Main Menu

Write to Ron Smith

Started by longmanshort, 14 May, 2009, 08:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

Judge Dredd.Otto Sump. Fatties.Satanus.Need I say more?

Quality defined in my juvenile mind by simply georgeous pages by your good self, Ron. I always loved your use of perception and the energy in your work is still something to behold.

You're a true great.

Thanks.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

IndigoPrime

My first real getting into Dredd was largely on reprint Ron Smith stories in 2000 AD monthly, and his art perfectly captured Dredd and the various crazies populating the city. Like Jim, I think Smith was sold short towards the end of his 2000 AD run (see also: Massimo Belardinelli). To that end, it would be fantastic if he was willing and Matt concurred to at least give the great artist a 'star scan' in Prog 2009. (That or a one-off six-page Wagner-penned Dredd, as Jim said.)

So, Ron: you were one of the best. Hell, I've got back issues sitting around everywhere—you still are one of the best! Enjoy you retirement, sir.

Hanky

Dear Ron,

You really are one of the true greats in my mind and my number one Judge Dredd artist. Ever. The moment in 'Shanty Town' where the Judges stand atop the beaten gang members really stands out as a seminal panel in Dredd history. Your contribution to 2000AD alone is immeasurable and i just wish id been around when the original issues came out.

Congratulations on your retirement and all the best.

Daniel Hankinson.

Trout

Ron, your kinetic, detailed, style of sharp, textured art was a big part of the comics which were such an influence on my childhood and early adulthood. Your depiction of Kleggs in an early chapter of The Day The Law Died remains my favourite scene they've ever been in, and your depiction of Judge Dredd has a physicality that many younger artists would do well to emulate.

Even now, whenever I look through an old annual in a charity shop, the only thing I'm looking for is Ron Smith art. It's instantly recognisable, be it Judge Dredd or Red Star Robinson.

For years, my username on this website and others has been King Trout - inspired by a gentle, respectful pastiche of King Cobra, who is another great character forever linked with Ron Smith.

I hope you're having a wonderful time in retirement, but I can't help but wish you'd come back and draw Dredd for us again, even one last time. We miss you.

- Mike Donachie, Dundee

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "DavidXBrunt"Big guns. Bigger dinosaurs. David Bellamy. Great stuff. I pored over that issue for hours. The detail, the depth, the humour was perfect. I've been a fan ever since. In two decades I haven't seen a single story drawn by you. There's a warmth to them that is often lacking in sci-fi art and a real sense of place that convinces.

Er, did you mean to say '...that I didn't like?'

Anyway -

Ron - I've only come to your work recently, via reprints, but the level of detail you brought to Dredd's world is still something to behold. What impresses most is the sense of conviction behind the drawings, an enthusiasm and professionalness that never seems to waver even when you were burdened with some fairly lacklustre scripts. Your panel design is quite often breathtaking - Father Earth's plant army, Dredd battling giant spiders on a talking mule and Captain Skank nuking cityblocks are all stunning pieces of draughtmanship, but remain endearing and fun because of a cheeky sort of humour behind it all.

I seem to recall your time at 2000AD ultimately didn't end well, but I hope you know that your legacy very much lives on, and that you realise in what high regard your art continues to be held by Dredd fans.
@jamesfeistdraws

Kerrin

Dear Ron,

Thanks for all of your wonderful work. I loved it when I was a kid and I still love it now.

Wishing you a long and enjoyable retirement.

Kerrin.

ukdane

Otto Sump,
Citizen Snork,
League of Fatties,
Marlon Shakespeare

Iconic figures of Megacity-One.

Ron Smith, a droid with a distinct style- which is instantly recognisable as his own.
Has it really been nearly 15 years since your work last graced the pages of 2000ad?

How about one final fling?

Cheers

-Daney

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Like some others here I too am only aware of your work through reprints but I wish to echo the words of everyone else has said. There not enough superlatives to describe your work and what it means to us. You, in my eyes, gave MC1 substance along with it's people. You were a gift to 2000ad.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Ron Smith you pencilled and inked two of my fave early strips' Lawmaster on the loose' and 'The Exo-Men ' and your further tour's of duty in 2000A.D are second to none. Have you ever considered a return to the fabled shimmering shores of Tharg's inner sanctum?

We salute you!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

vzzbux

Dear Ron

To me you are the face of Dredd. When I first started reading 2000ad you were the main artist for Dredd and illustrated such classics as The Graveyard shift and Bob Carol Ted and Ringo, and not to mention the Daily Star strips. In my eyes you are sorely missed on the pages of 2000ad.

Rob Nicholls
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

DavidXBrunt

Heh yeah, I typed that out and lost a bit. It should have said "that I didn't like".

dweezil2

Dear Ron,
You even made those later episodes of Rogue Trooper worth reading! Please get back to the Prog and draw some more Dredd soon!
Loved your work ever since it has graced 2000ad's pages.
All the best.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Large48

Ron,

Still THE best Dredd artist ever bar NONE!!!! - haters can poke off.

Again another fan that noticed King Cobra on an old cover and bought it to make sure I wasn't imagining it.

One last (or the start of a lot more!) one off with a lack of time constraints.

I've managed over the years to be able to get some of your original artwork and feel very lucky to be able to preserve it for future viewing etc.

Many thanks for all the enjoyment over the years.

:D
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

mogzilla

Nothing i can say can be any different to what all the others feel except ,sir,you are  responsible for encouraging grown men to read comics.......and we thank you for that.
  You gave mega city one that bizzare nutty but believable feel and who else could have done all those daily star strips but you?

cheers pal.

paul.

The Legendary Shark

Heartfelt thanks, Mr Smith.

Encore!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]