Main Menu

Helltrekkers - Released December 2023

Started by Dash Decent, 22 January, 2023, 06:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Helltrekkers: Webshop Exclusive (Hardback) - Hardback, 6th December 2023

"They were the new frontiersmen-men and women who hated life in Mega-City One so much that they were willing to travel 2000 kilometres across the radiated desert known as the 'Cursed Earth' in order to start a new life. The chances of reaching the new territories are slim - the hostile environment is full of danger, including acid rain downpours, killer viruses, mutants and herds of hungry dinosaurs! To increase their chances of survival, Helltrekkers set off in large convoys. But sometimes fellow travellers can cause just as many problems as the threats from outside!

"Written by John Wagner and Alan Grant, The Helltrekkers is a monumental survival story and one of the earliest Dreddverse spin-off strips."

Interestingly, both Amazon UK and The Book Depository are listing this as the 'webshop exclusive' version.  I'm assuming they'll actually be selling the paperback version, but that otherwise the details will be identical and therefore reliable to flag here. 

Book Depository
Amazon UK

I love this Haynes manual type cover.  If that's the webshop exclusive cover, I'll be getting this from the webshop!  And Tharg, that might even make a good t-shirt, mug or notebook.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Colin YNWA

Oh man that's almost worth it for that lovely cover alone!

IndigoPrime

Lovely cover. Curious release. I guess this one has enough fans then.

nxylas

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 January, 2023, 10:20:46 AM
Lovely cover. Curious release. I guess this one has enough fans then.
I guess so. Not sure who. Even Wagner and Grant said they lost most of their enthusiasm for it once they saw the art.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

JohnW

Wagner and Grant lost interest? I thought it was a thumping good story, and the art was a big part of that. If it's ever reprinted again l might think differently, but as a serial story for the kid that I was, it worked really well. I mean, it had everything. Black scab, quicksand, acid rain, lava, tank-like covered wagons with spikes on top -- everything!
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

nxylas

Quote from: JWare on 22 January, 2023, 05:23:13 PM
Wagner and Grant lost interest? I thought it was a thumping good story, and the art was a big part of that. If it's ever reprinted again l might think differently, but as a serial story for the kid that I was, it worked really well. I mean, it had everything. Black scab, quicksand, acid rain, lava, tank-like covered wagons with spikes on top -- everything!
I'm quoting from an interview I did with Alan for Fantasy Advertiser donkey's years ago (my first published work!) Unfortunately, I then went on to be rather rude about Robin Smith, not realising that he was a friend of Alan's. Oops.

JohnW

Your one shot at the big time, and you blew it.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Max Headroom

Just seen on Barney that the reprint of episode one of Helltrekkers in Meg 218 contains a previously unpublished form from the abortive 'Dredd Fortnightly of 1984. Wonder which version they will go with in the Webshop edition? (Maybe they could reprint both; with one version as bonus material at the back - be nice to compare them?)

JOE SOAP

nxylas

Quote from: JWare on 22 January, 2023, 05:48:55 PM
Your one shot at the big time, and you blew it.
It's called being a snotty teenager.

Dash Decent

A new listing at Amazon UK, for the 'non webshop' standard edition (Click!).  [And could the accidental release of the top secret webshop cover be why Rebellion are now looking for a new Marketing droid, hem hem?] ; D

What a great cover!  Whereas previously I'd thought the Haynes style cover would easily induce me to buy the webshop edition, this is now a hard choice to make.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Rogue Judge

I've not read Helltrekkers, but that cover, not to mention the creative talent involved, have enticed me. Think I'll be getting this one (regular cover)!

GoGilesGo

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 19 March, 2023, 02:46:29 AMI've not read Helltrekkers, but that cover, not to mention the creative talent involved, have enticed me. Think I'll be getting this one (regular cover)!

This story was just starting when i first picked up the prog in 1984 so I've always had a soft spot for it. Re-read the whole run courtesy of Hachette a few years back and while it does not quite live up to my teenage memories, it is still a good read. At times gruesome, it veers between sentimental and cynical, the way only W&G can. 

Rogue Judge

Nostalgia has a way of making some things better or others worse. Either re-reading through rose coloured glasses or unmet expectations.

I'll be coming into this fresh...so hoping for the best!

Dash Decent

That cover looks so good it makes me want to see a full colour edition.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll