Main Menu

Prog 2301: Primate Scream

Started by Magnetica, 25 September, 2022, 05:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

With three strips starting new runs, one of which is it's first book after a initial episode in a Regened Prog last Nov, plus a complete Dredd and a Future Shock, I guess this is technically a jumping on Prog. But it really doesn't feel like it, especially after last week's zombie special.

Dredd has nice art by Dave Taylor, but completely telegraphs the twist pretty much from the third panel on page 1.

Best thing in the Prog, by many a mile is Chimpsky, which introduces a couple of extremely creepy characters.

Enemy Earth picks up the story from Prog 2256. I'd recommend re-reading that first. It's early days, but so far I'm not gripped.

I can't remember the last time I read a Future Shock that I liked. Yes I get why they exist, but they do nothing for me anymore.

Then we get the first part of the final book of Hershey which I guess picks up from the last one, but I'm not sure how much I actual care. As always Simon Fraser's art is top quality, but the  colour palette is very subdued. Ok I get it's in the Antarctic, but even so.

Something that never seems to get commented on is the review of the last 45 years of thrills. Three things stood out for me (or urge same thing 3 times?). I can't believe it's 11 years since Tharg's 3rillers started. If you had asked me I would have said 5 years tops. Plus it's also 11 years since Day of Chaos and when Grey Area started.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Dredd had an inevitability about it, but I liked it a lot anyway. I mean, it's not like you didn't know how things would end up when you read a lot of Wagner/Grant one-shots back in the day – and this felt a lot like one of those. Chimpsky lashes on the dark humour and does something different with the strip. The standout for me this week.

Enemy Earth was my favourite new thing from recent Regened issues, and I'll be interested to see how a full run lands. This first issue blazes through the set-up pretty quickly and leaves us on a sombre cliffhanger for a strip that'll end up in Regened trade reprint.

The Future Shock wasn't that shocking, but it was pretty funny. The concept of [spoiler]an AI that needed constant validation lest it have a strop and kill everything[/spoiler] feels amusingly on-point. And then Hershey gave us another mix of divisive bleak-meets-action. (I like it; I'm aware others do not.)

In all, I thought this was a really solid Prog. Nothing I disliked.

Chimpsky > everything else

Tjm86

I can't disagree with much of anything here.  Be interesting to see where Enemy Earth goes although I'm not a massive fan of the artwork.  Bit like early Jake Lynch ...

The FS feels like a clever idea that lost it a bit with the execution.  Bit too much exposition rather than revelation.  Old FS's tended more towards the latter with minimal revelation.  A quick gander at the Gary Leach collection would give an idea ...

Think I need to go back and revisit Hershey to remember what is going on ...

Dredd.  Taylor's artwork lifts a fairly predictable piece that does a better job on social media commentary than the FS.

... and then there's Chimpsky.  Holden in his element, on something he's made for.  Love the Midwich CBeebies vibe.  It's almost hard not to channel too many of those shows that we used to have to sit through as parents when the kids were younger with a sort of disturbed fascination.   I still have to remind myself that it's not "In the Midnight Garden" or "In Night Zero," confused my thrills and chills.

An uptick after last week's Zombie-fest for me but still pootling along rather than firing on all cylinders.

Colin YNWA

With so much set up in the three opening parts of the new ongoing stories to some degree this issue was going to land or fsall on the two done in one tales. Alas neither quite work.

Dredd has absolutely lush Dave Taylor art and feels like a classic, but stumbles too close to cliche Dredd and doesn't quite work. Still as I say lush.

The Future Shock was similar - we've seen Liana Kangas before right - with so many new artists getting tryouts in various Specials and Treasury comics I'm starting to lose track of where we've seen folks before. Which is a shame as the art here is great. The story alas even if a decent idea feels like its rather hammered out, not really sure how to get a good story out of the idea and ultimately failing both story and idea due to that. Shame as its close - bit like the Dredd in that respect.

So with this two stumbling we're left with the set up and its very variable.

I enjoyed Enemy Earth in the Regened and again lovely energetic art just this one does give us much lost poor of powerful man needs to be returned to... well who knows what's left. The creepy ending felt forced on to give us an ending really. Still opening part, get the pieces moving and we can move to the good stuff from here with any luck.

Hershey - jez Simon Fraser is good ain't he. Quick bit of exposition to get us up to speed, threw in some pirates for a bit of action and then final page to crank up the tension. Bit like Enemy Earth, job done effectively but with little oomph. No biggie we can head to the good stuff from here.

And the good stuff - well in this Prog its Chimpsky ain't it. Does a MUCH fresher job of setting things up. Our creepy villians are set up by doing. Chimpsky and the status quo seamlessly established and with no fuss the two pulled together. This doesn't need to set up the good stuff, this is the good stuff. Oh and PJ is just superb.

