Main Menu

Strontium Dog comes to Kickstarter?

Started by Leigh S, 21 December, 2022, 07:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Looks good, but his nose looks wrong.  It could be the angle, but Carlo's always drew it (pre-break) like a fish finger.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

I would have also gone with the holster over the groin rather than the armoured codpiece.  I know it's the design Carlos came up with for the TV show but it gives me flashbacks to Stallone Dredd.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dash Decent on 19 January, 2023, 02:20:59 AMLooks good, but his nose looks wrong.  It could be the angle, but Carlo's always drew it (pre-break) like a fish finger.

Hang on, did we actually see Johnny's nose get broken?  I don't remember that at all.  But yeah, the fish finger nose is a Carlos staple - his Dredd kind of has one too.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dash Decent

Great to see the headsculpt has been revised to give Alpha his classic Ezquerra 'fish finger' nose.  They've also reduced the electonux from their ludicrous size.  The cod piece is still in, however.  They've added a gun and holster nearby, though it doesn't obscure it and the grip on the gun is not the curved type Carlos used to draw but more boringly normal.  But it's getting there!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

sheridan

I might be imagining it, but didn't young Johnny (in Portrait of a Mutant) already have the fish finger?

Dash Decent

Yes, 'classic' Alpha always had that very flat, rectangular nose that I say is like a fish finger.

In the 'return from the dead' continuations, his nose is a different shape.  Someone said (here?) it's because his nose had got broken, but I don't remember when or where that happened.  It didn't look as good and lessened some of the stylistic appeal of Alpha for me.  I kept waiting for him to get it fixed in a speed-heal or something.  I found it really jarred me out of the story sometimes.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

This fat bloated nose, this is the distracting one.  It looks wrong.  It's not a nose I'd pick.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Trooper McFad

It must be a nightmare trying to get things right for a commercial piece. There are usually so many images from the source material and the art droids do change things slightly as the years go on.
If you pick one story/image you then might not have sight of what's on the other side of the character in that moment so you may have to go on another image which could be drawn in a different style and has add on's to fit the story arc.
I've had this issue doing my mashup's but I'm not trying to sell stacks. I just have to satisfy one Tooth fan😁.

Everyone has their favourite period/Style so to satisfy everyone is an immense task.
I hope he sells well and maybe they produce another character or 2
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Trooper McFad

If I'm reading this correctly, now that the statue will be for "public" sale and they sell 500 units then they will do a Rogue!!!

Or does it mean including the units paid for through the Kickstarter.

I'd have thought that those with the spare dosh have already splashed the cash and getting another 500 to sell could be a tight ask.

Which is frustrating for a Trooper Fan 🙁
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Steve Green

I think it was a run of 500 inc the KS backers.

Anyway, they've been discounted due to low sales, and storage costs - now £130 inc shipping

Here's a pic I took when I met up with a friend in a nearby pub...

SD Statue Page