Main Menu

Prog 2307 - Grub's up!

Started by Colin YNWA, 05 November, 2022, 05:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

That rarest of lovely things these days a Saturday Prog. Can't remember the last time. Shame the cover is such a jumble.

Luckily inside is pretty damned decent. Dredd moves things on clearly and with some lovely character work with Dredd. I mean big (head) bad Sov Judge [spoiler]was lying[/spoiler] is pretty easy going for twists but the rest is just excellent and how knows maybe there's a twist on the twist... I mean it needs it. Flint magnificent as ever.

Enemy Earth blasts out into the world above so we can see this enemy Earth we've been teased with. Its nice frenetic stuff, even if it does hucker down with very sterotype journey through post apocolypic world its earned this ... too much and there is a good flash back. Finally cranking up.

Hope is superb and horrible. So much as you where and as you where is mighty fine.

As it is with Chimpsky just brilliant - love this.

Hershey makes the absolute best of Simon Fraser's high energy, grand design art with a combative episode that is just thrill a minute. Breath-taking.

So yeah pretty fine Prog. And ON A SATURDAY!!!!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Not a bad prog with some minor dents in the bodywork.

Dredd – Some interesting twists as the action heats up with PSI Div takes the brunt of the attack. Dredd is Dredd so no psychic block will stop him, and he is face-to-face with the real enemy

Enemy Earth – This story I have read and seen a hundred times. Nothing new very genre generic and maybe that is why the story does not resonate with me. 

Hope – Grim as always as the story delves more into the origin of the reel. Dark and twisted still a good read.

Chimpsky – On the run no friends just perils around each corner as Chimpsky figures out his next step. Super enjoyable this is the type of thrill to get up early in the morning to read.

Hershey – Frantic action filled episode as Hershey pursues the drug traffickers. Fraser's art is a joy too watch good stuff.

BPP

Rob Williams Dredd is just the best Dredd.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

IndigoPrime

New Brink coming! Yay! As for the Prog: Dredd blazes along. Rob Williams does do a good "Dredd as action movie". Enemy Earth is fine for what it is. Hoping for some twists. The art is interesting but I fear might not be ideal for the target market. Hope is grim and felt quite slight this week. Chimpsky is again the best thing in the Prog for me – wonderful fun. And Hershey? Well, Rob Williams does a good "Hershey as action movie" too.

I enjoyed that a lot. A big return to form after last week, but then that's no surprise given where all the stories had been paused.

Chimpsy > Dredd = Hershey > Enemy Earth > Hope

broodblik

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 November, 2022, 10:02:45 AM
New Brink coming! Yay!

....and the good thing is that it looks like Bridget is also back

Funt Solo

Wish it had been Mayor Grubb...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Leigh S

The new Sov flavoured Judge Death Lives sure is pretty - it's better than End of Days I suppose, but psychic threat Dredds should be very very limited and using the same beats ("I Lied") might be homage, or might justcome across as lazy depending on your mileage - given PSI div are all goners, maybe we are in for a sychich trhreat free future, cos otherwise...

Chimpsky is also psychic threating it, which doesnt help either story, but at least here I'm getting some thrills, even if each episode feels a bit light for some reason I cant pin down

The rest remans unread, despite a pledge to myself to read everything that I made a year or so back

broodblik

Barrington Boots

Prog fell a bit flat for me this week.

Dredd still looks just amazing. Dredd is great here being his most inflexible self, but I'm less keen on the Zersetzung now it looks like they might be the evil Sov X-Men with a bunch of different powers and codenames. Feels like the story could now go one of two ways and I'm hoping it doesn't hark back to End of Days too much.

Enemy Earth I'm ashamed to say I didn't even finish it this week.

Hope Very light episode. I think I'm checked out on this series, it did nothing for me whatsoever.

Chimpsky top Thrill by some distance. It's another light episode, but I'm really into this story and want to see what happens next.

Hershey All action episode, absolutely brilliantly put together - the action felt really kinetic and crazy whilst still having some fantastic facial expressions on Hershey herself. I still find it hard to warm to this series, but this Antartic take has been my favourite so far.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Corinthian

Anyone else think that [spoiler]Buratino's[/spoiler] last line is a [spoiler]classic misdirect and he won't be the baddie after all?[/spoiler]

broodblik

I also think you are right on that one The Corinthian

Link Prime

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 10 November, 2022, 09:11:08 PM
I'm hoping it doesn't hark back to End of Days too much.

I like my 'End of Days' call-backs as much as I like my 'Awakening Of Angels' call-backs.

Magnetica

I haven't commented on the Prov thread for a while at I have been behind on my Progs. Now I had caught up, this really is a review of the current runs rather than than this particular Prog.

Best thing by miles is Chimpsky. That wouldn't be the case if it was up against stronger thrills, but at present it's the strip I look forward to most.

Close behind is Hershey, which is very readable and has great art.

If Dredd has to hark to a previous epic, then End of Days would be pretty low on my list. So not great, but passable. And I might be in a minority, but I'm not too sure about Flint's new style. It's not massively different to his old style, it's more little changes, but I preferred his Chaos Day era stuff. Still great mind- after all it is Henry Flint.

Enemy Earth and Hope do very little for me. Not much has happened in the former and I haven't found a reason why I should care. The later has just lost me. I have very little idea what is going on. Now normally I'd consider a re-read, but in my catch up I read each story as a whole rather than Prog to Prog, so I've already done that, and it still makes little sense to me.

Overall I'll be happy enough when this current run comes to an end and we get new stories, but I assume that won't be until the Xmas Prog. Which may well be my last physical Prog as I'm probably going digital when my subscription renews.