So overall christ the Prog looks good. And there's nothing to worry about here, but its a little about what could be, or will be rather than what is. Aside from Chimpsky, Chimpsky rocks.

broodblik

Not to bad prog new stories that first must established themselves. Chimpsky and Hershey the highlights and a good Dredd as well.

Dredd – This was a nice once-shot. Yes, the ending was telegraph quite early in the story, but it still put a smile one your face to see the "ridiculous" law enforcement in action.

Chimpsky – Love this and great to have it back in the prog. The setup was done excellently, and I am looking forward to what Niemand and PJ can bring to the table.

Enemy Earth – I did not like this when it came out in the regen prog but will give it fair shot to try and win me over. The first episode did not really grip me, but it might also be that I am not a fan of Luke Horsman's art, and it is almost a retelling of the regen episode.

Shock – Not a bad shocker but also not the most interesting. I am getting tired of a these social media stuff maybe someone can tell us how to uninstall it all from our lives.

Hershey – Good to have it back especially Simon Fraser on art duties. The first episode all about the setup and let's see where this is heading.

One thing I do not "like" is to have more than two Dredd-verse stories in the prog, that is why we have the meg.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

Having blotted my copybook last week somewhat by slagging off the zombie Prog almost everyone loved, I was keen to get back to the business of loving the Prog this week. This Prog is... ok. It's mostly setup episodes, so nothing to get hugely excited about at this point, but promises much.

Dredd – Nice little tale and a very old school feel to it. Slight but fun. Looks fantastic!

Chimpsky – Excellent setup, ready for things to kick off next episode. I already hate these kids (in the right way)!

Enemy Earth – Another setup episode which is fine with me. This stood out for me in Regened - it seemed darker and more interesting than a lot of the other tales there - and this is another dark episode so interested to see where it goes. I'm not a huge fan of the art: must be my old eyes but I found it a bit confusing, but that's on me, not the artist.

Future Shock – Not bad but also somewhat unmemorable. I agree it's a clever idea that didn't quite translate.. I too have started to feel like 'social media is bad' is the default setting for a FS nowdays (I know it's true, but there you go)

Hershey – Enough's been said about what's wrong with this story. Putting that aside, it's a decent setup. Dirty Frank's boggley eye eyepatch is a highlight but some absolutely stunning stuff from Simon Fraser on the art.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Timothy

Nice nod to Alan Grant on the cover.

broodblik

broodblik

The Corinthian

It feels like a long time since we've had some full-throated Dirty Frankisms. Welcome home.

This may be an unpopular thought in some quarters, but the new Chimpsky feels a lot more like what I'd expect from a properly 2000AD-flavoured Regened prog than a lot of what's appeared in the actual Regend progs.

norton canes

Can only agree with the sentiment that Chimpsky gets it spot on while the other strips all fall short in some respect. 'Half Smart' is based on a decent enough premise but the payoffs are a bit scattershot and I suspect the story will be best remembered for another Dave Taylor art masterclass (got strong Grey Area vibes from the first panel on the third page). Enemy Earth reads nicely but it's blatantly a Regened strip and feels completely out of place. Pandora Perfect worked in the prog because it could fall back on its sharp humour - so far, EE hasn't demonstrated a similarly compelling selling point. Still, it was more sophisticated than Skip Tracer </damnwithfaintpraise>. 'Echo' was centred around a nice idea but felt padded even at five pages, which is a shame because I think the notion of a controlling AI that requires constant positive validation from social media could, with the right embellishments, support a longer strip. Finally, Hershey was... actually Hershey was rather good, not sure why I said all the other strips fell short of Chimpsky.

Anyway Chimpsky, yes - exquisite, absolutely exquisite. The titular ape's previous solo outing was good but the extended character roster made it feel like a bit of a sprawl - this one's even better for being stripped back. Hope it stays at six pages, looks like it'll be the highlight of the prog for many weeks to come.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I really like that cover, PJ. Hits the "evil-hypno-puppeteer" nail on the head.
Lock up your spoons!

Bad City Blue

Dredd is fun, some nice lines as well.

Chimpsky is very intriguing, one of those strips that you REALLY want to see what's next.

Enemy Earth doesn't do much for me

Future Shock is okay.

Hershey looks gorgeous and is a decent start
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

nxylas

Quote from: Magnetica on 25 September, 2022, 05:41:08 PM
I can't remember the last time I read a Future Shock that I liked. Yes I get why they exist, but they do nothing for me anymore.
It seems obvious that Honor Vincent is destined for bigger things, so give her a damn series already.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!