledge, so ask away!  There are loads of rebellion collections of past thrills, or subscribe to the new Ultimate Collection to amass a full bookshelf of classic thrill power

Colin YNWA

Yeah welcome aboard and ask away.

To make you feel better I'll ask you a question. What made you take the plunge for a sub with little know - if I may be nosey? Alway interesting to here how new follows in the cult of Tharg found his table of such plentiful bounties.

sheridan

Frank

Quote from: Juan De La Karite on 29 August, 2017, 02:44:30 PM
You'll no doubt find me pop up on here with stupid questions I can't find answers to.

1/ The reason you can't post on certain threads is because a moderator needs to be sure you aren't a spambot or a mentalist before approving you. Try asking nicely to be made up to full member here; if that doesn't work, the WEBSITE AND SUGGESTIONS section of the forum has a thread called WHY CAN'T I POST ON SOME THREADS?, where supplicants throw themselves before the mercy of the court.

2/ They gave him a partial rejuve in a story called Carousel, which appeared in Megazine 375. Theoretically, he can now go on forever.

3/ Case Files 5; the one with The Apocalypse War, Blockmania, and Brian Bolland drawing the four Dark Judges. Halo Jones, Sláine: The Horned God, Bad Company, and Strontium Dog: Agency Files 2. Out of modern stuff, Cradlegrave, Leviathan, and Ordinary.

4/ Don't worry; it seems mad to us as well. It's Pat Mills's least popular strip, and this is the final series, so don't feel you need to try to catch up.

5/ It got the character right, but it needed a bigger budget. Ideally, the proposed TV series should have the tone of the second film with the effects of the Stallone movie.

6/ We all started reading as little kids, either because the first issue came with a free gift or because our big brothers passed their old issues onto us. We stopped when it got rubbish in the nineties then started again once it wasn't rubbish anymore.

7/ Stay away from the Politics Thread.

8/ The Hachette  Mega Collection partwork reprints some Dredd stories unavailable in Rebellion's own reprint series, but a lot of them aren't very good. The same publisher's Ultimate Collection reprints 2000ad stories other than Dredd (as well as some Dredd) and seems like a much better way into good stories you've missed. They're only available in the UK.

9/ Don't bother with IDW's American format Judge Dredd comics.

10/ Big Dave. Maybe Michael Fleisher's Rogue Trooper.

Juan De La Karite

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 29 August, 2017, 04:50:34 PM

To make you feel better I'll ask you a question. What made you take the plunge for a sub with little know - if I may be nosey? Alway interesting to here how new follows in the cult of Tharg found his table of such plentiful bounties.

I read a lot of sci-fi and horror as it is, I was familiar with 2000ad and Dredd and it seemed like I might enjoy it so I checked out the freebies on the app. Really enjoyed some of the stuff, Zombo and Strigoi in particular, as well as some Dredd stuff I didn't know about. So I just thought screw this, I'll take the plunge.

Juan De La Karite

Quote from: Frank on 29 August, 2017, 07:43:11 PM

7/ Stay away from the Politics Thread.

Pretty appropriate advice in general these days.

Thanks for all the replies and advice so far   :)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Juan De La Karite on 29 August, 2017, 07:52:56 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 29 August, 2017, 04:50:34 PM

I read a lot of sci-fi and horror as it is, I was familiar with 2000ad and Dredd and it seemed like I might enjoy it so I checked out the freebies on the app. Really enjoyed some of the stuff, Zombo and Strigoi in particular, as well as some Dredd stuff I didn't know about. So I just thought screw this, I'll take the plunge.

That's really cool. Very brave (as I see it) to take the plunge so whole heartedly.

The great thing is you will be rewarded.

lincnash

G'day from OZ, welcome aboard. :)
You will soon find yourself waiting patiently at your mail box for the Prog to arrive.
Some of the guys/girls here, I like to think of as the "Rain Man" of 2000AD trivia.
They will be able to answer your questions in great detail.
Enjoy. :D

TordelBack

Welcome! Always room for Juan more.

Your enthusiasm is impressive - I've been reading 35+ years and I haven't committed to a sub yet: still not sure if I like it. ;)