Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking back  (Read 3160 times)

broodblik

• Bionic Fingers
  • watkykjy?
    • View Profile
Re: Looking back
« Reply #75 on: 25 January, 2023, 11:33:37 AM »
JWare the 90s was when the prog world really got turned on its head. We all here agree the 80s was golden and it is always more interesting to talk in retrospect why things went haywire :)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord’s way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death’s in case we didn’t take the hint.

norton canes

• Prog Stacking Droid
  • The leper heart will see you for what you are
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 25 January, 2023, 11:57:02 AM »
Hang on... I stopped reading 2000 AD at prog 670, March 1990 (before returning to the fold in 2017). I know it was prog 670 because that's the last prog in the last box in the loft. The wiki says The Final Solution concluded in progs 682-687, but I can definitely remember Johnny Alpha's death. Was there a protracted epilogue, or are there more progs somewhere in the loft that have lain undiscovered all this time..?

JWare

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 25 January, 2023, 11:59:06 AM »
Have you checked what the wiki has to say about your loft?
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything?

sheridan

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • Wilde Wood
« Reply #78 on: 25 January, 2023, 12:15:59 PM »
I'm glad I stayed, but looking at some of those 1990s line-ups, I do wonder how I managed it through that decade.  There was usually at least some good art in each prog, and maybe one well-written story, but it got pretty threadbare at points...  Editorial didn't help when they dismissed one letter writers musings with a reply along the lines of "it's only comics, don't overthink it" (can't remember the exact details, but I remember the day I read it, thinking this was the comic which had published Halo Jones, fallen so low now).

broodblik

• Bionic Fingers
  • watkykjy?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 25 January, 2023, 12:19:21 PM »
Hang on... I stopped reading 2000 AD at prog 670, March 1990 (before returning to the fold in 2017). I know it was prog 670 because that's the last prog in the last box in the loft. The wiki says The Final Solution concluded in progs 682-687, but I can definitely remember Johnny Alpha's death. Was there a protracted epilogue, or are there more progs somewhere in the loft that have lain undiscovered all this time..?

Final Solution Part 1 600-606, 615-621, 636-641 and 645-647 (art by Simon Harrison)
Final Solution - Replay 682 (art by Colin MacNeil)
Final Solution Part 2 683-687 (art by Colin MacNeil) - Johnny is killed @ the end of part 27
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord’s way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death’s in case we didn’t take the hint.

norton canes

• Prog Stacking Droid
  • The leper heart will see you for what you are
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 25 January, 2023, 12:53:30 PM »
Weird. Either I chucked a few progs out (I know!), or some Mandela effect thing is going on

AlexF

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
    • Heroes of 2000AD blog
« Reply #81 on: 25 January, 2023, 03:27:22 PM »
The Harrison portion of Final Solution ended with Alpha's eyes being burned out and him lying on the ground in a fairly dead-ish pose - maybe that's the imagery you now associate with his actual, later, death?

I'm another that loved FS, up until the Colin Macneil portion. Partly because I didn't like his style at the time as much as Harrisons's, but mostly because the story before then had been quirte a lot about Sagan's take-over of the UK government, which was sort of ignored at the ednign, like Alan Grant had got bored - Alpha destroys the dimension portal, McNulty and crew kind of defeat the bad guys, but there's not really a satisfying 'and then another government took over and they were a bit less horrible to mutants' moment. I remember really hoping that 'Strontium Dogs' would explain a bit more about what Britain was like in that new regime but not to be.

Closest we came to that was decades later when Wagner tackled 'The Life and Death' storyline - in which I HATED the Feral bashing storyline but rather enjoyed the evil government mutant sterilisation storyline.