Main Menu

Recent posts

General / Re: Forthcoming Thrills - 2024
Last post by Leigh S - 17 May, 2024, 01:15:46 PM
Presumably this is another collected Eagle comics?  Was any of the art reworked for it (and if so, by whom?)
Books & Comics / Re: Recommended Comic shops th...
Last post by sheridan - 17 May, 2024, 12:58:18 PM
We probably need to know who your current comic shop is, to avoid us recommending it back to you.
General / Re: Forthcoming Thrills - 2024
Last post by Dash Decent - 17 May, 2024, 12:41:16 PM
Quote from: Lorenzo on 15 May, 2024, 10:14:26 PMI think I'll stick with the B&W, those colours are pretty... meh.

This.  I was really looking forward to this, but seeing all the bright purple and red, and single colour frames, etc, I'll give it a miss.
News / Re: The Great Dante Readthroug...
Last post by Barrington Boots - 17 May, 2024, 10:18:47 AM
Such cynicism for a classic jungle canyon rope bridge scene!
Love this episode. Skar ridiculously shouting his name like a pokemon. Guys fighting each other on giant prehistoric monsters. Arkady super slimy. That great flashback, and that great reveal - and Edie's reaction to it.

As Colin says, this Podcast is pure joy to listen to. Looking forward to Lawless!
Books & Comics / Recommended Comic shops that d...
Last post by Large48 - 17 May, 2024, 10:08:17 AM
Hi there,

After having numerous problems with my current comic shop for regular orders I need to find a new decent one that will actually get what I ask for and then deliver them all at a cheap price..... (Don't want much really!  :D )

So any recommendations for a UK one?

Cheers
Books & Comics / Re: Completely Self-absorbed T...
Last post by Colin YNWA - 17 May, 2024, 09:54:20 AM
Quote from: JohnW on 17 May, 2024, 09:30:09 AMIf King David disappoints then I'll run away and never speak to you again.

Ha! All I can say at this point is it looks amazing.
Events / Re: Lawless 2024
Last post by Trooper McFad - 17 May, 2024, 09:34:23 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 17 May, 2024, 09:08:38 AM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 15 May, 2024, 09:12:12 AM
Quote from: Trooper McFad on 15 May, 2024, 08:40:42 AMBoots defo meet up for a drink after the VIP thing

Definitely! You can tell us all about hobnobbing with the big names

Yeah we can live vicariously through you!
I'm sure there's a NDA that comes with the tickets 😂😂😂😂

If I'm not too star struck and remember the conversations I'll spill the beans 😉
Last post by JohnW - 17 May, 2024, 09:30:09 AM
If King David disappoints then I'll run away and never speak to you again.
Events / Re: Lawless 2024
Last post by Colin YNWA - 17 May, 2024, 09:08:38 AM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 15 May, 2024, 09:12:12 AM
Quote from: Trooper McFad on 15 May, 2024, 08:40:42 AMBoots defo meet up for a drink after the VIP thing

Definitely! You can tell us all about hobnobbing with the big names

Yeah we can live vicariously through you!
Last post by Colin YNWA - 17 May, 2024, 09:06:50 AM
Completely self-absorbed update

So the re-read of Power Pack has started - I covered the comics in Entry 87 and man its fun already. I'd forgotten how much the first story in issues 1-4 reads like an 80s kids/teen movies like ET, The Expolorers or even The Goonies. Its paced and plotted in such a similar way. With events leading our characters deeper and deeper into adventure and discovery as the story progresses. Yet the relationships between the young leads really being the driver and the events used to explore those relationships and their relationship to the danager and excitment they are thrown into with any of the presumption or fixed world view of the adults.

I do get the sense these first four issues were written as a self-contained 4 issue mini (4 issues being very much the vogue at the time). I've no idea if that was the case, but it defo reads like it. That adds to the sense this is a movie plot presented so brillantly in comic form! I get why they made an apparently terrible film way back when!

Seriously if folks like ET we should be handing them these comics!

On another note I've also delved further in Kyle Baker's works following conversation here and found a couple of really cheap bundles of his work so I've picked up:

I die at midnight
Alice through the looking glass
You are here
King David

as well as nicer editions (the originals I believe) of both Why I hate Saturn and The Cowboy Wally Show. I'm unlikely to get these read before this countdown ends (such is the monstrousity of my too read spreadsheet and I can't keep giving things bumps up that list!) but man oh man they all look incredible.