Main Menu

Robohunter: Planet of the Robots [in colour] - scheduled for September 2023

Started by Dash Decent, 15 January, 2023, 11:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Robo-Hunter: Planet of the Robots - Paperback, 5th September 2023.

WHEN THE GET SLADE THEY STAY SLADE!

For forty years Sam Slade has been one of the best robo-tectives in the business, but all of his experience couldn't prepare him for his latest case. In 2080 overpopulation of the Earth led the Space Commission into seeking out new planets to colonise. Four years later they discovered Verdus, a suitable planet in the Crab Nebula. Now, Colonists who sent there have not been heard from again. The Commission believe that robots have taken control of the planet and want Sam to uncover the truth. It's a dangerous case, but one Sam can't refuse – otherwise he's guaranteed a bullet in the head!

This classic 2000 AD strip is presented in full colour as it was when collected by Eagle Comics as a five-issue mini-series.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

IndigoPrime

Curious that Rebellion's using the Eagle Comics colours. I guess the art exists, so why not? And people do appear to prefer colour of any type over black and white (bar the people laying into Barbara Nosenzo over on Facebook about her Halo Jones work, because god forbid anyone ever disturb their holy shrine of "everything was perfect in 1984").

Leigh S

Interesting - was this one resized by Gibson, like O'Neill rejigged his pages for the Nemesis mini series?

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Dash Decent

I have been puzzling over the wording, as to whether it means -

a) This is an exact reproduction of the layout and colouring from the Eagle Comics run, or
b) We've used the original 2000AD layout but coloured it in the same way and with the same palette used on the Eagle Comics run, or
c) The colouring is new but they're pointing out it's not the first time the story has been coloured in.  "Hey, this one is in colour!  You remember colour, don't you?  We've done it before, like that time we published this story in Eagle Comics."

Like Leigh hints at, I was also wondering if the art had been bodged to fit the Eagle format, as that may be an indicator to which one above.  Either (a) straight reprint [if bodged in a good way, and/or by someone noteworthy] or (c) original unbodged version but now coloured in [if the bodged version is considered an abomination].

And again, like IP I was thinking about Halo Jones too but my thinking was this may be to follow up on any interest generated in Ian Gibson's work by the Halo Jones reprint in The Best of 2000AD.

I'm still of the view that ultimately everything will go down the same road as Halo Jones and end up being coloured in.  That won't make the B&W versions disappear, but I think it's increasingly likely if Rebellion want to continue to sell reprints to new audiences, and to find ways of re-selling them to those of us who have already bought them.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

The Monarch

If i remember right the original verdus story predated John and Alans teamup as a writing partnership?

Magnetica

Quote from: Dash Decent on 15 January, 2023, 01:41:29 PM
I'm still of the view that ultimately everything will go down the same road as Halo Jones and end up being coloured in.  That won't make the B&W versions disappear, but I think it's increasingly likely if Rebellion want to continue to sell reprints to new audiences, and to find ways of re-selling them to those of us who have already bought them.

I'm fine with that. After all Rebellion is a business and anything that generate more income for them has only got to be a good thing in terms of their long term prosperity and ultimately their ability to keep printing the Prog.

If colour is the only way to attract a new audience, then why not? Especially if the coloured version already exists.

For the the die hardship, as you say the black and white still exists, so everyone should be happy surely?

For what it's worth I've got the coloured version of Halo Jones, but only because it was included in a Humble Bundle. I don't think I would have bought it otherwise. And I've not read it, mainly because I had only recently read the Hachette black and white one, and wasn't going to read it again so soon.

nxylas

Quote from: The Monarch on 15 January, 2023, 07:14:39 PM
If i remember right the original verdus story predated John and Alans teamup as a writing partnership?
Yeah, I think Alan only started co-writing from Day of the Droids on.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Swerty

Dash Decent

Quote from: Magnetica on 15 January, 2023, 07:56:57 PM
I'm fine with that. After all Rebellion is a business and anything that generate more income for them has only got to be a good thing in terms of their long term prosperity and ultimately their ability to keep printing the Prog.

My thoughts exactly.  If it keeps 2000AD going, it's a good thing.  And Rebellion have shown from the Treasury of British Comics line that they are interested in both preserving comic history and getting it out to customers if there are any.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

sheridan

I prefer black and white (if the original was designed for B&W) but would like to point out that colour versions also make it more accessible for people with dyslexia and other neurological / perception impairments.

maryanddavid

There was some panels redrawn by Gibson IIRC. Robo Hunter as a series was one of the few W&G series I could take or leave, but this is a great story, and the last one  is pretty good too.
The Hogan/Hughes runs seem largely forgotten but I really like it, I wouldn't mind a collection of that, might not be enough material though.

IndigoPrime

Just 78 pages, according to Barney. For some reason, I thought there was more.

The Monarch

could be worse they could do something else so unspeakably horrible to bulk up the numbers that i dare not repeat in good company

Dash Decent

Quote from: maryanddavid on 16 January, 2023, 09:52:06 PM
There was some panels redrawn by Gibson IIRC.

Well, that answers the question.  Noteworthy bodging in colour, creating a unique variant version Robohunter for our collections.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll