Main Menu

Prog 2312 - Xmas with the Devil!

Started by broodblik, 14 December, 2022, 12:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Another year has passed, and we have the xmas prog to see out the year. This was a great prog with a lot of surprises and two great series returning for the new year. What makes this prog slightly different is that in many sense this is also a tribute too two of the greatest talents which graced the pages of 2000AD. This might also be the last time we might see certain creators.

Dredd – A xmas tale in the just the way that Niemand can tells it. A modern retelling of the Ghost of Christmas Past featuring the man from downstairs himself and some classic characters from bygone years. Lee Carter brings us some great visuals. Good start to the xmas prog.

Rogue – Here we go as we have another classic character returning. The story plays off right after the events of Cinnabar as the Norts yet again try their hands at creating a GI off them all. As per normal we always know how this one ends up. [spoiler]What was music too my ears are to see a Rogue story from Ennis and Goddard coming soon.[/spoiler]

2000AD Credit Card – A very good tribute to Kevin O'Neill.

Bonjo – The final strip by the great Kevin O'Neill. This is one off those strips that does not take itself too seriously. It is a stupid but yet fun strip. As Garth even takes a swipe at one of his own creations. The last page was just awesome.

The Out – This episode continues from the end of book 2 as Cyd is interrogate as she explains her side of the story. Good start to the new arc.

Joe Pineapples – This might be a watershed for the prog since this is most likely that this will be the last appearance in theory for two of the most prolific people in the industry: The Biz on pictures and Mills on words.  The first episode is more about setup I am quite intriguing to see where this will be going. A good start.

Hope – Another grim and dark twist of events. It is difficult to see away out of this predicament. Looks like scored earth tactic will cause more harm than good hopefully Mallroy will have a "solution".

Ace – Well not a very big fan of Ace and the story ended in more off a tribute to Alan Grant.

Standing on the Shoulders of a Giant – Also a good tribute to the great Alan Grant.

Dredd (Troublemaker) – This is another tribute to Alan. Alan Grant (or rather Alvin Gaunt) has a go at old Stoney-face just to make some trouble.

Proteus Vex –The galaxy in turmoil as all war breaks out. A lot of setup going on and it looks like it is each species for themselves. This has been one of my favorite new series and I just love the sci-fi space opera, great to have this back.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

broodblik

The Monarch

i am sure looking forward to reading this in january going by the constant royal mail bs

The Corinthian

broodblik

The Enigmatic Dr X

I hope the Dredd tale is about the Devil, and I hope it rhymes. I loved the Devil story in the annual ('84?).
Lock up your spoons!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Well, so far my copy has accompanied me to work- where it has sat in a WHS bag for nearly 24 hours now. Later it will go home with me and, with luck, with sit underneath my coffee table until joined by next week's Meg, and I can find some time to enjoy both consecutively. I've not had a day off for sixteen days now, so am hoping for such an oasis of calm *at some point* between Wednesday next week and Xmas.

I've not been able to put aside time to read the Xmas prog and Meg together for some years, and this year the idea really appeals. So I've not even opened it yet. But the cover looks great!

SBT

JayzusB.Christ

Well, I haven't read it yet, but that's a lovely little play on words on the cover.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 15 December, 2022, 08:23:16 AM
I hope the Dredd tale is about the Devil, and I hope it rhymes. I loved the Devil story in the annual ('84?).

Don't you mean "Beat The Devil"?
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

The Enigmatic Dr X

Was that what it was called? Sound familiar.

Anyway, yes! I am just going by the cover of this Prog and wondering if it harks back to that old tale. Wasn't it an annual? I am sure I read the rhyming Devil story one happy Christmas, reading through an annual?
Lock up your spoons!

Richmond Clements

Gangaman in the prog. What a time to be alive.

Something Fishy

There must be thousands of these things sitting in a yard somewhere waiting to go out sometime next year. I must have 6 issues waiting out there somewhere now.   It's not great for companies that rely on this, surely many of us will give up in the end.

Something Fishy

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 15 December, 2022, 08:37:14 AM
Well, so far my copy has accompanied me to work- where it has sat in a WHS bag for nearly 24 hours now. Later it will go home with me and, with luck, with sit underneath my coffee table until joined by next week's Meg, and I can find some time to enjoy both consecutively. I've not had a day off for sixteen days now, so am hoping for such an oasis of calm *at some point* between Wednesday next week and Xmas.

I've not been able to put aside time to read the Xmas prog and Meg together for some years, and this year the idea really appeals. So I've not even opened it yet. But the cover looks great!

SBT

if i lived near a town with a WHS i'd definitely revert to that.  as it is i think i will have to go digital.  I'm hoping they give subs a copy seeing as yet another prog has failed to arrive and it's the big one.  not sure what i will do now post sub, possibly just grab it digitally, or possibly call time on it.  surely have to at least keep the annual prog tradition alive, it's a nice little winter warmer.