Main Menu

Small Press

Started by Pauul, 28 June, 2011, 03:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pauul

Over the past year I've been writing more and more comic scripts, in the hopes of breaking into the industry and in doing so I've grown to appreciate that there is a lot out there beyond the mainstream publishers.

The best small press magazine I've found is FutureQuake, but unfortunately they're no longer accepting submissions.

I was wondering if there was anyone more knowledgable out there who could tell me about other small press and indie press magazines, and which ones actually still accept submissions (scripts and completed strips)?

locustsofdeath!

Search the creative common. There's a huge thread jam-packed with all sorts of the info you're looking for.

Emperor

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 28 June, 2011, 04:07:29 PM
Search the creative common. There's a huge thread jam-packed with all sorts of the info you're looking for.

Probably this one:
www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,26022.0.html

It discusses a range of publishers but does move on to the small press later:

www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,26022.msg449347.html#msg449347
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Danbell

'Faster then Light' anthology by Orangutan-Tang comics might be worth a look.

Dan

DrJomster

Take a look at http://smallpressbigmouth.blogspot.com/ for some pretty amazing coverage of the small press world. They do a rather nice podcast too!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Richmond Clements

QuoteThe best small press magazine I've found is FutureQuake,

It's true...

Quotebut unfortunately they're no longer accepting submissions.

For now! They'll be open again eventually- but if you so desire, you can still submit stuff for Dogbreath.

strontium_dog_90

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 29 June, 2011, 10:34:01 AM
QuoteThe best small press magazine I've found is FutureQuake,

It's true...

Quotebut unfortunately they're no longer accepting submissions.

For now! They'll be open again eventually- but if you so desire, you can still submit stuff for Dogbreath.

I'd certainly recommend that to anyone that enjoys writing scripts on the small press scene - writing stuff for and getting feedback back from the Dogbreath guys has been some of the most fun I've had in writing so far :-)

Richmond Clements

Pauul

I'm ashamed to say that I don't know much about Strontium Dog.

Johnny Alpha seems like an excellent character and from what I've heard, Dogbreath seems like a great publication but I wouldn't dare dream of submitting a script until I've at least done some research.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Pauul on 29 June, 2011, 08:17:09 PM
I'm ashamed to say that I don't know much about Strontium Dog.

Johnny Alpha seems like an excellent character and from what I've heard, Dogbreath seems like a great publication but I wouldn't dare dream of submitting a script until I've at least done some research.

Fair enough!
Really though, you should read Strontium Dog- it is some brilliant comics!

Bolt-01

And don't forget Zarjaz is still open to subs too. We may be horrendously slow at getting back to folks these days but we will get there eventually.

Pauul

What kind of strips are you looking for at Zarjaz (and Dogbreath, too)?

Content, length etc?

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Pauul on 30 June, 2011, 10:31:44 PM
What kind of strips are you looking for at Zarjaz (and Dogbreath, too)?

Content, length etc?

Pretty much anything goes- as long as it is good.
Nemesis the Warlock and associated characters are out of bounds, but the rest are fair game. (Apart from the others that people are about to pop up and point out are creator owned, of course)

Chris Fain

Do you guys at Dogbreath, and Zarjaz, also want to see a synopsis? Or will the script suffice?

Richmond Clements