Main Menu

Sherlock Holmes new 1st Trailer...

Started by Goaty, 19 May, 2009, 08:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kev Levell

Does it strike anyone else that they got the casting of this arse-about face?
Jude Law surely is cut of more convincing Holmes size, shape and general demeanour whilst Robert Downey Jr would have been perfect for Watson. Oh well!

Dunk!

Enjoyed that, though can't say it's on my list of films to catch in the cinema.
"Trust we"

Bouwel

Looks interesting, although me not realising that the cage fight at the beginning was an advert added sauce to the trailer!

-Bouwel-
(I put it down to old age...)
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Mardroid

Ha, ha! Looks like a lot of fun. Even with Downey's slightly ridiculous accent. (The semi-posh stereotype actually fits, with Holmes character though.)

Professor Bear

Churchill: The Hollywood Years was ahead of it's time.

uncle fester

That'll be the 'faithful' biopic Guy Ritchie promised then..... Looks like harmless fun though.

Professor Bear

Not a great film, but not a terrible film either.  Its biggest failing is that it feels more like a modern take on a Sax Rohmer romp than an actual Sherlock Holmes story, but you could probably pretend it's also a sequel to Young Sherlock Holmes - an adventure about that character 'all grown up', if you will.  There are a few nice moments of dialogue, but not enough banter between the two male leads to convince you about their chummy status, and a baffling sub-plot about them 'breaking up' that's just begging for you to derive some sort of homosexual subtext, with the odd moment where they drop the 'sub' part entirely, with Holmes' undisguised hostility to Watson's lady friend, or referring to Watson himself as 'Old Cock'.

There's worse ways to kill a couple of hours, but the trailer is slightly misleading in making you expect an outright summer matinee blockbuster, as it's a little slow for that, and the fights aren't terribly exciting as much as they are loud and busy.
I'd give it a three and half out of five if pushed.

Mike Gloady

I've never enjoyed a Guy Ritchie film, but I'll confess I may have to go and see this.  Holmes fan for one and my best mate is a Robert Downey Jnr fan (I know, he's straight but given the extent of his fondness for RDjr that may just be habit) so the chances are good I'll have to go. 

It MIGHT not blow.  But the trailer doesn't give me much hope.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Colin YNWA

Looks bloody awful. Which is a shame as it has a fine cast.

There seems to be an obsession of late of placing modern styling and directing on period dramas. There was that God awful advert for a BBC 3 drama about some Byron era writers (I think the title escapes me) that was a shining example of this. It so very rarely works.

Mike Gloady

A mate of mine was in that. 

Didn't watch it as 1. The concept as you describe it, Colin, really annoyed me. and 2. He warned me that the viewer would clearly see his arse.  No brainer.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

SamuelAWilkinson

Just got back from a-viewing of it, and it's exactly like you'd imagine a Guy Richie Sherlock Holmes film to be, ie lots of shootin', fightin' and talkin' but with "you slaaag" replaced with "you caaaad". Still, enjoyable fun all round.

Also, Robert Downey Jr plays the same eccentric genius he plays in everything, so if you like that you won't be too disappointed, even if he is totally gay for Jude Law.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.