Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What does Garth Ennis have up his sleeve...?  (Read 2037 times)

The Legendary Shark

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Tip: Sharks only attack you if you're wet.
    • View Profile
Re: What does Garth Ennis have up his sleeve...?
« Reply #15 on: 04 February, 2022, 11:49:48 AM »

As usual :(

~~~^~~~~~~~

Never Forget.

milstar

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 February, 2022, 05:40:09 PM »

War Stories is a sort of anthology series of one-off war tales (it's all good, but volumes 1 & 2 are sublime, and you've got the likes of Ezquerra, John Higgins, David Lloyd, and Dave Gibbons on art); Battlefields is great too, and you have a chance to get to know the characters a bit more than in War Stories as most of them get repeat outings. Out of the Blue is an aerial combat book, continuing the story of a character from War Stories II. The artist struggles a bit with people quite frankly, but his dogfights are something else. The same team also did a great Johnny Red book. There's also a Battler Briton miniseries with Colin Wilson which is unmemorable but decent enough; and The Stringbags, a recent HB with PJ Holden that should probably be top of your list - it's superb!

Aw, cool! War Stories sounds intriguing, I just the idea of having multiple artist. And I'll keep my eye on Battle Briton, I just love Colin Wilson.

Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 February, 2022, 06:54:36 PM »
There's two different runs of War Stories - the DC / Vertigo one Dark Jimbo alludes to is really rather wonderful. 48 page (I think it was) self contained stories.

The second run was from Avatar Press almost 30 issues with a format based on the Battlefields format, 3 issue mini-series typically. These settle on an artist pretty early on, which was a real shame as they weren't very good at all. And brilliant as the stories were, and they were often really brilliant, the art really tried my patience and I only just stuck to the series until the end.

I'd defo recommend the DC / vertigo volumes first, but Battlefields is superb as well.

Tjm86

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 February, 2022, 07:04:40 PM »
I'd second that as well.  Like Jimbo says, the artist roster is something else but the tales themselves are great.  DC released them as TPB's a while back.

I'd also second the Stringbags recommendation.  I had to admit to being a little leery of Holden as artist.  I wasn't much taken with the Traitor General strip work.  On this though he is at the top of his game.  It's an interesting mix of historical / fictional writing.

As for the Dreaming Eagles recommendation ... f*** yes!  It's also interesting in that it weaves in later civil rights issues.  Coleby does an amazing job as always.

Dark Jimbo

• Bionic Fingers
  • Grobbendonk spoke gibberish, a fringeworld dialect
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 February, 2022, 07:52:39 PM »
There's two different runs of War Stories - the DC / Vertigo one Dark Jimbo alludes to is really rather wonderful. 48 page (I think it was) self contained stories.

The second run was from Avatar Press almost 30 issues with a format based on the Battlefields format, 3 issue mini-series typically. These settle on an artist pretty early on, which was a real shame as they weren't very good at all...

Don't worry about different runs though milstar, it's all collected in TPBs as one series - the original run is collected as volumes 1 & 2, the Avatar stuff as volumes 3 & 4.
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 February, 2022, 07:59:26 PM »

The second run was from Avatar Press almost 30 issues with a format based on the Battlefields format, 3 issue mini-series typically. These settle on an artist pretty early on, which was a real shame as they weren't very good at all...

Don't worry about different runs though milstar, it's all collected in TPBs as one series - the original run is collected as volumes 1 & 2, the Avatar stuff as volumes 3 & 4.

Arh didn't realise they pulled it all together. So is it creator owned then?

On another note there's an old thread we used to talk about Garth's work a lot. There'll be more opinion in that:

https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=23383.390

milstar

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 February, 2022, 09:19:47 PM »
Hm... Seems that some issues are out of stock. Although I wish if someone collected all four vols into the one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=garth+ennis+war+stories&crid=1XVHP8IBO5UKJ&sprefix=Garth+ennis+war+s%2Caps%2C411&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_17
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Proudhuff

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Don't go away angry...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 February, 2022, 10:12:37 AM »
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Don't go away angry...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 February, 2022, 10:19:45 AM »
I'd second that as well.  Like Jimbo says, the artist roster is something else but the tales themselves are great.  DC released them as TPB's a while back.

I'd also second the Stringbags recommendation.  I had to admit to being a little leery of Holden as artist.  I wasn't much taken with the Traitor General strip work.  On this though he is at the top of his game.  It's an interesting mix of historical / fictional writing.

As for the Dreaming Eagles recommendation ... f*** yes!  It's also interesting in that it weaves in later civil rights issues.  Coleby does an amazing job as always.

I third the above
DDT did a job on me

pauljholden

• 2000AD Creator
  • PJ Holden
    • View Profile
    • Twitter/pauljholden
« Reply #24 on: 13 February, 2022, 05:09:19 PM »
Wait’ll you see The Lion and the Eagle
La Placa Rifa

Funt Solo

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Research Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 February, 2022, 05:20:06 PM »
I'd also second the Stringbags recommendation.

I third the above

I fourth. The Stringbags is superlative.
++ map ++ thrills ++ coma ++

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 February, 2022, 05:32:10 PM »
I'd also second the Stringbags recommendation.

I third the above

I fourth. The Stringbags is superlative.

I'll go five on that. Just brilliant.

Bad City Blue

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 February, 2022, 10:40:45 AM »
Stringbags is excelent
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

pauljholden

• 2000AD Creator
  • PJ Holden
    • View Profile
    • Twitter/pauljholden
« Reply #28 on: 15 February, 2022, 11:28:34 AM »
Glad everyone seemed to enjoy stringbags - THE LION AND THE EAGLE IS IN COMIC SHOPS ON WEDNESDAY! 40 PAGES, OVERSIZED! JUNGLE WARFARE!

La Placa Rifa

Bad City Blue

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 February, 2022, 11:45:22 AM »
Is that complete or ongoing?
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there