Main Menu

What does Garth Ennis have up his sleeve...?

Started by Dandontdare, 27 January, 2022, 11:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

From the interview about Hawk the Slayer in Meg #440:

"Upcoming I've Got The Lion & The Eagle for Aftershock, which is a savage war story set in Burma during World War Two with art by PJ Holden, a second series of Jimmy's Bastards, another Punisher mini, more Russian Front war stories with Steve Epping - and something very, very special from Rebellion, something that I think fans of 1970s comics will be very happy about."

He's already done Dan Dare, and I imagine Pat Mills creations like Bill Savage are off the table, so I'm curious.

My money's on a gritty reboot of Dash Decent featuring a backstory in which an honest ex-soldier saves a young Dash from paedophile priests whilst taking violent revenge on his corrupt former commanding officers.

BPP

It's the Cor!!-ossed Apocalypse Japes Summer Special.

Henry pitched it to him during Hawk The Slayer correspondence
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

O Lucky Stevie!

That would be the Battle Action annual that is slated for September.

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

pauljholden

"...his armies"

Just came here for that.(i admit it would work better if you'd asked "what does garth ennis have up his sleevies".)

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

What does Vladimir Putin have up his sleevies? Not his armies, as he's sent them to the border with Ukraine. Also, he's topless and riding a horse, so he doesn't have sleeves. My standup routine needs work...

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Link Prime

milstar

Is there anything good from Ennis, ww2 related, aside Sara? I am not really versed in his ww2 output, although I've read The Adventures in the Rifle Brigade, and while it had Kelly's Heroes, dark, farcical humor, I actually found it often off than hit. I don't know about his Battlefield, many gave it good reviews so I may get that one day.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

broodblik

Quote from: milstar on 04 February, 2022, 01:52:11 AM
Is there anything good from Ennis, ww2 related, aside Sara? I am not really versed in his ww2 output, although I've read The Adventures in the Rifle Brigade, and while it had Kelly's Heroes, dark, farcical humor, I actually found it often off than hit. I don't know about his Battlefield, many gave it good reviews so I may get that one day.

Battlefield is quite good we even have Carlos The King Ezquerra on art duty then I can also recommend Dreaming Eagles with Simon Coleby on art duties.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: milstar on 04 February, 2022, 01:52:11 AM
Is there anything good from Ennis, ww2 related, aside Sara? I am not really versed in his ww2 output...

War Stories is a sort of anthology series of one-off war tales (it's all good, but volumes 1 & 2 are sublime, and you've got the likes of Ezquerra, John Higgins, David Lloyd, and Dave Gibbons on art); Battlefields is great too, and you have a chance to get to know the characters a bit more than in War Stories as most of them get repeat outings. Out of the Blue is an aerial combat book, continuing the story of a character from War Stories II. The artist struggles a bit with people quite frankly, but his dogfights are something else. The same team also did a great Johnny Red book. There's also a Battler Briton miniseries with Colin Wilson which is unmemorable but decent enough; and The Stringbags, a recent HB with PJ Holden that should probably be top of your list - it's superb!
@jamesfeistdraws

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 04 February, 2022, 10:19:50 AMand The Stringbags, a recent HB with PJ Holden that should probably be top of your list - it's superb!

There's also "The Lion and the Eagle" by Garth & PJ from Aftershock — #1 out any time now...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"