Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milstar

Quote from: CalHab on 24 March, 2021, 08:53:41 AM
Is Mos Def annoying? He was excellent in Be Kind Rewind, which is a wonderful film.

I think I'll have to see if anywhere is streaming it.

I hate his voice. It grinds my (g)ears.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

pictsy

I was just noodling about on YouTube and found this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2KX-82ityA

Was kinda surprised that he briefly mentions CGI blood being used in the industry.  This new effects software looks pretty interesting as well.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 March, 2021, 12:04:27 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 March, 2021, 10:47:54 AM
It's sort of like the Coen Brothers remade Reservoir Dogs.

Has there ever been a better one line recommendation for a film? Already added to my watch list!

And Free Fire was as much fun as would be expected. Really enjoyed it. The thing is if I'd seen that like 25 years ago or so when I was a student, or just graduated I reckon I'd have obsessed over this - its like one of those cool movies you watch when young and having fun and become transfixed by. Watched now I loved it but doubt I'll ever feel the need to watch it again.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: pictsy on 24 March, 2021, 05:41:56 PM
I was just noodling about on YouTube and found this video.

Well, that was fascinating — thanks!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

Close - a stylish action thriller in which a bodyguard (Noomi Rapace) finds herself outgunned when assassins try to take out her charge. There are a couple of thriller cliches in here but it clips along at a good pace so they're easily forgiven. Also passes the Bechdel test.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

CalHab

Quote from: Funt Solo on 25 March, 2021, 04:18:43 AM
Also passes the Bechdel test.

I was surprised to discover a couple of years ago that the Bechdel test is named for the author of Fun Home, Alison Bechdel. Comics bleeding into the "real world".

Mardroid

Quote from: I, Cosh on 17 March, 2021, 10:43:03 AM
Quote from: pictsy on 17 March, 2021, 09:40:07 AM
It's fun.  Now I have switch gears from Sci-Fi to Fantasy, my next film will be Beastmaster and it will be my first viewing.
Not seen it for years but I loved Beastmaster when I was a kid. Might even have seen it twice at the pictures. There's one quite disgusting part in which left a lasting impression on the 8 year old Cosh.

I loved Beastmaster too, and it's also been years that I've seen it. Did the scene involve [spoiler]those bird head things? [/spoiler] I found those quite disturbing at the time.

Mardroid

Quote from: milstar on 17 March, 2021, 04:09:23 PM
Now that we are in sword and sorcery, dragons and dungeons, has anybody seen Q:The Winged Serpeant by Larry Cohen?

Oh yes! I've forgotten most of it, but remember enjoying it.

Also: Wolfen.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mardroid on 26 March, 2021, 01:54:53 PM

Haven't seen that in years, so my memory may be lying to me, but I remember it being pretty good.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

pictsy

Quote from: Mardroid on 26 March, 2021, 01:50:45 PM
I loved Beastmaster too, and it's also been years that I've seen it. Did the scene involve [spoiler]those bird head things? [/spoiler] I found those quite disturbing at the time.

There are [spoiler]creatures with sort-of wings that enveloped people and (I assume) ate them.[/spoiler]  Definitely one of the few highlights. 

Mardroid

Quote from: pictsy on 26 March, 2021, 02:08:20 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 26 March, 2021, 01:50:45 PM

There are [spoiler]creatures with sort-of wings that enveloped people and (I assume) ate them.[/spoiler]  Definitely one of the few highlights.

That's them. [spoiler]When standing upright the wings look like they're wrapped in cloaks. The film leaves it up to the imagination as to how their victims are consumed as their beaks don't seem to be involved. Just a lot of movement then dropping bones. Brrrr. [/spoiler]

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 March, 2021, 02:05:26 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 26 March, 2021, 01:54:53 PM

Haven't seen that in years, so my memory may be lying to me, but I remember it being pretty good.

It's been a while since I've seen it too, and I enjoyed it. It's weird, and enjoyably so, and does a whole different thing with the werewolf* thing, and there's an [spoiler]eco message[/spoiler] in there too.

