Main Menu

It's About Time (Brian Bolland picto-memoir) - released Spring 2023

Started by Dash Decent, 21 September, 2022, 03:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

nxylas

Quote from: Funt Solo on 21 September, 2022, 05:39:38 PM
- "So what's this book about?"
- "Not graphic design."
"It's the life and times of possibly comics' greatest cover artist, and I wanted to convey that."
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Dash Decent

The picture at the bottom of the cover looks like some kind of random placeholder.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

nxylas

Quote from: Dash Decent on 23 September, 2022, 08:54:22 AM
The picture at the bottom of the cover looks like some kind of random placeholder.

CHAPTER ONE: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet...
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

GordonR

Quote from: Dash Decent on 23 September, 2022, 08:54:22 AM

I think some kind of unfunny 'creator as a kid, as an adult, as a collection of fossils' comment is being made.

But, really, fuck knows. That cover design's all over the place.

Dash Decent

This is better, but not by much.  It's obviously a great self-portrait by Bolland, but there's not a lot of design going on in this cover design.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

GordonR

Still sticking with the 'four different fonts choices for five lines of text' thing, though.

This is local parish newsletter level stuff, not something you'd associate with a too visual arts professional.

IndigoPrime

I'm not a book designer ("You don't say" – GordonR, after seeing the below), but this is five minutes of faffing from me. Now imagine what a professional in the field could do. I really hope Brian didn't pay much (or anything) for what he's got so far, because a few hours with a jobbing pro in the field could net him something far better than this. Like Gordon says, it feels like something that you'd see stuck up on a local notice board, having been sorted by someone battling with Word.

Dash Decent

There's something going on with the title too.  Is the different colour at the end of 'Time' meant to give the alternative reading "It's About Me"?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

IndigoPrime