Main Menu

I bought Halo Jones (again)

Started by wedgeski, 17 January, 2023, 03:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedgeski

Just received my slipbook version of the new omnibus, and at the risk of providing this forum nothing of value, it's bloody great. Lovely look and feel, and arrived in perfect condition.

Instead of enjoying the background content, I immediately started re-reading the comic, so I have little else to say right now. I think this is the 5th time I've paid for this story. Unless they provide a free Alan Moore with the next version, this should be definitive.

Magnetica

So taking the bait.....two questions

What versions do you have?

And why do you need 5 different ones?

(The most I have bought something is three times).

IndigoPrime

I shudder to think how many times I've bought Nemesis book 1.

Best of 2000 AD
Quality Comics reprints (sadly, the shit ones with Sam Keith covers)
Original 2000 AD Progs, when I back-filled them
Titan Death to all Aliens
Rebellion Nemesis phone book vol. 1
Deviant Edition (Eagle comics)
Hachette
Digital as well, if that counts

I managed to stop short of those fancy French editions.

It must be the same for some other tales. (Halo would be at least five in print.)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 January, 2023, 08:24:31 PM

Say what you like about the 'Quality' Comics reprints those Sam Kieth cover, boy oh boy those Sam Kieth covers!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 17 January, 2023, 09:42:30 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 January, 2023, 08:24:31 PM

Say what you like about the 'Quality' Comics reprints those Sam Kieth cover, boy oh boy those Sam Kieth covers!

Well when you get past those colours, needs to get past those colours to fully appreciate their genius.

IndigoPrime

Honestly, I didn't think much of the covers after the first two or three. And whoever took over part-way through the run came across like they'd neither read the strip nor remotely cared about what they were doing.

wedgeski

Quote from: Magnetica on 17 January, 2023, 07:50:05 PM
So taking the bait.....two questions

What versions do you have?

And why do you need 5 different ones?

(The most I have bought something is three times).
I wasn't baiting, honest, just having a public word with myself. Original run, Titan omnibus, Titan omnibus again after water damage, Rebellion colourised paperbacks, and now this.

Lorenzo

Tsk, tsk! You're missing the Rebellion omnibus edition from 2007. In its original-and-best black and white form! As much as I like the new coloured version I think it's a shame that it is no longer available in B&W.

Magnetica

I have recounted and reckon the most copies I have of stuff is 4. I also have a bunch of things 3 times.

I never really set out to buy things multiple times, it's just ended up that way by accident.

For what it is worth what I have 4 times is selected episodes of The Cursed Earth.

I originally bought the Titan edition as I wasn't buying the Prog at the time it was published.
Then I bought the Hachette as the pages have come loose in the Titan edition, so that was a replacement for that.

Then I bought the Uncensored version to get the missing episodes and colour centres spreads.

And I have bought the odd back Prog, more to fill in my collection, than to specifically get the Cursed Earth.

Things I have three times are where I have the original Progs, then bought a physical collected edition, which I think is valid, and then got a digital version as part of a Humble Bundle. And so hadn't really intended to.

Apart from Nikolai Dante, where I decided I need collections of the whole lot and bought them when there was an offer on digital, including buying two I already had physically, to make sure they were all in one place.

broodblik

I also bought all the digital versions available. I am actually glad I got the B/W version when it was still available. I want to add the following is that the color version is great and I prefer the color version (no it has not destroyed my child-hood and in any case when I first read Halo Jones I thought it was garbage, it was not Slaine or Rogie so it must be rubbish)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.