General Chat > Books & Comics

Whats everyone reading?

<< < (1413/1413)

pictsy:
Warriors of Mars/City of Beasts by Michael Morcock

Overall I found it to be silly fun.  I really liked thinking of it as a story told by an unreliable narrator and wondering which parts Michael Kane was exaggerating and where the half truths lay.  This mindset made me giggle when I got to the epilogue.  It will be fantastic if, in the next book, Kane's self-aggrandising catches up with him.  I don't see that happening.  What I expect to be reading is more sword swinging adventures.

pictsy:
I finished off Morcocks Kane of Old Mars trilogy.  Peculiar.  It kind of just meanders around the place.  The books were light reading, but I'm not going to say they are good or particularly entertaining.  The charm wore off quick enough and the narrative structure was so fractured and aimless that I wasn't disappointed when I was done.  I'm not expecting much at this stage so I'm happy to move on to the Multiverse trilogy next.

RookieNerd:
Revenge of the Sith by Matthew Stovers

Which added depth to the story and characters that the movie so lacked.

Barrington Boots:
I really dig those Morcock books!

I like an easy read on my commute and I'm reading book 2 of the Dresden Files, which came highly recommended by a few people and by Crom it is terrible. It's marginally better than book 1 but still suffers from uninspiring characters, boring writing and a protagonist who is whiny, sexist, down-on-his-luck yet supposedly insufferably cool and to boot a pretty useless detective. 

I bought a five book set of these in a sale and I'm not sure I can face the other three.

pictsy:
I finished The Sundered Worlds/The Blood Red Games and The Fireclown/The Winds of Limbo by Morcock.  An improvement, I have to say.  I have no idea why these books are listed on wikipedia as part of a trilogy as I see no connection between them.  The Fireclown is the best of the bunch so far, but there's no mention of the multiverse.  Unless these get referenced in later books and the grouping is retroactive. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version