Main Menu

Meg 218

Started by WoD, 05 April, 2004, 07:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoD

Just two quickies;

I'd like to know how early Mr Rennie starts to write and if he writes too fast how much dies he spill?

Secondly; My sub seems to have just one cover varient; is this right or am I missing something?

Trout

Meg? Meg?

I have no Meg!

Postieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

- Trout

DavidXBrunt

Wrong thread yer brininess. That should be on the 'Great Aiieees! of our time' thread surely?

Mine's not come either.

WoD

Yeah, but maybe you'll get the two covers when it does arrive.

Quirkafleeg

Mine's got two covers...

Not had time to read it yet but it looks a good 'un

WoD

thanks Gary; I'll give the subs dept a call.

Mr D

Mine has two covers. Here's my thought Pt 1:

Dreddlines:
Gerald Bostock's letter is all the points already discussed, and I hope it doesn't al lstart again. Third or fourth time I've read you say that Cookie had a Whizzer and Chips style look to it. It still doesn't stand up as a point to me. It's such a critical argument, that's what gets me. Yes, I'd like a more adult Dredd story, similar to The Killing Joke or something, but at the same time I LOVED the Cookie story. The two things aren't mutually exclusive Gerald, come on.
Floyd - Woo! And is Matt the Matt I hink it is? Woo! Well I have to say, my final thoughts on the Satanus fiasco are that if it WAS a warning shot to other writers, I don't think it should have been in the comic. I don't want to read stories where the sole purpose is for the writers to snipe at each other. GRR Mr Mills. Now make Savage GOOD. No messing around.

Dredd - YEAH! WOO! Nice. Enjoyed this a lot, and pretty great artwork too. It could develop well, and I'd love it if it tied in with the Dredd in the prog, but I know it won't. Still, looking forward to next week.

Young Middenface - Great stuff! Though it's yet ANOTHER 'village with a secret' thing. Although I love this, creepy villages were perfected in 'In The Mouth Of Madness' so maybe fresh ideas would be a plus?

I shall return...

WoD

A quick comment on the Dredd art; It reminds me of the transfer scenes that you used to get on the side of breakfast cereals; a photo-esque background on which you could add your own transfers to make a picture.  I'm not adverse to computer art, but it does seem a bit 'obvious' at times at the start of this story.

Matt

"And is Matt the Matt I hink it is? Woo! Well I have to say, my final thoughts on the Satanus fiasco are that if it WAS a warning shot to other writers, I don't think it should have been in the comic. I don't want to read stories where the sole purpose is for the writers to snipe at each other."

Cool, sounds as though I got my letter printed then. That's 3 out of 3 so far. Maybe I'll start giving Floyd a run for his money!

W. R. Logan

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/megazine/mediumres/218.jpg> http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/scans/mediumres/meg218.jpg>

Got my subscription copy and only have one cover.

Henry's covers are great and make you wonder why he isn?t chained to his cube and made to work on Dredd?s scripts for 23 hours 59 minutes a day.

La Placa Rifa,
http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/>W. R. Logan.

http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/images/Co79_logo.gif>

W. R. Logan

RadWagons Ho!

La Placa Rifa,
http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/>W. R. Logan.

http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/images/Co79_logo.gif>

Mr D

Ok, finally had a chance to finish it:

Mean Machine - First things first: I think MM has been done to death. He should be released and left to rn around in the Cursed Earth, brought back every few years or so for a minor appearance because he is STILL quite fun. But I'm not sure about another strip. Although it's enjoyable, I expect it'll go the same way as... well, all the other MM strips. No, I exagerate, but we have seen this before: Mean is cured, Mean is released/trusted, Mean isn't actually cured, goes up to 4 on some poor sucker, then Dredd or somebody catches him. This is looking like following a similar pattern, with the added spice of Mean's marriage. Though that isn't the first time there's been a Mean marriage thing. Hm, like Young Middenface, good enough, but the ideas strike me as unoriginal.

Whatever Happened To... Conrad Conn - For it's flaws, I enjoyed this. It was predictable enough, but the story really made me smile at times, and feel a bit sad for the poor guy at others. The writing was spot on, and it was really fun. The flaws I mentioned are mainly courtesy of the artwork. Really not my thing. It might have been improved in colour, but in B+W it didn't work for me I'm afraid. Some highlights, but mostly not as good as I'd hope.

Black Siddha - I've been reading 2000AD for around a year now. In that time, I've read a LOT of progs, both past and present. This is the first time I've switched off while reading one. It completely failed to grab me, made me feel sleepy, and had a grand total of 1 moment I'd consider decent. It's just not my bag baby. Maybe others will enjoy it, but for me it just didn't work, on any level really. Savage had better be drokkin good...

Charley's War - Ok, it's good. I enjoyed this, but I can't help feeling that it's just the same old thing. I GET IT!! ENOUGH!! Eesh. I do enjoy it though, it's just I find it hard to summon the strength to plough through ANOTHER episode, just to eventually go 'Huh, that was awfully similar to last week'. War is bad. Bad things happen. I get it. I knew it before I read this strip to be perfectly frank. And this often coats reality with a certain sweetness that's a bit cliched. In reality, Ginger at al would have been killed. Sorry, but they would have been. Maybe it's time the reprints changed...?

Hell Trekkers - For some obscure reason, I've read one episode of this, and it was enough to make me curious... I have to say I really enjoyed this (would be glad to see it replace CW and have Dredd alongside it) aand I'm looking forward to more. What I read was nice and harsh, with cool tragic parts, while being a lot of fun. I hope it's mostly like this. Plus, this part has an abundance of dinosaurs. This makes anything brilliant.

Grennie's Column - Yet another chuckle-filled read. I look forward to this each month, because I know I'm going to laugh out loud at least once. But Gordon - mentioning Johnny and Wulf as examples AGAIN? Surely you've learnt by now!!

Meg Dredd - Well, thanks to Bolt-01 I've already read this! But it is nice to have it in glorious colour, and I hope it's a monthly thing. They aren't utterly mindblowing, but they're nice light entertainment.

Hm, I've said more than I expected....

More food I need. So long

thrillpowerseeker

I f you thought the Mean was unoriginal youd be right..its been lifted straight out of A Clockwork Orange...the whole modified behaviour thing that Alex gets in the Brodsky Centre

I was also disappointed by the return of one my favourite charcters...Middenface...turns out its another tweak on the Legend of Brigadoon (albeit with a cannibal twist)

I hope Black Siddha gets going too..thought the 1st episode was a big slow paced...

On the whole i thought 218 was a bit of a letdown...the Art was fantastic in all of the strips but the stories were weak...C'mon you script Droids  give the pencil necks something to work on

5/10

Mr D

I don't think Mean is a straight 'Clockwork' lift, though there are similarities. It's the same principle though. And similar to when they tried hypnotherapy on him etc.

And despite my Black Siddah bashing, the last two pages were ok. It doesn't make up for the rest though.

thrillpowerseeker

Wagners skillfully moulded it with a megacitiness but the premise of the story remains...Doctor seeking recognition and fame seeks high profile 'bad guy' with which to test revolutionary 'new treatment' that modifies violent impulses at the onset.

That was the whole point of Burgess' book and the whole point of Wagners story. The rest is just window dressing for their respective worlds