Main Menu

2000AD May/June Art Compo: Justice Dept Hardware In Action

Started by Jim_Campbell, 15 May, 2009, 09:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Quote from: "Gibson Quarter"Excellent work Grimm.

Any time you can work in a 'PUTCHOW!' and 'Spatta!' into an entry, I think you should automatically win.  ;)

And it is a lovely PUTCHOW too.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

mygrimmbrother

You are too kind, good sirs! Some dodgy shading here and there which I didn't notice unitl I uploaded it again - to cut a long story short, my mac has photoshop but not the internet, while my pc is the other way round, so I colour them on one then have to transfer it to the other, and the images never look the same! If I get time, I'll sort it and re-submit.

Now, where in Grud's name are those Manta tanks?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "mygrimmbrother"My third effort.

A quick suggestion about the lettering, since 'tis something of my forte these days.

Simply changing your dialogue font for a dedicated comic lettering font will change the appearance of the artwork more than you imagine ... Anime Ace 2, Smack Attack and Webletterer are all available as free* downloads from Blambot -- give one a go and hopefully you'll see what I mean.

Although I'm not that keen on the overall appearance of Anime Ace, I should mention that out of the three I listed, it's the only one with Regular, Italic and BoldItalic versions, the others just have Regular and BoldItalic.

Bloody lovely SFX, though!

Cheers

Jim

* Free for non-commercial projects, I should add.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "Jim_Campbell"A quick suggestion about the lettering

Bugger. Too slow on the edit. Hopefully, this might illustrate my point.

(I haven't posted the image itself, since I don't want to steal your thunder from what is a cracking entry!)

Cheers

Jim

Pete Wells

BRILLIANT! Thanks Jim, I spent ages looking for a free comic-esque font and at times (Pete ducks under table) resorted to c*m*cs*ns - don't hate me! I'll definately be using these from now on!

Great entries by the way Jim, Grimm and Supersurfer!

Professor Bear

Any recommendations for a good lower-case comics lettering font, Jim?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "Professah Byah"Any recommendations for a good lower-case comics lettering font, Jim?

We're using Tim Sale Lower on the book I'm doing at the moment, but obviously that one costs money.

I can't find much in the way of free fonts, although Blambot's Mighty Zeo might pass muster at a quick look.

Cheers!

Jim

mygrimmbrother

Jim, your a gentleman and a scholar, thank you very much. That re-lettered version looks SO much better. Will try to download em on me pc and somehow get em to work on me mac (if I can't, would it be possible to enter that version you tweaked as my final one? I hope I can get it to work, as there are a few things I want to change)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "mygrimmbrother"Will try to download em on me pc and somehow get em to work on me mac

The OpenType version should work on either Windows or Mac without issue and -- as I understand it -- handles auto-ligatures better than TrueType anyway.

Cheers!

Jim

Professor Bear

Ta for the recommendations, Jim.  Much appreciated.

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: "Jim_Campbell"handles auto-ligatures better than TrueType anyway.

Cheers!

Jim

I have absolutley no idea what you're on about Jim, but you're a very nice man, that's for sure. Will now attempt to use those free fonts and consign comic f%$king sans to oblivion!

Toodle pip!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "mygrimmbrother"I have absolutley no idea what you're on about Jim

Ligatures are variant characters that a font displays when certain characters are displayed next to each other.

Some clever person figured out that with a comic lettering font, you can use ligatures to automatically display two slightly different Os when you type LOOK or Ls when you type KILLED, which stops the text from looking too mechanical.

Cheers!

Jim

TordelBack

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "TordelBack"The Return of the Inspectre!  Yay!

I can't tell you what a weird, but unexpectedly thrilling, thing it was when Frazer Irving bunged him into an episode of Simping Detective in the Meg a while back. It made me think about the character for the first time in years, and probably prompted this pic!

Cheers

Jim

mygrimmbrother

OK, try again. Now with corrections and added anime ace!