Main Menu

Total Recall movie 'to be remade'

Started by Toke_Stanley, 04 June, 2009, 09:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: "dweezil2"I love Total Recall, it's glorious over the top, pulpy fun and one of the few adaptations to capture the tone of Philip K. Dick's writing-though obviously it takes some liberties with the story.
Does it need remaking? Of course not. Just like the recent news of an Alien prequel, it smacks of Hollywood desperation. Besides, why not channel the money into adapting one of Dick's other novels? Christ, they'll be remaking Blade Runner next!

My thoughts exacty, but I go further than simply saying why do this

Why not get some good writers, with some good ideas to sit down and create something original that plays to the specific strenght of a movie as an art form instead of trying to cram stories designed or created for other media and hacking at it until you can make a film out of it. I assume because of the staggering costs of making alot of film producers are afraid of making anything without a built in audience attached to it.

Buddy

Quote from: "Colin_YNWA"
Quote from: "dweezil2"I love Total Recall, it's glorious over the top, pulpy fun and one of the few adaptations to capture the tone of Philip K. Dick's writing-though obviously it takes some liberties with the story.
Does it need remaking? Of course not. Just like the recent news of an Alien prequel, it smacks of Hollywood desperation. Besides, why not channel the money into adapting one of Dick's other novels? Christ, they'll be remaking Blade Runner next!

My thoughts exacty, but I go further than simply saying why do this

Why not get some good writers, with some good ideas to sit down and create something original that plays to the specific strenght of a movie as an art form instead of trying to cram stories designed or created for other media and hacking at it until you can make a film out of it. I assume because of the staggering costs of making alot of film producers are afraid of making anything without a built in audience attached to it.

I think there are so many remakes, prequels, sequels, adaptations is that they are just easier to make... why waste time and money actually thinking up an original story when there are mounds of books, tv shows, comics and indeed other movies that already have the story bit done for you.

dweezil2

Quote from: "Proudhuff"got to disagree there,
PKD's stuff was nearly always and average Joe caught up in some madness or other, (even the Godstuff)and there was no way looking at Arnie at the time you could believe he was your average paper shuffler, As I recall ( see what I did there) the guy in the orginal story was PKD's usual whimpy pen pusher.

peace and love,peace and love (in a Ringo way)

Quaid was an average Joe in the movie, he was a builder. It was just that he was played by the hulking, acting void of Schwarzenegger. And I did say the film took liberties. It was the tone it got right.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

QuoteI think there are so many remakes, prequels, sequels, adaptations is that they are just easier to make...

Surely the point is pre-existing name/brand recognition, rather than off-the-shelf plot?  I've recently read the awesome Patrick O'Brian novels that Russell Crowe vehicle Master and Commander: The Far Side of The World is allegedly based on, and while not a bad flick in itself barely a shred of plot survives from either supposed source book.

Peter Wolf

No thank you.

Its like crossing out names of old films out on a list.

This must be the all time worst era for Hollywood film making.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

I, Cosh

OH FUCK OFF!

Also, what's Paul Verhoeven got to do with Alien?
We never really die.

Professor Bear

Peter Wolf

The remake should be called Total Recalled.

The Running Man should be remade as it wasnt very good.

Then after that they could remake the Terminator as that looks a bit dated now as well.Imagine how good the exact same script could be if it had a bigger budget ,more quoteable soundbites,etc.

Returnminator.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death