Main Menu

Prog 2315: Solar Flare

Started by Leigh S, 13 January, 2023, 11:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyNailz

Borag Thungg Y'all!

Haven't been on here in ages due to house moves and an ever increasing backlog of progs.  But, after a catch-up of the current runs thought I'd return to the forum and give my half-creds worth of opinions.

Dredd - Always like a Niemand Dredd tale and very much enjoying this one.  My only critique (and its not a problem as such) is that since the kidnapping attempt last prog, its not looked very 'Mega City One', and just looks a bit contemporary (from the van the kidnappers used, to a lot of the general architecture).  It reminds me more of the 2012 movie version of MC1. To be honest, it adds to the gritiness of the tale so by no means a bad thing.  Overall,  a thrilling thrill.  I do worry things will pan out badly for poor old Citizen Aguerra.

Joe Pineapples - Personally not really a fan.  Very Mills.  Clunky dialogue with an occassional song thrown in to up the word count (a bit harsh that perhaps, but I do find a lot of his stories include at least one old blues or folk lyrics in them)

Hope - I think I've accidentally skipped an entire book somewhere within my backlog.  That being said, despite feeling confused, I'm hung on to the plot (I think) and look forward to the next one.

The Out - Think I missed an entire book of this too, but it's kind enough to let you know what happened previously so I feel like I'm on track.  Best thing in the prog!

Proteus Vex - Suffers only to being the second story in the prog featuring an epic intergalactic space-war, otherwise I'm a big fan of the way the story is always told as a history lesson.  Probably missed a previous run of this too. Is there still a little guy inside him?  If so, I'd like to see more of the wee fella,

All in all, a decent crop of thrill power (albeit with a mouldy old pineapple)

norton canes

Yes! More Neil Roberts PVC (Proteus Vex Cover), just what I want to see. Anyone get shades of this..?

Look it's a busy day so I'm a keep things suck-sinked here: it's a five out of five prog. 'The Night Shifter' continues to build the tension and intriguingly explore whether Dredd's ultimate motivation is a mechanical adherence to the law or a genuine desire to protect innocent citizens. Hope winds up with what is, yes, the most coherent and enjoyable instalment of '...in the Shadows' (I realise now I've been putting the ellipsis at the end of 'Hope' all this time when they actually belong with the chapter titles). The Out serves up an entertainingly quirky episode and Proteus Vex continues on its imperious course. And... look, say what you like about Joe Pineapples (oh, you are), at least it's idiosyncratic. I liked the 'slave names' explanations for the sniper droids' awful monikers and the [spoiler]Bob Hoskins[/spoiler] line was priceless. So for things like that, I can forgive its faults.

Typical, innit - just after I go digital, there are two spectacular double-page panels...

nxylas

Quote from: norton canes on 19 January, 2023, 11:52:57 AM
I liked the 'slave names' explanations for the sniper droids' awful monikers and the [spoiler]Bob Hoskins[/spoiler] line was priceless. So for things like that, I can forgive its faults.
Just don't ask how Joe Pineapples would know who [spoiler]Bob Hoskins[/spoiler] was.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

IndigoPrime

I mean, it's a great contemporary reference. For the 1980s. (Comics tend to date with this stuff. It's another thing for the thing to already be dated on publication. But there you go.)

norton canes

I guess. The trouble is, if he'd used a contemporary reference then chances are I wouldn't have known who he was on about, what with me being middle-aged and out of touch with who's on TV and in movies these days. At least I know who Bob Hoskins is!

IndigoPrime

It's why I'd tend towards writers avoiding such things unless writing contemporary fiction. We see the same weirdness in Dredd sometimes, with Judges – who at most having a passing knowledge of popular culture – chatting about sometimes obscure bands from a century in the past. I mean, streaming music has transformed the industry to the point everything is now to some degree, but still.

nxylas

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 January, 2023, 01:38:59 PM
It's why I'd tend towards writers avoiding such things unless writing contemporary fiction. We see the same weirdness in Dredd sometimes, with Judges – who at most having a passing knowledge of popular culture – chatting about sometimes obscure bands from a century in the past. I mean, streaming music has transformed the industry to the point everything is now to some degree, but still.
I guess it's of a piece with city blocks being named after C-list 20th century celebrities. It's best not to question it too much. Alan Grant said it was based on the American habit of naming things the Bob Hope Memorial Hospital or whatever. But when I lived over there, I found that more often than not, things tended to be named after local civic dignitaries. So my explanation for that is that when you see a Terry Wogan block or whatever, it's actually named after Alderman Terry Wogan of sector 27 as a reward for 50 years of loyal service on the sector council, or whatever they have in Mega-City One.

Barrington Boots

I also dislike current stuff being directly referenced in futuristic comics, but it depends how its done. Usually the block names are just little jokes in the background, but that scene where the ABC Warriors talked about their favourite metal bands is appallingly cringey (and I own music by most of the bands they referenced).

I didn't actually mind the Hoskins reference this week but I'd sort of tuned out on the strip already.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Proudhuff

Dredd – Enjoying this, was a bit wary at first, thinking there might be some serious stereotyping coming down the line, but no!  A great story, great art and a great Dredd. Not too verbose for me: the action he takes blasting kidnappers away etc then giving a stock 'we're investigating' reply made me chortle.

Joe Pineapples – glanced over, just comes across as dated, tired and nonsensical.

Hope – read and enjoyed, but would like it rested for a bit now.

The Out – glanced over, but have lost interest, feels like its fumbled the ball a bit.

Proteus Vex – glanced over, just want to see some resolution to all this!

So not top proggage for me, where's the GRennie droid when we need him!
DDT did a job on me

JohnW

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 19 January, 2023, 02:03:51 PM
...the ABC Warriors talked about their favourite metal bands ...
The Warriors did what?
I knew I was justified in tuning out back when Kev Walker was still doing the art, but knowing what's lying in wait for me, there's now no way in heck I'm going to attempt a catch-up.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

nxylas

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 19 January, 2023, 02:03:51 PM
I also dislike current stuff being directly referenced in futuristic comics, but it depends how its done. Usually the block names are just little jokes in the background, but that scene where the ABC Warriors talked about their favourite metal bands is appallingly cringey (and I own music by most of the bands they referenced).

I didn't actually mind the Hoskins reference this week but I'd sort of tuned out on the strip already.
Yeah, I think "rule of funny" applies here. The Hoskins line, and the idea of city blocks in a future sci-fi megalopolis being named after people like Jimmy Clitheroe, make me laugh, so I don't mind them.