Main Menu

Dave Evans, R.I.P.

Started by Mike Carroll, 07 May, 2021, 11:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

If theres any way I can make a meet-up in his honour, be it online or irl, I'll do my best to be there xx

Simon Fraser

I'd just like to add my voice to the chorus here. Dave was one of those people who set the tone for 2000ad fandom and made it such a pleasure to be part of . He will be sorely missed. My condolences to his friends and family.

Simon.

HdE

I've had one of those days where I stayed up way too late working on things last night and got up very late in the day. News of Dave's passing is the first thing I've seen online.

Won't lie. I've had to take time away from the computer to process. I met Dave in person once, at the ICE convention in Birmingham, and he was the kind of guy you instantly warmed to. An absolute gent. Unfailingly supportive. And really funny, too.

My thoughts go out to his family. What an incalculably sad loss.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Kev Levell

That's the worst news.

Spent a few cons happily chatting to Dave and Richmond when I was doing the circuit trying to get work...

My thoughts are with those that loved him most (and that includes you too Rich).

Sh*t, don't know how to process this.

Trooper McFad

Apart from reading his comments on this board which I always respected I never had the pleasure of making his acquaintance. With all the kind words from those who actually knew him I definitely missed out.

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends at this time.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

CrazyFoxMachine

Hi again everyone.

The outpouring of overwhelming nice words about Bolt both here and over the socials is the one positive thing to have happened in the last 24 hours - I don't have many words to add but I wanted to come back here, where we likely first met, and say that without his boundless support, guidance and patience I wouldn't be doing what I love for a job or be half the person I might be and many hundreds of fledgling comic folks wouldn't be either. I wouldn't be surrounded by kind and creative people. I wouldn't have had anyone to talk to when that horrible news came yesterday. But I did and I do and I owe it to him and I was lucky enough to drunkenly (and soberly) tell him how much he meant to me many times so I think he had an inkling.

If you've people in your lives who sound like they've done that for you then please let them know too, sooner rather than later. None of you are islands, reach out if you feel you can and forgive yourselves always, for everything. <3

Ghastly McNasty

I remember visiting the Bristol Comic Con several years ago as a total con noobie and wandering round too shy to really talk to anyone but enjoying the atmosphere all the same. I eventually approached the FutureQuake table as I'd had a script recently accepted so considered that an 'in' to talk to Dave. He was welcoming, friendly and super enthusiastic about all things indie comics. He helped to cement my daft ideas that making comics was the way.

Someone on Twitter wrote "he was a Kenobi to many Lukes". I'd consider myself one of them. Thank you, Dave.

TordelBack

Simply unbelievable news. Bolt was a treasure of an online correspondent, always enthusiastic, supportive and endlessly giving in all the years we've shared a virtual space. 

My heart breaks for his family and for his friends, and for those here who loved him.

Dandontdare

I'm devastated.

I met Dave and Richmond at the first con I ever attended, Hi-Ex in 2010. Until then I'd never done the cons because I didn't know anyone and was too shy to just introduce myself, but after joining this board I made so many friends who I was glad to discover were even better company over a few beers in the post-con bar, and none more so than Dave, who was just the friendliest and most positive guy.

Over the years the FutureQuake table was always the focal point of any con, the place I'd keep looping back to to see who Dave was chatting to now. I saw him introduce so many shy newbies to other fans (oh so YOU'RE *name* on the forum) and blow their minds when John Wagner or Al Ewing would pop by. I always waited for cons to stock up on my 'zines from Dave, and have quite a collection of his mini-sketches - I always loved his avuncular 'Uncle' Tharg.

We were delighted to discover that decades earlier when we were both in our teens, Dave probably sold me comics when I would get the train into Manchester to visit Odyssey 7. I never worked with him because I'm not much of a creator, but sadly I did start work on my first decentish idea for a Dredd script and was looking forward to discussing it with him at Thought Bubble. Won't be opening that file for a while.

The last time I saw Dave IRL was at the last Thought Bubble in Harrogate. Izzy had dashed off excitedly to dance with (well, in the proximity of) Kieron Gillen, and Dave was doing what he loved best, chatting about comics and more with a beer and a bunch of friends. It was a grand night, and we vowed to do it again at the next one, but we never will.

He was the best of us, I can't imagine what his lovely family must be going through. RIP Bolt.

Tiplodocus

Yeah, that was a great night.

Here's a tiny touch of his nurturing genius: I'd written a Judge Dredd/Numbskulls mash-up and Dave kindly did the character designs and drew it. I was so chuffed when he showed me that Dredd's eyes were little Mechanismo units. Hadn't even occurred to me and instantly gave me the idea for the first strip.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

One of the crowning memories of Dave I will always cherish is the Thought Bubble Saturday night we all came together to watch the rough draft of SEARCH/DESTROY. Dave had made no secret through a few sly smiles and off hand comments he was involved in some way, we would just have to wait and see how and in what way.

The collective cheers and laughs of delight when a great big paper cut out of Daves mug came hurtling towards the camera by way of Kid Knees...knee, was one of the highlights of that years Thought Bubble. Truly a joy to be there among so much good energy.

Tweak72

+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

David Broughton

I was shocked and saddened to hear that Dave Evan's who was my friend, and who I am proud to say was my 'first Editor' has passed away.  My thoughts are with his family. I miss you already my friend R.I.P.

Heath C Ackley

My God, I'm gutted by this terrible news. I never met Dave, only communicated with him via forum message and email, but it was clear that he had a love of 2000ad and the small press. My condolences to his family. I'm sure he will be sadly missed by all of us.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

JOE SOAP

Of the few times I met him in person he was the most affable and friendliest of people – simply a good decent soul.

A huge loss for 2000AD and fandom, a tragic loss for his family.

Thanks Dave, for everything you did to make 2000AD, in all its influence, a richer experience.