Main Menu

Hello and I'd like to ask for a little help with what to read

Started by Zoso5, 28 December, 2022, 06:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoso5

Quote from: JWare on 28 December, 2022, 08:19:16 PM
Your best bet is to go back in time to about 1980 or '81 – making sure that you arrive in that era a couple of years before adolescence hits. Then you just get stuck in to whatever is on sale. Nothing simpler.

A word of warning: do not attempt to communicate with boys who are reading Roy of the Rovers. You'll be speaking different languages.
One more thing (and this might save you from a beating): when asked whether Adam and the Ants or Shakin Stevens, the answer is of course Madness.

Yes, Madness obviously. But the again, I don't know Shakin Stevens and I never really cared for Adam and the Ants US hits!

Zoso5

Quote from: Richard on 28 December, 2022, 09:19:43 PM
Not everything in the 90s was bad. Button Man is excellent. Nikolai Dante started then. Many people would recommend Sinister Dexter, although I wouldn't. There were some good Slaine stories between progs 1104 and 1118. There was a series of one-episode science fiction stories called Pulp Sci-Fi, and a series of fantasy stories called Tales of Telguuth (the latter series has been collected in a book).

The Complete Case Files series has enough good Judge Dredd stories by John Wagner (from the Megazine) to be worth persevering with, in my opinion. But Wagner returned as the main Dredd writer in 2000AD from late 1994, or Case File 21.

Thank you.  This is the kind of info I was looking for even though I neglected to say so in my original post. You must be a mind reader!

JohnW

Quote from: Zoso5 on 29 December, 2022, 05:31:04 PM
I don't know Shakin Stevens
You've perhaps heard of Elvis Presley?
Shakin' Stevens was the Welsh Elvis or, to put it another way, Elvis was the Tennessee version of Shakey.
Maybe not as pretty as Adam Ant, but he had a longer career, and he had moves.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

sheridan

Quote from: JWare on 29 December, 2022, 07:12:17 PM
Quote from: Zoso5 on 29 December, 2022, 05:31:04 PM
I don't know Shakin Stevens
You've perhaps heard of Elvis Presley?
Shakin' Stevens was the Welsh Elvis or, to put it another way, Elvis was the Tennessee version of Shakey.
Maybe not as pretty as Adam Ant, but he had a longer career, and he had moves.

Elvis craftily taking Shakin' Stevens thunder by getting in about three decades earlier.  Sneaky!

sheridan

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 28 December, 2022, 08:57:54 PM
Quote from: JWare on 28 December, 2022, 08:19:16 PM

...the answer is of course Madness.

That's your answer to everything...

The police. 
They weren't as good as madness. 
I did not understand her at the time. 
I think   I understand her now.

GoGilesGo

Quote from: Zoso5 on 29 December, 2022, 05:25:19 PM
I jumped in at Block Mania and kept going chronologically prog by prog. I want to keep reading chronologically

Blockmania / The Apocalypse War is a fine place to start but it is well worth rewinding a couple of years and picking up Case Files 3.

For my money this is when Dredd really hit its stride.  You witness crazy Mega City One trends in the form of Umpty Candy, Boing and Sob Story. The first appearance of Judges Anderson and Death and one of the most succinct mini epics ever written: The Black Plague.