Main Menu

The New Adventures of Pat Mills

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 13 October, 2022, 12:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

I think it's safe to say that anyone reading has a lot of sympathy around anyone else suffering a bereavement. As that's starting to encroach into someone's personal life we might consider quietly moving on. It's not as if we're going to be able to fix anything and, as has been covered in previous threads, the door at the Nerve Centre remains open.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

As the person who brought that aspect in to this thread - sorry!  My view of that situation are that there were no 'winners' with both Smith and Smith in difficult situations.

AlexF

While we're re-assessing recent Mills works, I recently learned somwhere (think it was buried in the middle of 'Kiss My Axe, his memoir of writing Sláine), that Mills's original title for Greysuit was 'The Whistleblower'. All by itself, that makes me re-assess the entire series. Which I very much didn't enjoy, but mostly because I read it as a modern Brit Spy thriller that ended up actually being about a revenge tale against Upper Class Brit paedophiles. If I'd known the 'Whistleblowing' was the entire point, I reckon I'd've given it more of a chance.

Link Prime

Personally I think the lack of regular Mills input in recent years has been to the Prog's detriment.
He remains one of the finest writers alive, and one of the most important and inventive creators in the history of the comic.

Looking forward to the return of Joe Pineapples in a few weeks.

sheridan

Quote from: AlexF on 04 November, 2022, 12:36:09 PM
While we're re-assessing recent Mills works, I recently learned somwhere (think it was buried in the middle of 'Kiss My Axe, his memoir of writing Sláine), that Mills's original title for Greysuit was 'The Whistleblower'. All by itself, that makes me re-assess the entire series. Which I very much didn't enjoy, but mostly because I read it as a modern Brit Spy thriller that ended up actually being about a revenge tale against Upper Class Brit paedophiles. If I'd known the 'Whistleblowing' was the entire point, I reckon I'd've given it more of a chance.

I wonder if I'll remember to bear that in mind whenver my prog slog gets to those stories?

nxylas

Quote from: AlexF on 04 November, 2022, 12:36:09 PM
That does seem to be a recurring theme in his work, unsurprising given the history he's shared on his blog.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

13school

Quote from: Link Prime on 04 November, 2022, 02:40:11 PM
Personally I think the lack of regular Mills input in recent years has been to the Prog's detriment.
He remains one of the finest writers alive, and one of the most important and inventive creators in the history of the comic.

Looking forward to the return of Joe Pineapples in a few weeks.

Agreed. It's a real shame he's stepped back - I wouldn't want a prog full of Mills, but he always added something to the mix that nobody else could provide.

I see he's now planning a self-published series where he goes into the origins of most of his best-known characters, which should be interesting (even if some of the origins have already been pretty well covered).

I, Cosh

Quote from: Funt Solo on 15 October, 2022, 11:30:24 PM
Quote from: Robin Low on 15 October, 2022, 06:40:34 PM
Dear god, man! Why?
Hurr. Short answer is that I find it useful. It's both content and structure, and helps me find stuff. I'm pretty sure Cosh has his own version of it, as well. Which *might* help him feed Barney from time to time. I'm not sure about the exact method by which Cosh feeds Barney.
Indeed I do. It started as a download from your old web page I think. Over time, I stopped cataloguing the Meg in the same way, because it didn't seem worth the effort, but I've always kept the Prog file updated. A year or so ago, I realised I needed the Meg details for something else I was working on but didn't have them and couldn't send you a PM. So, if you'd be willing to share that Meg data I'd be really thankful.
We never really die.