There was a bit that managed to be daft and dark at the same time, [spoiler]like the decapitation by wolf, moving eyes scene. [/spoiler]. And that classic [spoiler]"it's all in your head" scene with the Native American on the beach[/spoiler]. Heh.

* Okay, wolfen [spoiler]aren't werewolves, at least in the shape shifting sense[/spoiler], but I'm sure you get what I mean.

milstar

Wolfen is a movie with a deep profound message. But I like the novel more. Especially the ending. It can be seen as the way animals see us, predatory humans. 1981 was really fruit bearing year for werewolf movies. American Werewolf in London, The Howling, Wolfen, and again I gotta mention again Larry Cohen, with his rather kid oriented - Full Moon High. Out of all these four, my money goes to John Landis. Gotta love Griffin Dunne part!

Kalifornia

I suppose this movie should serve as a statement about the (unnatural) obsession with serial killers, ushered in a road movie, but at the end, we get a bit of the latter, and whatever the message the film carried got lost as soon as the end credits started rolling. David Duchovny in his pre-X-files venture (he does channels a bit of Fox Moulder here), plays a writer who embarks on a trip in hoping to write a book about serial killers, by visiting places where serial killers dispatched their victims. Michelle Forbes is his photographer girlfriend, who embarks with him on the trip. Along with And Brad Pitt and Juliette Lewis as backwood, hillbilly couple who join Moulder and his gf. However; unbeknownst to Moulder, Pitt's character is also a psychopathic serial killer himself and when that is discovered, things aren't going to end pretty. A good portion of the film is spent on (at least the first part) the differences between the two couples. More specifically, their background. Moulder and his gf are typical frivolous, snobbish middle-class guys, while Pitt and his gf, obviously lower, working class. This is highlighted in a scene where Juliette Lewis' character describes how her mate (Pitt) forbids her from cussing, drinking and smoking, something that Michelle Forbes' character is totally unlike. Apart from that, there is not much wisdom in the film. The plot is paper-thin, and Moulder spends a good portion of the movie completely oblivious to Pitt's slightly disturbing antics. I must single out Brad Pitt here; one of the best performances by him there is. He immersed himself in the role. But, he alone isn't enough (and the rest of the cast) isn't worth saving the movie from forgettable mediocrity.

For a good serial killer of the 1990s, Pitt's Se7en is still a masterclass.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Funt Solo

Message From The King - one of those violent revenge movies - if you can stomach the relentless darkness and brutal rage, it's very well made, and Chadwick Boseman is a great lead. Not much in the way of hope here, though.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

milstar

The DaVinci Code

Meh... I haven't seen this before, but I don't see what's all the fuss about this movie? IBecause religious groups protested against it? I see it as another mystery on the run film that never actually is interesting enough to make it worthwhile, yet you keep looking to the screen. Although I've seen perhaps a fair share of these movies, so nothing really can suprises me. The plot is preposterous and total bullshit. Tom Hanks seems to me as a rather shy and miscast for a history professor. Something that Harris on Ford made with more zeal, but Hanks never seemed much involving. Truth to be said, I was never one of his biggest fans either. Audrey Tautou seems rather nice and weirdly, she makes a nice pair with Hanks. Ian McKellen however, has a rather interesting part; actually the only real surprise in the film came from him [spoiler](when it is revealed that he turned from a passionate scholar to absolute madman). [/spoiler] And Jean Reno. Don't know why, but why when he's always in supporting role, he's made a dork? Overall, The DaVinci Code isn't the movie that I would rewatch soon.

repoman

Doors (2021)

A sci-fi with minor horror elements.  Is actually a portmanteau (which is entirely my thing) but not a good one.  The Earth suddenly gets millions of weird alien doors.  Of course, the film's budget only allows you to see a couple of them (despite plenty of lingering location shots).

Of the four stories the first is really stupid because it's set in a school with a Breakfast Club set up except that all the characters are pointless.  The second is meaningless and weird.  The third is actually sort of okay.  The last clearly had a budget of about 10p to work with and was incredibly poor.

Anyway, don't bother.