Main Menu

What does Garth Ennis have up his sleeve...?

Started by Dandontdare, 27 January, 2022, 11:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

milstar

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 04 February, 2022, 10:19:50 AM

War Stories is a sort of anthology series of one-off war tales (it's all good, but volumes 1 & 2 are sublime, and you've got the likes of Ezquerra, John Higgins, David Lloyd, and Dave Gibbons on art); Battlefields is great too, and you have a chance to get to know the characters a bit more than in War Stories as most of them get repeat outings. Out of the Blue is an aerial combat book, continuing the story of a character from War Stories II. The artist struggles a bit with people quite frankly, but his dogfights are something else. The same team also did a great Johnny Red book. There's also a Battler Briton miniseries with Colin Wilson which is unmemorable but decent enough; and The Stringbags, a recent HB with PJ Holden that should probably be top of your list - it's superb!

Aw, cool! War Stories sounds intriguing, I just the idea of having multiple artist. And I'll keep my eye on Battle Briton, I just love Colin Wilson.

Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Colin YNWA

There's two different runs of War Stories - the DC / Vertigo one Dark Jimbo alludes to is really rather wonderful. 48 page (I think it was) self contained stories.

The second run was from Avatar Press almost 30 issues with a format based on the Battlefields format, 3 issue mini-series typically. These settle on an artist pretty early on, which was a real shame as they weren't very good at all. And brilliant as the stories were, and they were often really brilliant, the art really tried my patience and I only just stuck to the series until the end.

I'd defo recommend the DC / vertigo volumes first, but Battlefields is superb as well.

Tjm86

I'd second that as well.  Like Jimbo says, the artist roster is something else but the tales themselves are great.  DC released them as TPB's a while back.

I'd also second the Stringbags recommendation.  I had to admit to being a little leery of Holden as artist.  I wasn't much taken with the Traitor General strip work.  On this though he is at the top of his game.  It's an interesting mix of historical / fictional writing.

As for the Dreaming Eagles recommendation ... f*** yes!  It's also interesting in that it weaves in later civil rights issues.  Coleby does an amazing job as always.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 February, 2022, 06:54:36 PM
There's two different runs of War Stories - the DC / Vertigo one Dark Jimbo alludes to is really rather wonderful. 48 page (I think it was) self contained stories.

The second run was from Avatar Press almost 30 issues with a format based on the Battlefields format, 3 issue mini-series typically. These settle on an artist pretty early on, which was a real shame as they weren't very good at all...

Don't worry about different runs though milstar, it's all collected in TPBs as one series - the original run is collected as volumes 1 & 2, the Avatar stuff as volumes 3 & 4.
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 04 February, 2022, 07:52:39 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 February, 2022, 06:54:36 PM

The second run was from Avatar Press almost 30 issues with a format based on the Battlefields format, 3 issue mini-series typically. These settle on an artist pretty early on, which was a real shame as they weren't very good at all...

Don't worry about different runs though milstar, it's all collected in TPBs as one series - the original run is collected as volumes 1 & 2, the Avatar stuff as volumes 3 & 4.

Arh didn't realise they pulled it all together. So is it creator owned then?

On another note there's an old thread we used to talk about Garth's work a lot. There'll be more opinion in that:

https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=23383.390

milstar

Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Quote from: Tjm86 on 04 February, 2022, 07:04:40 PM
I'd second that as well.  Like Jimbo says, the artist roster is something else but the tales themselves are great.  DC released them as TPB's a while back.

I'd also second the Stringbags recommendation.  I had to admit to being a little leery of Holden as artist.  I wasn't much taken with the Traitor General strip work.  On this though he is at the top of his game.  It's an interesting mix of historical / fictional writing.

As for the Dreaming Eagles recommendation ... f*** yes!  It's also interesting in that it weaves in later civil rights issues.  Coleby does an amazing job as always.

I third the above
DDT did a job on me

pauljholden

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Bad City Blue

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

pauljholden

Glad everyone seemed to enjoy stringbags - THE LION AND THE EAGLE IS IN COMIC SHOPS ON WEDNESDAY! 40 PAGES, OVERSIZED! JUNGLE WARFARE!

Bad City Blue

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there