Main Menu

John Wagner topic - can we have some more, please?

Started by PsychoGoatee, 12 January, 2019, 10:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonR

I've always found that "bigger than Bowie!" line somewhat suspicious.  I mean, did Bowie even do any signings at that store?

And now that I know it came from arch-bullshitter Igor Goldkind....

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 24 January, 2023, 10:29:03 AM
Quick question on those classic Grant/Wagner partnership years. What were the last Strontium Dog and Dredd stories they worked on? I know Wagner was on "Bitch", and I found this fun interview with them both from 1988 talking about it, and their partnership. But was Wagner on The Stone Killers etc, stuff from early 1988? Right up to The No-Go Job?

Stone Killers onward was Grant alone.
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Quote from: GordonR on 24 January, 2023, 10:33:46 AM
I've always found that "bigger than Bowie!" line somewhat suspicious.  I mean, did Bowie even do any signings at that store?

Bowie defo did signing at the London Virgin Megastore, though can't speak to the timing. The bigger factor, if it was 1988, wouldn't that have been during his Tin Machine phase, which may explain a lot!

GordonR

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 24 January, 2023, 11:23:10 AM
Quote from: GordonR on 24 January, 2023, 10:33:46 AM

Bowie defo did signing at the London Virgin Megastore, though can't speak to the timing. The bigger factor, if it was 1988, wouldn't that have been during his Tin Machine phase, which may explain a lot!

Arf!  I did think to myself "...but, you know, if it had been a signing for a Tin Machine album..."

PsychoGoatee

Good to know on Stone Killers, thanks!

Sounds like that Batman/Dredd signing was from around 1991 I think.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Tu-plang

Tin Machine II. Released 2 September 1991
Dredd/Batman: Judgement on Gotham. Released December 1991.

It checks out.

davidbishop

ISTR being present for the conversation with the shop staff where the Bowie comment arose. The JoG queue was massive. It might even have gone round the block at one stage.

PsychoGoatee

broodblik

So far we have Spector running in the meg (455-).
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: broodblik on 07 August, 2023, 06:02:48 AMSo far we have Spector running in the meg (455-).

That's great, nice to see that's back. I have that special it was originally in but didn't read it. I wonder if there's any script changes in the reprint etc. Cool to see it continue.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 07 August, 2023, 08:36:14 AMI wonder if there's any script changes in the reprint etc. Cool to see it continue.

Nope. Those first two Carlos episodes are exactly as they appeared in the original special.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

..after that Dan Cornwell is on art duties. I am not sure how many episodes it will be
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

Why didn't you read it?! Living up to your username?

Blue Cactus

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 07 August, 2023, 05:36:19 AMAny Wagner news in 2023 so far?

There's been a successful kickstarter this year for a collection of Bogey Man strips including a new one by JW and Ron Smith.