Main Menu

Prog 2302 - ....and Hell Followed with Her

Started by broodblik, 05 October, 2022, 04:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

A good prog with just one misstep.

Dredd – An interesting one-shot and continues the concept that Maitland pitched. Maitland now has a change to prove her concept as she is given a year to see if it works.

Chimpsky – The misadventures continue and poor Chimpsky is now the next victim of the twins. We are still very much in setup territory. Good start by Niemand and PJ.

Hope – The first episode of the second part focus on Mallory's "wife". Everything is quite normal until she gets "hungry" and then all hell breaks loose. Interesting start to the next arc.

Enemy Earth – More back-story but still the story does not really do anything for me. Not my cup of tea.

Hershey – We start off with a scene when Hershey was just a rookie and then we jump back to the main story. The story is "superbly" told by the great artwork of Simon.  A good solid start.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

norton canes

Hadn't been delivered to Smiths today. Catastrophe!

Batman's Superior Cousin

Still mot been delivered to my Parent's house yet!! :(
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Huey2

" what. a. cover."

Absolutely.
That said, I've got to ask, is anything added by having a tagline splashed across half the picture?
Can't we just have a plain image?

broodblik

Agree the cover is awesome no need for words

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Really enjoyed that Dredd- and I for more interested in how that turns out than I am in the next crisis/ invasion/ alien superfiend shenanigans that is probably just around the corner. Also, Boo Cook's art was wonderful- that page with her just sitting, all lonely and (maybe) anxious outside was perfect. I've not been a massive admirer of Cook's art up to now, but that proved to me he can tell a story with great skill.

Any comic that can serve up a lead strip that good, two weeks after an equally fantastic *but completely different* one-and-done 'event' like the zombie thing, is a strip that is in rude health.

Everything else was top notch as well- I'm still not convinced entirely by Enemy Earth, as I think it's far too juvenile for a comic that has a lead story about political approaches to crime and a strip like Hope. Chimpskey walks that fine line with more dexterity, whereas Hershey would probably be impenetrable to anyone not versed in Dredd lore, but manages to please me no end. Antarctica! Snowscapes! Simon Fraser!

SBT

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

*"I'm far more interested..."

Why don't we have an edit function in this bit of the forum?

SBT

Grush

This is my one year anniversary of returning to reading the Prog after a thirty-ish year break. Really wish I had come back earlier, as it has been an excellent year for thrills.

This prog's highlight was Dredd, for me, setting up what should be a very interesting storyline at some point over the next year. Really intrigued to see how that pans out. I loved the line "Where in your models is the mutant?" – caught me off guard.

This is my first dose of Chimpsky, and this episode does a grand job of setting up who he is by showing, rather than telling. Hope is back with a strong opener (I thought the recent run was a bit hit and miss). Not quite feeling Enemy Earth yet – art is a bit too abstract for me, but it's early days. I remember Hershey from 30-odd years ago, and this is a nice atmospheric tale so far, filling in sufficient back story for me to keep up.

Fantastic cover image too.

broodblik

Quote from: Grush on 06 October, 2022, 12:16:39 PM
This is my one year anniversary of returning to reading the Prog after a thirty-ish year break. Really wish I had come back earlier, as it has been an excellent year for thrills.

Welcome but if you are digital then it is easy to get back issues basically from 2003 until now

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

the words on the cover are, as usual, a distraction.
however, if they'd run with just a "HOPE RETURNS" tagline, that would have been pretty cool, intriguing (to the uninitiated) and timely.

Barrington Boots

My Prog arrived today, which is when it usually arrives with no postal strike, so Tharg's warning wasn't needed.
As everyone else says the cover is an absolute stunner and the tagline does it no favours whatsoever.
The Prog itself seems to be still in setup mode. I feel like everything is ready to step up a gear next week.

Dredd – Not so much of a tale as a setup for a future tale. Boo Cook's art is fantastic here. As a lefty liberal myself, I really hope Maitlands plan works.

Chimpsky – Essentially the second part of the setup from last week. This is the best thing in the Prog again imo, it's engaging and I could have read another ten pages straight away.

Hope – Absolutely horrific stuff. The storytelling in previous run of Hope was dire and it's meant I'm tending to look at this with a more critical eye but as an opening episode this is a very good one so I'm hopeful I'll really enjoy this run.

Enemy Earth – I don't like the art on this. This stood out in Regened for the darker tone and concept, but here in the Prog it's not interesting at all. Early days though.

Hershey – Really great art. More story setup, which is fine, although tbh I already can't remember what happened other than Hershey decked a guy in the street. Let's see what happens next.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

norton canes

Quote from: norton canes on 05 October, 2022, 01:08:11 PM
Hadn't been delivered to Smiths today. Catastrophe!

Still no prog 2302 in Smiths. Time is running out...