Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grugz

DEADPOOL...

not a fan of the comic but the film arsom!
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Keef Monkey

Gone Girl, not sure why it took me so long to get round to this one as usually Fincher or Reznor's name on something makes it an immediate watch for me! Thought it was great, I really didn't know what to expect from moment to moment and my wife (who had already read the book) said she very much enjoyed seeing me react to the shocks. Another fantastic Reznor score as well, never obtrusive unless it needs to be, but always bubbling away perfectly. The couple of musical 'set-piece' moments were really well executed.

And then we watched Big Trouble In Little China, which I'd seen many, many times as a kid and she'd only half-watched once a few years ago. We had a total riot, laughing throughout and brimming with excitement. It's such an amazingly fun movie and hasn't lost any of its mad charm. Kurt Russell is incredible in it (seriously amazing how many truly, truly iconic performances he pulled off under Carpenter), and I think I'd forgotten the impact Kim Cattrall in it had on me as a youngster but that all came flooding back.

Amazing.

Radbacker

The Brothers Grimsby - what a laugh riot, sorry but I do like my humour on the crude side (Mr Cohen generally does it for me) and this didn't disappoint the Elephant scene alone is as good as any Ali-g or Borat stuff and maybe even tops Ace Ventura 2's rhino scene, once they were in there I thought oh yeah that's gross but then the scene continued to massive guffaws in my house and sounds of retching, classic.

CU Radbacker

Grugz

dunno about rhinos and elephants but since watching deadpool I cant look a unicorn in the eye again...
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Goaty

Worth it to watch Odd Thomas on Film4 now!

futureimperfect

Brazil

Terry Gilliams surreal film about bureaucracy gone mad. Brilliant performances from it's enormous cast of stars. I don't like the overuse of the word 'Kafkaesque' but I think it is a pretty good way to sum up the film. Oh and the line "care for a little necrophilia" always makes me smile. That and how much the world feels like its getting ever closer to becoming the one shown in the film. I know Gilliam is one of those love it or hate it directors but if any young 'uns haven't seen this already, I can't recommend it enough.

TordelBack

Legend of Tarzan. Really quite surprisingly good!  Skarsgard is a bit of a charisma void, but does animalistic well, Jackson is as ever just Jackson, but the rest of the cast are stellar: Robbie in particular visibly emits light. It's a movie that commendably embraces silliness and fantasy, but still takes its central romance and heavy-handed anti-colonial message seriously. There are bits where you can actually see script conferences and reshoots taking place ('we need more Sam Jackson'), there is some grimly anachronistic dialogue, and they don't seem to have any confidence in their Tarzan swinging through the trees because it's almost impossible to see, but it has clear heart and purpose, solid CGI (mostly), and I think they nail a certain version of Tarzan that is pleasingly close to Burroughs'. Yeah, I really liked this film, and I honestly didn't expect to. If you liked John Carter, you'll probably like this quite a bit  (not words the studio wants to hear, I imagine).

von Boom

Quote from: Tordelback on 10 July, 2016, 01:59:27 AM
Legend of Tarzan. Really quite surprisingly good!  Skarsgard is a bit of a charisma void, but does animalistic well, Jackson is as ever just Jackson, but the rest of the cast are stellar: Robbie in particular visibly emits light. It's a movie that commendably embraces silliness and fantasy, but still takes its central romance and heavy-handed anti-colonial message seriously. There are bits where you can actually see script conferences and reshoots taking place ('we need more Sam Jackson'), there is some grimly anachronistic dialogue, and they don't seem to have any confidence in their Tarzan swinging through the trees because it's almost impossible to see, but it has clear heart and purpose, solid CGI (mostly), and I think they nail a certain version of Tarzan that is pleasingly close to Burroughs'. Yeah, I really liked this film, and I honestly didn't expect to. If you liked John Carter, you'll probably like this quite a bit  (not words the studio wants to hear, I imagine).

I completely agree. I saw this last weekend and thought they handled Tarzan much better than they handled John Carter overall. I'd like to see another one.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Aliens

followed by

Pixels

followed by the first 90 minutes of the super-extended cut of

Avatar (or "Avatat", as Mrs X describes it)

What can I say? It's been a rainy weekend in Scotland and we don't like tennis.
Lock up your spoons!

NapalmKev

V/H/S Viral - my least favourite of the trilogy! Two of stories are ok, which are the [spoiler]Skateboarding story[/spoiler] and the [spoiler]dimension swapping magic door[/spoiler]. The story with the magician was the weakest of the three, Not because of the plot but the fantastic array of camera angles really takes you out of the "found-footage" look that the films go for!

If you've seen the first two then give it a go! Just dont go expecting a rich, rewarding film experience!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Apestrife

Goodfellas. Been 10 y. since last time I saw it.

Really really like it. Ray plays his character's anger beautifully, he looks really ashamed/hurt each time he's angry. Like when he beats up the guy who tried to force himself on his girlfriend. He's far from cool doing it, really looks as if something happend inside of him.

Another thing I picked up this time watching it was how comic booky it felt. In a good way. At times it felt as if the camera was the eye of a comic book artist, moving across his/her's page, and then drawing as things happened on the screen. The camera sort of activated what happend in the scenes. Someone saying something, something happening.

Another plus is that I wanted to to to watch The Godfather (p.1, p.2) and Once upon a time in America after it. Which I didn't (there's only that many hours I'm awake per day). But I'll definitely watch them soon enough. 

Keef Monkey

We watched the remake of Total Recall last night, and if I'm honest enjoyed it a lot more than expected. That's not to say it was great, but as a bit of throwaway sci-fi action escapism on a hungover Sunday it was a decent enough couple of hours. Very forgettable, particularly as when it finished and we switched back to TV Dredd was on and reminded us what a really great movie is like.

One thing about TR - the use of lens flare is insane. It's so over the top and ridiculous that once you notice it it's hard to see anything else. I'm usually fine with it, it can look very stylish but it's overused to quite unintentionally comedic effect here.

Mardroid

Yeah, I was in no rush to watch the remake of Total Recall. Mainly because I really like the original and I'm of the belief only be films should be remade.

I did like some of the production stuff though, like the Blade runner style spinner flying cars and the white storm-trooperesque armour.

Then a friend bought me the DVD for birthday or Christmas, so I figured I might as well watch it.

It was actually enjoyable enough, although I've already forgotten a lot of it, apart from the storyline shared with the original.

Goaty

X-Men: Days of Future Past is now on Netflix

Colin YNWA

Well I've gone and done it and I'll regret it at my leisure BUT I bought the kids the prequel trilogy and they're busy watching Phantom Menace... I'm cooking tea mind...