Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire limited hardcover announced  (Read 11456 times)

robprosser

• Page Numbering Droid
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire limited hardcover announced
« Reply #60 on: 22 October, 2022, 04:13:56 PM »
Delivered yesterday.

Jade Falcon

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 29 October, 2022, 05:45:21 PM »
It arrived yesterday.

I already have the super deluxe editions from the Don Lawrence collection some years ago.  I am buying the books with stories from other artists.

Many many moons ago I remember getting a pile of Look and Learns from a Jumble sale.  One story had a few scenes stick out in my mind.  Remember the very first story showing the invasion of Tharv by the Lokans, and there was a scene showing the last stand of the Tharv royal guard?  There had been a story showing a flashback to this scene, and what I vaguely remember is a survivor of the Royal Guard who was either wounded and unconscious or fled rather than stand and fight.  I have seen so sign of this so far.  This must be a non Don Lawrence story.

What is concerning me is that an initial announcement said there was going to be 4 books, and I have the contents of book 1 and 2, and I now have books 3 and 4.  Is that it?  Because there must be other stuff not printed as of yet.

I also noticed some of the non Lawrence artwork was practically copied, the scene in a late story of the Trigan cavalry charging and being butchered by enemy armoured forces was practically a copy of the Caton guard being massacred in the very first story.

IndigoPrime

• Administrator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.craiggrannell.com
« Reply #62 on: 29 October, 2022, 07:19:54 PM »
They’ve not reached Oli Frey’s stuff yet, have they?

73north

• Page Numbering Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 30 October, 2022, 08:43:22 PM »
" They’ve not reached Oli Frey’s stuff yet, have they? "

No that would be in from 1976-1977 , so Volume 5 probably -

interestingly , I discovered Oliver Frey did the very first Front Cover for
Battle Picture Weekly Number 1 back in 1975 !

Jade Falcon

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 03 November, 2022, 11:30:03 PM »
A criticism online said that the Empire faced repeats of foes partially due to its short 2 pages per issue format and that it suffered for that despite gorgeous artwork.

While true, I feel this is an unfair criticism, how many superhero comics over the years reused the same villains and often it is only in recent years that there has been a development of these.  Dredd for instance with the legacy of the Apocalypse war, for one example.

The fact is that back then it was a common thing, even Dan Dare and the Mekon had this.