Main Menu

Prog 2312 - Xmas with the Devil!

Started by broodblik, 14 December, 2022, 12:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Magnetica on 01 January, 2023, 07:10:39 PM
Dumb question. If Joe Pineapples has been stranded on that asteroid for a million years (or possibly ten), how come anyone has heard of him, let alone still  consider him a major scalp?

Isn't that bit in flashback?

As others have said, a cool prog but also one that left me feeling downcast. Two tribute sections, a pair of Alan Grant tribute strip and Kevin O'Neill's last work... just brings it home how much we have lost in 2022.

Really enjoyed both Dredd strips. Daft fun in the first one with some really lovely work from Lee Carter. Second strip was, as Colin so neatly outs it, cheeky. Great stuff.

In comparison Rogue Trooper had that lightweight feel of an old annual strip - somewhat divorced from continuity and of no real relevance. The nighmarish clone rogue looked good, but like most Rogue after it finished, not really interesting. I wouldn't have thought Rogue was a character worth reviving, but tbh I can't think of a better team to try than Ennis and Goddard so lets see!

Loved Bonjo although a little surprised / disappointed about the choice of phrase 'Tardzilla'.. Otherwise, excellent.

The Out rules, as ever. As often with The Out, no idea where this is going next.

Joe Pineapples starts off with some awkward dialogue. The setup doesn't look great so far, but I'm hoping it'll start firing.

Hope - No thanks.

Ace Trucking is another one I don't feel is worth revisiting, but a nice tribute strip and an upbeat little tale - perfect for this sort of Prog.

Proteus Vex warranted an immediate re-read of the previous Proteus Vex. Felt like a particulary dense opening episode, and so hard to 'review' as such. I really like Proteus Vex and I'm glad it's back.

Plus the teaser of a new Abnett strip & Bettin is very exciting indeed!

Took a long time to arrive but well worth the wait. Cheers Tharg!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Magnetica

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 02 January, 2023, 09:25:08 PM
Dumb question. If Joe Pineapples has been stranded on that asteroid for a million years (or possibly ten), how come anyone has heard of him, let alone still  consider him a major scalp?

Is it? I'm just going off the dialogue, where Ro-Jaws asks how long they have been there and  Joe says, "what does your atomic clock say?" To which the answer was "a million years? Ten million years?"

NapalmKev

Quote from: Magnetica on 03 January, 2023, 11:14:15 PM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 02 January, 2023, 09:25:08 PM

Is it? I'm just going off the dialogue, where Ro-Jaws asks how long they have been there and  Joe says, "what does your atomic clock say?" To which the answer was "a million years? Ten million years?"

"Long enough to see the birth and death of a Star." Which suggests to me billions of years at the very least.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Barrington Boots

I had to double check but I'm pretty sure the story is 'we've been on this asteroid for billions of years, how did we end up here and what's the deal with this mysterious plate?'

After the first few pages Joe starts narrating how he left Mars for an as-yet-unexplained sniping problem: they go through the Heavens Gate and the bad guys are on the other side. I'm guessing it will eventually lead to them being stuck on the asteroid for ever...
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Link Prime

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 04 January, 2023, 09:15:51 AM
I had to double check but I'm pretty sure the story is 'we've been on this asteroid for billions of years, how did we end up here and what's the deal with this mysterious plate?'

After the first few pages Joe starts narrating how he left Mars for an as-yet-unexplained sniping problem: they go through the Heavens Gate and the bad guys are on the other side. I'm guessing it will eventually lead to them being stuck on the asteroid for ever...

That's the set-up alright Barrington.
Great having the Mills & Bisley Droid's back, but not yet sold on the ludicrous plot.

Otherwise a really great end-of-year Prog, more memorable than several of the prior Christmas specials.

Rogue Trooper and Bonjo the highlights for me.