Main Menu

Quick Question re. Best Dredd Stories Poll

Started by Batman's Superior Cousin, 08 January, 2024, 07:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quick Background

The past year, I've been writing down a list of all Dredd stories in both the Prig and the Meg. Looking back at this mighty list, I've noticed an increasingly disturbing inconsistency in the number of stories that feature the Lawman in general.

The problem is that there are more Dredd stories in the Prog (20) than in the Meg (10) and I'm wondering whether to merge the topics into one massive topic, to start this coming Tuesday night/Wednesday, which will last until at least early February-ish. At which point, I can create  a topic revealing either the best Dredd story in the Prog/Meg or Best Dredd story that year.

And now, onto the Big Question(s)

What does everyone think of said idea...? Good/bad/undecided?

Please feel free to let me know your thoughts and opinions on this within the next couple of days. If there is enough interest in the idea, I can either start  by the middle of the week or wait until next January to create what I will refer to in this topic from now on, as The Best Dredd Stories (Prog/Meg) Mega-Topic.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 08 January, 2024, 07:00:02 PMThe problem is that there are more Dredd stories in the Prog (20) than in the Meg (10)

There are more Dredd stories in the weekly comic than there are in the monthly one...? This doesn't seem either surprising or unexpected to me, never mind "increasingly disturbing"...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

GordonR

There's 50 weekly progs a year with Dredd stories in them, and 12-13 Megazines.

This isn't 'a problem'. It's just calendar arithmetic. You're inventing a problem where there's none.

Maybe just stick to what already works, with separate polls for the prog and Meg Dredd stories?  And remember how the 1st/2nd/3rd vote preference system works?

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 January, 2024, 08:09:35 PM
Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 08 January, 2024, 07:00:02 PMThe problem is that there are more Dredd stories in the Prog (20) than in the Meg (10)

There are more Dredd stories in the weekly comic than there are in the monthly one...? This doesn't seem either surprising or unexpected to me, never mind "increasingly disturbing"...
Truth be told, I couldn't think of any better wording when typing.

Quote from: GordonR on 08 January, 2024, 08:25:21 PMThere's 50 weekly progs a year with Dredd stories in them, and 12-13 Megazines.

This isn't 'a problem'. It's just calendar arithmetic. You're inventing a problem where there's none.

Maybe just stick to what already works, with separate polls for the prog and Meg Dredd stories?  And remember how the 1st/2nd/3rd vote preference system works?
1) Like the above, I couldn't think of any better wording when typing. As for the so-called 'Mega-Topic', I just thought that it'll make a nice change than the usual annual topics.

2) As for the voting system; don't you worry about that, as I have a lovely surprise that I'm cooking up especially for you that I think you would like...
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

GordonR

Quote2) As for the voting system; don't you worry about that, as I have a lovely surprise that I'm cooking up especially for you that I think you would like...

Whatever it is.....please don't. Just stick to the voting system being used on the other polls.  That one seems to work.

You got the Meg poll result completely wrong when you did it last year. Further improvisation may be a bold move.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: GordonR on 08 January, 2024, 09:12:44 PM
Quote2) As for the voting system; don't you worry about that, as I have a lovely surprise that I'm cooking up especially for you that I think you would like...

Whatever it is.....please don't. Just stick to the voting system being used on the other polls.  That one seems to work.

You got the Meg poll result completely wrong when you did it last year. Further improvisation may be a bold move.

If truth be told, it's less to do with the voting system itself and more to do with a shout-out towards yourself (and equally, a sly dig at the abysmal voting system that I did last year).
Texts from Last Night

GordonR

No shout-outs, especially involving me. Just concentrate on what you volunteered for:

Two voting topics, one for last year's Dredd stories, the other for last year's Megazine Dredd stories. Don't keep them going too long; results within a few weeks of the beginning.

You've already started over-dramatising all this, but we know you can get it done. Less telling is about it, more cracking on with it.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: GordonR on 08 January, 2024, 09:45:16 PMNo shout-outs, especially involving me. Just concentrate on what you volunteered for:

Two voting topics, one for last year's Dredd stories, the other for last year's Megazine Dredd stories. Don't keep them going too long; results within a few weeks of the beginning.

You've already started over-dramatising all this, but we know you can get it done. Less telling is about it, more cracking on with it.

What do you mean by "over-dramatising" all this...?
Texts from Last Night

Funt Solo

I think one key advantage to keeping the Meg and Prog separate for voting is that not everyone buys the Megazine.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 08 January, 2024, 10:20:36 PMI think one key advantage to keeping the Meg and Prog separate for voting is that not everyone buys the Megazine.

Yeah, that's actually a rather excellent point...
Texts from Last Night